Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Harry Langdon Roach talkies and other "stuff"

Offline NoahYoung

"Watch'em" before they possibly get removed! :)
https://archive.org/details/harry-langdon_202406

I only saw these once, about 15+ years ago, on TCM, but I don't remember seeing HOTTER THAN HOT, whose soundtrack disc is still lost.

The best one is THE SHRIMP, but even that is kind of weak, I think. I am a fan of his Sennett silent shorts, though.

The uploader has a lot of other good, fairly rare, stuff. Have a look:

https://archive.org/details/@comedy_shorts_and_other_shows

The thing with Roach films other than Laurel and Hardy, and Our Gang, is you really need to "hand pick" the good stuff, although there is a lot of good Charley Chase, but they still can be hit-or-miss.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline metaldams

These shorts are available on DVD as well.  We’re pretty lucky with all the Roach stuff now available.  I remember twenty years ago it was hard for me getting some Laurel and Hardy talkies.  How times have changed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

These shorts are available on DVD as well. 

Yea, but I'm a cheapskate. Except when it comes to buying stuff like this on celluloid with sprocket holes, which is what I save my money for.
 [pie]

I remember twenty years ago it was hard for me getting some Laurel and Hardy talkies.  How times have changed.

Yes, in region 1 DVDs, the L&H Roach talkies weren't available until 2011. But they were available on VHS starting in the early 80s, in various configs. I taped all the L&H that AMC cable showed in the 90s, even though I had (and still have) the L&H Shows I taped in the 80s, and the Nostalgia Merchant VHS dubs I have. I also taped most of the L&H Roach features shown on broadcast TV in the years before the L&H Show restorations. And I now have them all on 16mm, 8mm, or Super 8 film, which I started collecting in the 70s. Whew!
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz