Three Stooges Comicography added

Dunrobin · 21 · 14031

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I am pleased to announce the debut of a new feature on the site: the Three Stooges Comicography.  (You can find the page on the Site Menu under "Stooge Info".)

The Comicography will be a listing of every Three Stooges comic book every released, with as much info about every issue as can possibly be gathered (naturally.)  There is even a JavaScript slide show for issues that have multiple images available.  A huge round of applause to BeAStooge for not only inspiring the feature but for inputting a ton of data and images in just a few days!

I will be adding an additional feature to the Comicography: the ability for members to track their Three Stooges comics collection as a part of My Stooges.  I haven't started it yet, but since I've got another 5 day weekend coming up starting on Wednesday, I hope to get it written this week.  (Then on to adapting this site for TheMarxBrothers.net!)

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
(Then on to adapting this site for TheMarxBrothers.net!)

... a natural progression, if I may be so mathematical.
(I'll have to think up a new handle ... hhmmm ... Stinko - Bluto - Gummo - Waxon - Waxoff ... naah)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I'm also wondering ... you were able to post most of our beloved boys' short subjects due to the VERY tiny screen size and have garnered little or no ill will from C3/Sony/Etc (as you have conjectured). IS there a possibility of having the same service available in your projected TheMarxBrothers.net? ... a VERY tiny A Night at the Opera is better than nothing.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I'm also wondering ... you were able to post most of our beloved boys' short subjects due to the VERY tiny screen size and have garnered little or no ill will from C3/Sony/Etc (as you have conjectured). IS there a possibility of having the same service available in your projected TheMarxBrothers.net? ... a VERY tiny A Night at the Opera is better than nothing.

I didn't make those Realplayer videos.  Someone (I don't remember who any more) sent them to me on a CD years ago.  I suspect that no one has ever bothered me about them because they are pretty crappy.

Offline falsealarms

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Just would like to agree with "False Alarms" this is a wonderful addition to the site.  Plus it gives you a good look at the books before purchasing.  Thank you Rob for another well done job. 

Moron4392

Offline archiezappa

I am pleased to announce the debut of a new feature on the site: the Three Stooges Comicography.  (You can find the page on the Site Menu under "Stooge Info".)

The Comicography will be a listing of every Three Stooges comic book every released, with as much info about every issue as can possibly be gathered (naturally.)  There is even a JavaScript slide show for issues that have multiple images available.  A huge round of applause to BeAStooge for not only inspiring the feature but for inputting a ton of data and images in just a few days!

I will be adding an additional feature to the Comicography: the ability for members to track their Three Stooges comics collection as a part of My Stooges.  I haven't started it yet, but since I've got another 5 day weekend coming up starting on Wednesday, I hope to get it written this week.  (Then on to adapting this site for TheMarxBrothers.net!)

I'd like to know some more about TheMarxBrothers.net.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Just would like to agree with "False Alarms" this is a wonderful addition to the site.  Plus it gives you a good look at the books before purchasing.  Thank you Rob for another well done job. 

Moron4392

It's actually BeAStooge that deserves the credit:  it was his idea, and he is the one who has entered all of the data and images.  I only provided him the tools.*   ;)

*  He also deserves a lot of praise for having the patience of a saint. He had to wait months for me to get the code finished.   :-[

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I'd like to know some more about TheMarxBrothers.net.

There isn't much to tell yet, Archie.  I recently realized that the domain name was available, so I registered it with the intention of adapting the coding I've written for ThreeStooges.net to make a sister site dedicated to the Marx brothers. I hope to launch it sometime in the Spring.

Offline archiezappa

There isn't much to tell yet, Archie.  I recently realized that the domain name was available, so I registered it with the intention of adapting the coding I've written for ThreeStooges.net to make a sister site dedicated to the Marx brothers. I hope to launch it sometime in the Spring.

Sounds cool!  I can't wait to see it.  I'm also a fan of the Marx Brothers.  Great stuff.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I didn't make those Realplayer videos.  Someone (I don't remember who any more) sent them to me on a CD years ago.  I suspect that no one has ever bothered me about them because they are pretty crappy.

So ... maybe perhaps we could have volunteer LARGER uploaded videos without the same minuscule scrutinized crap from c3/Sony? (or is the current owners still vehemently selfish about images that are 65 or better years old?)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
So ... maybe perhaps we could have volunteer LARGER uploaded videos without the same minuscule scrutinized crap from c3/Sony? (or is the current owners still vehemently selfish about images that are 65 or better years old?)

The legal problem would be with Sony, which holds the rights to the shorts, and frankly I have no desire to tangle with Sony's lawyers. 

The other problem with larger files would be bandwidth.  Even those smaller, crappy files can suck up a hell of lot of bandwidth in a month when they get a lot of views, and that gets expensive.  (I just had to bump up the site's bandwidth allotment, since we came close to exceeding it again.)

Offline WhyIOughta

Offline Hammond Eggar

Hey Dunrobin!  Thanks for adding the Comicology.  It was a need addition to the site, and you have done a wonderful job with it.  Good luck with you plans for a Marx Brothers site. 
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Hey Dunrobin!  Thanks for adding the Comicology.  It was a need addition to the site, and you have done a wonderful job with it.  Good luck with you plans for a Marx Brothers site. 

Thanks, Hammond, but BeAStooge deserves the major kudos - he entered all the data and pictures.  I just built the framework for him.   ;D

Check our the Videography and Discography pages again, too.  We've added pictures!   [artist]

Offline Hammond Eggar

This has always been a top-notch wesite, and a great tribute to our boys.  C3 could learn a thing or two about puttng together a proper Stooges website.  Their site is simply sad and pathetic. :-\
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline metaldams

C3 could learn a thing or two about puttng together a proper Stooges website.  Their site is simply sad and pathetic. :-\

I haven't been to that place in years.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

I'm guessing they don't mail out the Soitenly Stooges catalog anymore. I used to get that.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Dog Hambone

I'm guessing they don't mail out the Soitenly Stooges catalog anymore. I used to get that.

It's now called Shop Knuckleheads. Same for the website. I just got their catalog the other day. I didn't see any comic books in there, but I don't recall having seen any in the Soitenly Stooges catalog, either. By the way, they want $24.95 for each of the new Stooges DVD collections issued by Sony. As we all know, you can save some bucks by buying them through Amazaon. 

Offline falsealarms

They do, but only if you ask, apparently. http://www.shopknuckleheads.com/catalog_requests.asp

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

The Comicography will be a listing of every Three Stooges comic book every released, with as much info about every issue as can possibly be gathered (naturally.)  There is even a JavaScript slide show for issues that have multiple images available.

Update:
Three Stooges Comicography has been updated over the past several months to include Abbott & Costello and Laurel & Hardy.

I'd like to take this opportunity to belatedly thank Joe Messerli, Western Publishing artist who worked on many of the early Three Stooges Dell/KK/Gold Key issues, for his assistance in confirming his credits, as well as some of his peers' credits. Plus, Joe Kubert and Joan Howard Maurer for their kind feedback.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:39:49 PM by BeAStooge »