Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

One Shivery Night (1950) - Hugh Herbert

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145204/

ONE SHIVERY NIGHT was the fourth of the Herbert-Dickerson scare comedies, but the second one available for us to review at this time.  It's a basic plot for sure: Hugh and Dudley are hired to turn a mansion into a fishing lodge.  From there, everything spirals into a full-blown scare comedy as Hugh and Dudley encounter claim jumpers who want to destroy the house for hidden riches.

Now, some might find this offensive because Dudley does his typical role in the scare reel, but the first reel establishes he and Hugh as two incompetent workers who will gladly cheat each other out of a dollar or a bite to eat.  We get some great moments with Vernon Dent, who is as irascible as ever, and then we get Phil Van Zandt and Robert Williams (remember A BIRD IN THE HEAD?), the former of whom is always solid in a sinister role.

You should recognize that mask from a certain Three Stooges short.  Who knows what short that costume was used in?

There are plenty of laughs and physical comedy (and even a scene where Dudley does a somersault without a stunt double!) in this one, but it's not as solid as GET ALONG, LITTLE ZOMBIE.  The plot is a bit weak, there are some long gaps between laughs, and there is no resolution to the plot.

7/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

I thought the beginning of the short up to the scare stuff was very good. What I like best about The Three Stooges are the work comedies where they cause a huge mess (like Goof on the Roof) and the beginning up to when the crooks pretend to be ghosts was very good. A lot of funny slapstick moments like when they hit each other with the ladder and when the termites punch them through the walls. The scene with Vernon Dent was also a highlight. Now as for the scare comedy section, I think it was actually good judging by itself, but compared to what happened before it didn't match up.

Offline metaldams

The masks are from HOT SCOTS.

Another excellent short!  I’m noticing the 1950 release date and Del Lord directing.  Good to see Del back and it shows with all the crazy slapstick he specializes in.  The ladder gag and Dudley’s head was top notch and the scare stuff pretty funny, mostly thanks to Dudley.  Billing aside, this is unquestionably a Herbert/Dickerson short, they are a team throughout.

As far as Hugh Herbert, here, more than any other place, I’m really noticing the Curly Howardisms!  Lots of little verbal ticks throughout the short, but especially apparent when he takes the wrong drink earlier on.  He supposedly influenced Curly and I can see it here.

Loved the part when Hugh gets locked in the closet and dragged out through the wall in a very THEY STOOGE TO CONGA type way.  Again, very Del Lord.  A fun short overall.  Turn off the brain and enjoy the comfort food of a Del Lord directed fright fest.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Allen Champion

My regard for HH rises every time I see him in something other than THE BLACK CAT 1941.  I feel now that I've misjudged him all these years.   And its always good to discover a "new" scare comedy.  Somebody should write a book about 'em!
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Glad to see Doug and Allen also enjoyed this Halloween diversion into a couple Hugh Herbert shorts.  We'll finish his available shorts after we have finished Andy Clyde.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Allen Champion

WARNING:  THIS POST IS A PERSONAL REMINISCENCE AND THUS IS MEANINGLESS

Growing up in Chicago in the mid-1960s, our local Three Stooges Show was hosted by Chicago TV personality Bob Bell, who also played Bozo the Clown on our local "Bozo's Circus."    He hosted the Stooges as Andy Starr, custodian of the "Old Odeon Theatre."  His makeup so closely resembled Andy Clyde that for a long time I thought he was Andy Clyde.
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"