Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooges article

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Here's a link to yet another stooges article reprinted from 1965.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/08/28/PKGJNCF2F71.DTL

A few more articles on the boys turned up after typing "stooges" in the URL's search engine.
You may want to type in "three stooges" unless you're a fan of Iggy Pop as well.

Offline Waldo Twitchell

For the record, the article I just posted has several factual errors that should be common knowledge amongst most of the posters on this site.

Here's a rundown:

Moe was 5' 4", not less than 5 feet tall.
Joe Besser made 16 stooges comedies, not 15.
Larry got stabbed in the forehead with the quill-pen, not Curly.

Just my two cents.

Offline JazzBill

"Howard is conspicuously missing the Beatle-style wig he has always worn in his pictures" Thats bullshit, the Howard boys were all blessed with a good healthy head of hair.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
It seems every article I read on the Stooges is full of errors! Moe "Might even own the studio by now"?  "...And affluent"? Sure they were successful, but they were not the highest paid entertainers at Columbia. They had to borrow sets from whatever other movies Columbia was working on at the time. I don't know about their salaries after they were resigned by Columbia, but during their first run at Columbia, they never got a raise, as most fans know. Hell, Joe Besser was paid more than the others due to his pre-existing solo contract with Columbia! I'm amazed that an article from a time when they were still active would be so full of inaccuracies!
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Moe "Might even own the studio by now"?  "...And affluent"? Sure they were successful, but they were not the highest paid entertainers at Columbia. They had to borrow sets from whatever other movies Columbia was working on at the time. I don't know about their salaries after they were resigned by Columbia, but during their first run at Columbia, they never got a raise, as most fans know.

In Moe's case, yes, he was "affluent." He invested wisely in real estate in Toluca Lake's Riverside Dr. business stretch, as well as some selected properties in and around Hollywood and the Valley. The move to an upscale area of the Hollywood Hills in 1954, from his Toluca Lake house (make no mistake, also a very nice neighborhood), was due more to his personal earnings, not his professional income.

The Stooges not receiving a raise is a myth, an over-generalization (largely started by Moe himself in later interviews) that's been repeated so often, it's regarded as fact. But, the team started out making $20,000 split three ways for a year's worth of shorts in 1935. By the mid-1950s, Moe and Larry each received $20,000, the equivalent of $2500/wk for an 8-week production cycle... Besser received $3500/wk.

But taking into account the 20-year economic growth between Depression 1930s and post-war 1950s, a change of $6,667 to $20,000 each, for screen stars who earned millions for their studio... it's easy to understand how Moe (and Larry) often over-generalized that they never received a raise in 24 years.

Offline kinderscenen

I'm assuming that the reporter was over six feet (not likely), so I'm not sure where the "less than 5 feet tall" comment came from.  If someone's less than 5 feet, you definitely know it.

As for the owning the studio comment, considering the $$ Columbia saved by re-using sets and the relatively "cheap" cost of making the shorts, the profit margin must have been pretty good!

I can't remember if it was in Larry's last interview or what, but he again mentioned the often told tale about not getting a raise in 24 years and the fact that the Stooges didn't have a contract with Columbia, but a handshake agreement with Harry Cohn. Then in "Stroke of Luck", he mentioned that the deal they got from Columbia was rather good--not great, considering--but good.

I still can't understand the lack of knowledge by the reporter--hell, they were STILL performing! If Moe wore a wig, it was the finest wig I've ever seen in my life.  He could've gone into the wig business!
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Speaking of inaccuracies:  I read one article that included the Stooges in a list of "acts that survived significant personnel changes".  Besides getting some dates wrong, it said something to the effect that Shemp was dropped from the act (as opposed to dying!).
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.