Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

New Stooges book?

Offline falsealarms

Frankly, I was surprised to hear of a new Stooges book when I browsed the index of the latest 3S Journal. It looks quite interesting, but has anyone here read it? It was published back in April, but I don't recall any discussion of it on here. One Fine Stooge, perhaps the finest Stooges book ever published, didn't get too many people talking either, so maybe I shouldn't get surprised. This new book (only 74 pages) reminds me of Bob Bernet's website, but much more detailed. As of now, it's not in the bibilography on this site.

Offline garystooge

I'm friendly with the author of this book and he sent me a copy to check out, so I might be a bit biased in my opinion. I can't say that this is a must-read, because much of the information is already well-known to hardcore Stooges fans. However, I do feel that this book does bring something to the table. While most Stooges books were written from the vantage point of a researcher, a film historian or a relative, this book was written purely from the vantage point of a fan.  It's one thing to hear Moe's children say that Moe recognized the importance of his fans, but it's quite different to hear it from the kid that he corresponded with, encouraged and inspired. This unique perspective of Moe Howard is really the essence of what this book is all about.
Gary

Offline falsealarms

I would certainly hope reprints of his letters with Moe are in the book, but at 74 pages, I have my doubts. I'll probably pick up a copy eventually, but it was a very curious call if those letters (or some of them) weren't reprinted in the book.

Apprently it is also available as an e-book and exceprts can be found at that site.

Offline garystooge

I would certainly hope reprints of his letters with Moe are in the book, but at 74 pages, I have my doubts. I'll probably pick up a copy eventually, but it was a very curious call if those letters (or some of them) weren't reprinted in the book.

There are only 2 letters and 2 autographed photos that are reprinted in the book. Like I said in my first post, if you're expecting something earth-shattering from this book, you should spend the $10 elsewhere. But I can assure you that the author is not trying to finance his retirement from this book...he did it purely as a labor of love. I know that seems hard to believe in this day and age, but there are still some people out there who do things without regard to whether they make a buck or not.
Gary