Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Man or Mouse (1948) - Sterling Holloway

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174899/

MAN OR MOUSE is a fun little short that involves only 3 actors: Sterling as Elmer Dinkle, Noel Neil as his fiancé, and Edgar Dearing as her father. 

The plot is original and fun in this one.  The jokes get a bit old as it's basically all written around the concept of Sterling being so weak he can barely function, while his girlfriend can box, lift weights, etc.  It is fun, however, just because it almost all just shows funny things happening to people who, aside from the harm dished out, are more-or-less enjoying the situations.  Overall, though, the short moves quickly and never gets stale at any point.

Noel Neil and Edgar Dearing shouldn't need any introductions to most seasoned viewers here.  Both of them work really well here with Sterling to help make a fun short.  Sterling also is strong here as the timid weakling character suits him well.

Enjoy this fascinating bit of film history.

9/10
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 09:20:10 PM by Paul Pain »
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

Wow, I didn't know Noel Neill was in a Columbia comedy short, did she appear in any more? For those that don't know, she played Lois Lane in the Superman serials, and also in the 1950s Adventures of Superman TV series.

This is certainly my favorite of the Sterling Holloway shorts so far, I like that it mainly revolves around slapstick violence instead of a marriage mixup, and being a pro wrestling fan myself I liked seeing Edgar Dearing do the spin that Lou Thesz used.

Offline metaldams

What a concept.  Forsake the whole bedroom drama thing and write a comedy that suits the actual comedian.  This is a fine short and Sterling Holloway as a weakling trying to muscle up to impress his future father in law works just fine.  Love the boxing match, the inflatable suit, the wrestling match and the phone gag at the beginning.  Entertaining all around and a refreshing non Stooge Columbia short where the comic is a fleshed out character.  I dig the father in law tearing up a telephone book as well - reminds me of GENTS IN A JAM.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
      What a concept.  Forsake the whole bedroom drama thing and write a comedy that suits the actual comedian.  This is a fine short and Sterling Holloway as a weakling trying to muscle up to impress his future father in law works just fine.  Love the boxing match, the inflatable suit, the wrestling match and the phone gag at the beginning.  Entertaining all around and a refreshing non Stooge Columbia short where the comic is a fleshed out character.  I dig the father in law tearing up a telephone book as well - reminds me of GENTS IN A JAM.

It is an impressive effort.  It's a shame that the two best Sterling Holloway shorts turned out to be the last two.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Well, you all know how I felt about the first two Holloway shorts...imagine how I feel about a short all about him getting beat up. Actually, that’s not entirely true. I do like the mix-ups at the beginning with Holloway on the phone with his girlfriend and her father. And, although the fighting scenes are a bit hard for me to watch, I at least like when they get Holloway angry, as that is more in line with the eccentric personalities I think he especially excelled at. Overall, it’s actually a really good idea for a short and Holloway is good at both his timid personality and “fake bravery” personality. Noel Neil is funny with her line delivery during the fight scene, especially when she says “I’m only doing this because I love you”. And at least some of the physical stuff like the backflips is clearly done by stunt doubles.

“Elmer, are you a man or a mouse?”

Of course he’s a mouse, haven’t you seen BEN AND ME?

[pie]
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com