Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Get your Stooge DVD/Blu Ray reviews here!

xraffle

Well, do you have a review I could read that has more detailed analysis of the video and audio?  Because what that guy wrote in his three reviews seemed to cover it pretty well:  he says they're close to pristine.  We know Sony hasn't screwed them up.  This is, after all, the third volume, and I haven't read anything from die-hard fans like you that says Sony  has screwed them up, so other than a problem with a specific short, which he doesn't mention, what more could he say?

Yes, I did write reviews on the first two volumes. Had you looked around the site a little more and tried arguing with me less, then you would have seen it. What's the big deal? My opinion was: the DVD review was vague. Why are you acting as if I commit such a terrible crime by saying that?

Here are my reviews on Volumes 1 and 2, in case you're interested:

Volume 1- http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=1933.0
Volume 2- http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=2388.0

BTW, falsealarms has a whole list of reviews on the original post. I thought DVD Beaver's review of Volumes 1 and 2 were excellent.

Offline falsealarms

Yes, I did write reviews on the first two volumes. Had you looked around the site a little more and tried arguing with me less, then you would have seen it. What's the big deal? My opinion was: the DVD review was vague. Why are you acting as if I commit such a terrible crime by saying that?

I'll add those to the list above... hopefully you it again for the 3rd.

Shempyshine

It's a common "straw man" argument to purposefully misinterpret something someone wrote, and then counter it.  Nothing in my posts suggest you committed a "terrible crime," as you put it.  I'm merely trying to understand why you chose to knock that review.  Reading over your two reviews, I didn't see much of anything that was truly substantial when it came to analysis of the A/V.  You merely went short by short, saying they looked better than they used to look on video and DVD.  Well...of course they do.  They've been cleaned up and restored.  You even indicate that audio was clipped off due to your player (what does that have to do with the actual audio quality of the discs?).  What you term "vague" in that guy's review, I term "pendantic" and "obvious" in yours.

No big deal.  I understand where you're coming from now.  No hard feelings, either -- isn't wasn't an argument; just questions.

xraffle

I hope I can make my point clearer this time. I'll do my best. The Volume 3 review on DVD Talk was vague if you compare it to the Volumes 1 and 2 reviews. In Volumes 1 and 2, the reviewer went more in detail as to how these shorts sound and look. No, I don't expect him to repeat himself, but I'm sure there is something that's in Volume 3 that's worth noting. If I'm expecting too much, then I apologize.

Like I said earlier, read the DVD Beaver reviews for Volumes 1 and 2. Those are excellent reviews and I'm anxious to see their review on Volume 3 if they plan on writing one.

AmalgamatedMoron

It's a common "straw man" argument to purposefully misinterpret something someone wrote, and then counter it.  Nothing in my posts suggest you committed a "terrible crime," as you put it.  I'm merely trying to understand why you chose to knock that review. ....What you term "vague" in that guy's review, I term "pendantic" (sic) and "obvious" in yours.

Shempyshine,

I noticed you just registered today, and your 5 posts are exclusive to this thread.  All of those posts are at least mildly hostile toward xraffle.  Could it be you are the very reviewer from DVDTalk under discussion here.  Or perhaps he's a good friend or relative.  It's just interesting to me that on your first posts here, you decide to take up a fight with a veteran of this forum over an issue that hardly seems worth arguing.  Unless of course it bruised your own pride?  Can't take a little criticism concerning what you write?  Get over it and go write another review.

Offline Stuartth

Howdy,

Stuart Galbraith IV here. A colleague alerted me to this thread. I have no idea who Shempyshine is, other than it ain't me. Maybe it's somebody I know, maybe not. If it is, no one's told me they're posting on this forum.

I strongly object to AmalgamatedMoron's utterly unfounded speculation, which has only made me take time away from other writing to deal with this frankly idiotic problem.

As for my reviews, you can read 'em or not -- I really don't care one way or the other. However, based on the email feedback I've been getting,  most fans of the team, whether casual or obsessive, can tell I'm writing with a genuine, informed, and lifelong affection for the Stooges.

From what I can see, 99% of the people writing in this forum feel the same way; I only wish its monitors would reign in folks like AmalgamatedMoron, who throw a wet blanket on everything with their (as it turns out, totally wrong) personal attacks.

Offline Stooges#1

I for one was not having a dig at you, i only said that your volume 3 review was shorter than the others.

Offline metaldams

Howdy,

Stuart Galbraith IV here. A colleague alerted me to this thread. I have no idea who Shempyshine is, other than it ain't me. Maybe it's somebody I know, maybe not. If it is, no one's told me they're posting on this forum.

I strongly object to AmalgamatedMoron's utterly unfounded speculation, which has only made me take time away from other writing to deal with this frankly idiotic problem.

As for my reviews, you can read 'em or not -- I really don't care one way or the other. However, based on the email feedback I've been getting,  most fans of the team, whether casual or obsessive, can tell I'm writing with a genuine, informed, and lifelong affection for the Stooges.

From what I can see, 99% of the people writing in this forum feel the same way; I only wish its monitors would reign in folks like AmalgamatedMoron, who throw a wet blanket on everything with their (as it turns out, totally wrong) personal attacks.

For physical proof, your IP address and Shempyshine's are not even close, so yeah, you're obviously not one and the same.

I'll just throw that little bit of information out there, and since I trust this won't get further out of hand, I'll let those involved settle this on their own.
- Doug Sarnecky

AmalgamatedMoron

Howdy,

Mr. Stuart Galbraith, I presume.  Thank you for your reply.  My last post was conjecture that was meant to be mostly tongue in cheek.  I hope you can understand my reaction to a person who appears to have opened an account for the express purpose of attacking the opinion of xraffle.  Who appeared to take the critique rather personally, and thus it appeared this person was being less than objective about xraffle's rather innocuous description of the review under discussion as "vague".  Unless it is purely coincidental that "shempyshine's" account was opened today, and the 5 posts thus offered by that person were a vehement defense of your article.  It's not the best way to introduce oneself to the forum.

I personally had no critique of your review, and thought it was a finely written piece.  But xraffle disagreed and drew the ire of someone--who I now candidly acknowledge is not you--and got into a pie throwing match (no pun intended).  I said what I did for the express purpose of drawing that individual out; to explain his or her subdued outrage over an opinion left by a veteran of this forum.

I apologize if you were offended, as I doubted that shempyshine was really you in the first place.  As I said, I liked your review of the DVD, and I meant no harm to your reputation.  Please accept my apology, and be sure to thank this person (shempyshine), who is obviously a true fan of your writing.

Sincerely,  Paul

xraffle

Howdy,

Stuart,

Like I said in an earlier post, I never intended to offend anyone. I'm actually shocked that the reviewers on DVD Talk actually read the posts on this site. Anyway, I never said your review was bad. Your review was actually good. You did a good job rating each short. It's just that I though you could have went more in detail about the video and audio quality. That's all. Opinions are allowed on this site, so that was my opinion on your review. If I hurt your feelings by saying it was vague, then I apologize.

x

Shempyshine

Shempyshine,

I noticed you just registered today, and your 5 posts are exclusive to this thread.  All of those posts are at least mildly hostile toward xraffle.  Could it be you are the very reviewer from DVDTalk under discussion here.  Or perhaps he's a good friend or relative.  It's just interesting to me that on your first posts here, you decide to take up a fight with a veteran of this forum over an issue that hardly seems worth arguing.  Unless of course it bruised your own pride?  Can't take a little criticism concerning what you write?  Get over it and go write another review.

I hadn't planned on coming back to this forum, but then I received another email indicating a response to my post, so I peeked back.  Unbelievable.  Looking back over the posts here, my posts have been described variously as, "a little offended," accusing someone of "a terrible crime," "at least mildly hostile," looking for a "fight," that I posted for the "express purpose of attacking," that I mounted a "vehement defense" of a writer I've never read before until you posted him, and most hilariously, my "subdued outrage."  Seriously; the two people who posted those comments need to step back and take a deep breath.  I defy anyone to point out anything in my posts that comes close to that hysterical hyperbole.

Even worse, you attack that guy who wrote the review, and actually accuse him of being me.  And yes, AmalgamatedMoron, that's precisely what you meant in your first post.  It wasn't "mostly tongue in cheek."  You meant it, and then the guy called you on it, and you had to back down.  And even in your apology, you still didn't sound convinced ("I presume," and telling him to "thank me.") 

I came to this site because I wanted info on the third volume of the Stooges DVD.  I hadn't read that guy before, until I scanned the links for the various Stooge reviews at the top of this forum.  His seemed pretty good (I wasn't aware of his site, either, but I'll be checking it out).  I'm no expert in the Stooges, but he gave me all the detail I needed.  I even checked out his earlier reviews on the Stooges that he mentioned in the review -- the ones that had more detail about A/V.  So when I saw the post about knocking his review, I simply wanted to understand what was wrong with it.  xraffle said at first he didn't know why he said what he said, but then gave a reason and posted his two reviews -- reviews that I didn't find any more detailed than that other guy Stuart.  As far as I was concerned, that was it for me:  I had my answer.  But then all sorts of incorrect inference was drawn from my posts, and I defended myself. 

You can reply to this post if you want, but I won't be back.  All I wanted was info on the Stooges DVD, and an answer as to why another review that I thought was fine, got knocked.  The two posters who turned this into something personal (with ridiculous, overemphatic readings of what I wrote -- seriously, "subdued outrage"???) are pretty typical of these kinds of forums -- that's why newcomers rarely sign up to speak.  Increasingly, these forums are just "internet back alleys" for bullies who don't like being questioned on their turf.  You can see that in the response from  Amalgamated -- his indignation that a newcomer would dare to question xraffle, is palpable. 

But that's fine.  Enjoy your forum.  I'll go elsewhere for info on the Stooges, I guess.

xraffle

Shempyshine,

I didn't mean for this to be such a big problem. I gave my opinion on a review and you were making a big deal about it. I would like to extend my apologies to you and Stuart for any trouble I may have caused. You see, you kept on questioning my opinion. You used phrases such as "What's the beef?" and it came out as if you were angry at my comment. I didn't mean to cause such a problem. You are free to question me. I don't know where you got that idea that you can't.

I gave it another chance, but it doesn't seem to be working out. Every time I give an opinion on something, a big mess occurs. I will refrain from opining on anything from now on.

x

P.S.- It doesn't look like I'm doing a good job posting here. I really don't want to be the cause for members leaving or for preventing new members from joining. So, I'll try not to post much to avoid anymore future problems. I apologize to Shempyshine, Stuart, and the admins for the trouble that I have caused. I never intended for this to happen.

Offline Stooges#1

Shempyshine,

So let me get this straight you went through all the trouble to register, which would've taken you about 10 minutes, all because you wanted to ask Xraffle why he called that review "vague"?  :laugh:

So you didnt want to pick a fight and that wasnt your sole purpose for registering? Please dont forget your promise to us and come back here to reply.

Offline Stooges#1

Shempyshine,

I didn't mean for this to be such a big problem. I gave my opinion on a review and you were making a big deal about it. I would like to extend my apologies to you and Stuart for any trouble I may have caused. You see, you kept on questioning my opinion. You used phrases such as "What's the beef?" and it came out as if you were angry at my comment. I didn't mean to cause such a problem. You are free to question me. I don't know where you got that idea that you can't.

I gave it another chance, but it doesn't seem to be working out. Every time I give an opinion on something, a big mess occurs. I will refrain from opining on anything from now on.

x

P.S.- It doesn't look like I'm doing a good job posting here. I really don't want to be the cause for members leaving or for preventing new members from joining. So, I'll try not to post much to avoid anymore future problems. I apologize to Shempyshine, Stuart, and the admins for the trouble that I have caused. I never intended for this to happen.

Mate you're a valued member of this forum and i would hate to see you leave. So please dont, Shempyshine and Stuart probably wont be back.

xraffle

Mate you're a valued member of this forum and i would hate to see you leave. So please dont, Shempyshine and Stuart probably wont be back.

I'm not leaving. I'll just try to post less to avoid anymore problems here.

Offline Stooges#1

Oh good, post as much as you want. No problems here.  [cool]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

Don't sweat it.  Personally, I'm not worried about the A/V quality at this point, so I thought you were more concerned about that than necessary, but it's no big deal.  (Sony's already demonstrated that they are doing a good job at remastering the shorts, so unless there is an actual A/V problem with a short I don't really expect reviewers of the DVDs to keep talking about it.)

I think Stooges#1 expressed my own reaction to this "controversy" in his comments to Shempyshine, above.  It appears to me that the guy registered just to start trouble.  Don't worry about causing a controversy by saying something.  There are far too many overly sensitive people these days who can't stand to be contradicted or criticized.  I don't like criticism either, but unless someone convinces me that I was wrong I stick by my guns, and those who don't like it can bloody well lump it.   ;D

As I've said before, I don't ban people for having an opinion, regardless of whether or not I agree with them.  If someone gets banned over an opinion around here, it's only because they're being particularly rude and obnoxious about it (and then usually because they're being rude and obnoxious to the admins, who can do something about that!)   ;)

xraffle

Don't sweat it.  Personally, I'm not worried about the A/V quality at this point, so I thought you were more concerned about that than necessary, but it's no big deal.  (Sony's already demonstrated that they are doing a good job at remastering the shorts, so unless there is an actual A/V problem with a short I don't really expect reviewers of the DVDs to keep talking about it.)

I think Stooges#1 expressed my own reaction to this "controversy" in his comments to Shempyshine, above.  It appears to me that the guy registered just to start trouble.  Don't worry about causing a controversy by saying something.  There are far too many overly sensitive people these days who can't stand to be contradicted or criticized.  I don't like criticism either, but unless someone convinces me that I was wrong I stick by my guns, and those who don't like it can bloody well lump it.   ;D

As I've said before, I don't ban people for having an opinion, regardless of whether or not I agree with them.  If someone gets banned over an opinion around here, it's only because they're being particularly rude and obnoxious about it (and then usually because they're being rude and obnoxious to the admins, who can do something about that!)   ;)

I'm not too worried about the quality either. It's just that when I looked at the review, I was expecting to read more about the A/V quality. So, I thought I'd post here and say what I thought of it.

It did look like this guy was trying to start trouble, but he claimed that he wasn't and that I was misreading his post. And because Paul and I misread his post, he left the site. He even claimed that this is why new members rarely post here. I really hate to be the cause of this because the more members this site has, the better it is.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Actually, only a small percentage of people who register here ever post, and that's been true since the very beginning.  I'd say that only about 5-6% ever actually post or actively participate, if that.  I've never worried about it, though, since the forum is the least important part of the site.

There used to be a number of Stooges-related boards in the past, but most of them disappeared (thanks in large part to our friend ISLIPP's nonsense.)  This board is still around just because I'm too stubborn and opinionated to give up.  (It's the Scot in me; we're just naturally rebellious, I guess.)

Offline falsealarms

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Lets hope these boards don't go anywhere.

They won't.  As I said, I'm too stubborn to give up.   [braveheart]

I've also begun to make arrangements to continue this site after I'm gone.  I've put too much into this effort into the site, and so has BeAStooge and the Team Stooge members; I'm not willing to let it fall to the wayside when I'm dead (although that will hopefully be years away, God willing.)

xraffle

They won't.  As I said, I'm too stubborn to give up.   [braveheart]

I've also begun to make arrangements to continue this site after I'm gone.  I've put to much into this effort into the site, and so has BeAStooge and the Team Stooge members; I'm not willing to let it fall to the wayside when I'm dead (although that will hopefully be years away, God willing.)

Yeah, don't give up. This site is the best Three Stooges site out there. And there is so much on this site. It would be devastating to just tear it all down.

It's nice to see that you're willing to keep this site after you're gone. I bet Shemps#1 will be the new Administrator. ;)

AmalgamatedMoron

I hadn't planned on coming back to this forum, but then I received another email indicating a response to my post, so I peeked back.  Unbelievable.  Looking back over the posts here, my posts have been described variously as, "a little offended," accusing someone of "a terrible crime," "at least mildly hostile," looking for a "fight," that I posted for the "express purpose of attacking," that I mounted a "vehement defense" of a writer I've never read before until you posted him, and most hilariously, my "subdued outrage."  Seriously; the two people who posted those comments need to step back and take a deep breath. I defy anyone to point out anything in my posts that comes close to that hysterical hyperbole.

Even worse, you attack that guy who wrote the review, and actually accuse him of being me.  And yes, AmalgamatedMoron, that's precisely what you meant in your first post.  It wasn't "mostly tongue in cheek."  You meant it, and then the guy called you on it, and you had to back down.  And even in your apology, you still didn't sound convinced ("I presume," and telling him to "thank me.") 

I came to this site because I wanted info on the third volume of the Stooges DVD.  I hadn't read that guy before, until I scanned the links for the various Stooge reviews at the top of this forum.  His seemed pretty good (I wasn't aware of his site, either, but I'll be checking it out).  I'm no expert in the Stooges, but he gave me all the detail I needed.  I even checked out his earlier reviews on the Stooges that he mentioned in the review -- the ones that had more detail about A/V.  So when I saw the post about knocking his review, I simply wanted to understand what was wrong with it.  xraffle said at first he didn't know why he said what he said, but then gave a reason and posted his two reviews -- reviews that I didn't find any more detailed than that other guy Stuart.  As far as I was concerned, that was it for me:  I had my answer.  But then all sorts of incorrect inference was drawn from my posts, and I defended myself. 

You can reply to this post if you want, but I won't be back.  All I wanted was info on the Stooges DVD, and an answer as to why another review that I thought was fine, got knocked.  The two posters who turned this into something personal (with ridiculous, overemphatic readings of what I wrote -- seriously, "subdued outrage"???) are pretty typical of these kinds of forums -- that's why newcomers rarely sign up to speak.  Increasingly, these forums are just "internet back alleys" for bullies who don't like being questioned on their turf.  You can see that in the response from  Amalgamated -- his indignation that a newcomer would dare to question xraffle, is palpable. 

But that's fine.  Enjoy your forum.  I'll go elsewhere for info on the Stooges, I guess.

Wow!  Talk about being overly sensitive.  This guy has an agenda, something to prove, doesn't he?  Just so we are clear, let's remember what he said.  Because he "defies anyone" to point out anything in his posts that comes close to the "hysterical hyperbole" suggested by xraffle and myself.  And let's remember, he only came here for "info" on the third volume of the Stooges Collection.  He first said:

Actually, it's the longest of the three articles that reviewer wrote.  And I don't think it's "vague" at all.  He details each short, and tells you what he does and doesn't like about them.  He obviously knows the Stooges (and loves them), so what's "vague" about it?

Ok, an honest question.  No big deal so far (though I'm curious how he knows the reviewer "loves" the Stooges).  He's answered, and then responds with this:

Well, I don't think that review is intended strictly for the readers of this forum, do you?  It's a general review for general audiences -- many of whom might not be familiar with the shorts. 

As for the audio/visual quality, he states quite clearly that it's as good as the first two volumes -- which he detailed in the two earlier reviews (why repeat in detail what he's already detailed?) -- reviews, by the way, that everybody here seem to find okay.  So what's the beef?

Continues to push the issue, and is answered again.  He responds with this:

Nothing in my posts suggest I'm offended; not sure why you'd read them that way.
I'm just trying to understand why you find the review lacking.  But you state you don't really know why, so there's my answer.

He claims he has his answer, but continues anyway.

Well, do you have a review I could read that has more detailed analysis of the video and audio?  Because what that guy wrote in his three reviews seemed to cover it pretty well:  he says they're close to pristine.  We know Sony hasn't screwed them up.  This is, after all, the third volume, and I haven't read anything from die-hard fans like you that says Sony has screwed them up, so other than a problem with a specific short, which he doesn't mention, what more could he say?

Where exactly did xraffle say that "Sony screwed them up"?  Hmmm....I'm beginning to wonder why this guy is so upset that he's making up alleged quotes out of whole cloth, or at least suggests that xraffle insinuated such a thing.?  In fact, xraffle wrote of Volume 2:

Overall, Sony did an excellent job with this set. They did a much better job than I expected and I hope they keep up the good work.

Shempyshine continues:

It's a common "straw man" argument to purposefully misinterpret something someone wrote, and then counter it.  Nothing in my posts suggest you committed a "terrible crime," as you put it.  I'm merely trying to understand why you chose to knock that review.  Reading over your two reviews, I didn't see much of anything that was truly substantial when it came to analysis of the A/V.  You merely went short by short, saying they looked better than they used to look on video and DVD.  Well...of course they do.  They've been cleaned up and restored.  You even indicate that audio was clipped off due to your player (what does that have to do with the actual audio quality of the discs?).  What you term "vague" in that guy's review, I term "pendantic" and "obvious" in yours.
No big deal.  I understand where you're coming from now.  No hard feelings, either -- isn't wasn't an argument; just questions.

No hard feelings of course, but xraffle is "pendantic" (sic) in his reviews.  Riiight, it's just "questions" he has.  But wait, he's not finished yet.  Thus we have his final post quoted above.  He says:

So I attacked the "guy who wrote the review", rather than using a clever ploy to find out if in fact it was Mr. Galbraith.  Shempyshine knows this because God has endowed him with omniscience, and thus he read my mind and knew full well my intentions, my assertion to the contrary notwithstanding.  My intent was to draw the gentleman out, on the slight chance that it was actually him.  Given the possibility that it was him, or at least was a fan of Mr. Galbraith, because shempyshine so vociferously defended him.  After he actually showed up (to my surprise) and revealed himself, that issue was resolved. 

Shempyshine then enlightens everyone that I did not truly apologize to Mr. Galbraith because I didn't "sound convinced".  Apparently he has a gift for hearing voice inflections in text type.  Even when there is a complete lack of sarcasm.  I was rather serious in apologizing for offending Mr. Galbraith, and in suggesting he thank shempyshine, who obviously has a fondness for his writing.  Though he is misguided in how he handles his "disagreement" with anyone who dares to question that which he deems fine and dandy.

After Mr. Galbraith posted here, I allegedly "had to back down".  Hardly--I succeeded in accomplishing what I set out to do.  Discover if in fact Shempyshine and Stuart Galbraith were one and the same.  Now we know.  I apologized to Mr. Galbraith, and chastised shempyshine for his behavior.  Mission accomplished.  Elvis has left the building!

Offline Justin T

Lets hope these boards don't go anywhere.

I totally agree, I love coming here.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

AmalgamatedMoron