Shemp Goes Rambling 'Round Radio Row

Linked Events

• Shemp Ramblin on Radio Row DVD: November 19, 2009 - November 25, 2009

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
From Rich Finegan...

One of Shemp Howard's Vitaphone shorts, RAMBLING 'ROUND RADIO ROW # 7 (Series 2 # 1), one of the "Ramblin' 'Round Radio Row" series, is coming on DVD as part of a set of Vitaphone music & band shorts. Let's hope future sets will include more of Shemp's Vitaphones.

This news just in, from Ron [Hutchinson] of The Vitaphone Project:
Warner Archive has just issued a 6 DVD set of Vitaphone band shorts. While not shown on their website, below is a list of the shorts included. Although these were put out in the 90's on laserdisc (only), under 1,000 were sold so this is new to most people. Also plans are in the works for additional Vitaphone shorts multi-DVD sets, including many rare pre-1931 restorations.

Please spread the word so that they will keep issuing this stuff! Here's the list…

Warner Bros. BIG BAND, JAZZ & SWING-SHORT SUBJECTS (6 DISCS)

DISC 1: Ramblin' `Round Radio Row #1 (1932-33)
Ramblin' `Round Radio Row #2 (1932-33)
Ramblin' `Round Radio Row #3 (1932-33)
Ramblin' `Round Radio Row #4 (1932-33)
Ramblin' `Round Radio Row #5 (1932-33)
Ramblin' `Round Radio Row #6 (1932-33)
Ramblin' `Round Radio Row #1 (1933-34)
Ramblin' `Round Radio Row #2 (1933-34)
Ramblin' `Round Radio Row #1 (1934-35)
The Yacht Party
The Audition

DISC 2: Yamekraw
Smash Your Baggage
That's the Spirit
Pie, Pie Blackbird
Rufus Jones for President
All Colored Vaudeville Show
King for a Day
The Black Network

DISC 3: Eddie Duchin & Orchestra
Mills Blue Rhythm Band
Isham Jones & His Orchestra
Ben Pollack & His Orchestra
Dave Apollon & Co. in The Wishing Stone
Johnny Green & His Orchestra
Borrah Minevitch & His Harmonica Rascals
Red Nichols & His World Famous Pennies
George Hall & His Orchestra
Harry Reser & His Eskimos
Little Jack Little & Orchestra

DISC 4: Jimmie Lunceford & His Dance Orchestra
B.A. Rolfe & His Orchestra in Off the Record
Leon Navara & His Orchestra in Sin-Copation
Cab Calloway & His Orchestra in Hi De Ho
Freddie Rich & His Orchestra
Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra
Larry Clinton & His Orchestra with Carol Bruce
Ray Kinney & His Royal Hawaiian Orchestra
Swing Cat's Jamboree
Saturday Night Swing Club
Larry Clinton & His Orchestra in The Dispy Doodler

DISC 5: Ozzie Nelson & His Orchestra
Artie Shaw & His Orchestra in Symphony of Swing
Vincent Lopez & His Orchestra with Betty Hutton
Frances Carroll & the Coquettes
Larry Clinton & His Orchestra with Bea Wain
Rita Rio & Her Orchestra
Artie Shaw & His Orchestra
Henry Busse & His Orchestra
Cliff Edwards & His Buckaroos
Woody Herman & His Orchestra
Skinnay Ennis & His Orchestra

DISC 6: Hal Kemp & His Orchestra
Glen Gray & the Casa Loma Orchestra
Six Hits and a Miss
Borrah Minevitch & His Harmonica School
Ozzie Nelson & His Orchestra
Jammin' the Blues
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys
Jan Savitt & His Band
Spade Cooley, King of Western Swing
Stan Kenton and Orchestra
Desi Arnaz & His Orchestra

Offline archiezappa

Are these restored, like the 3 Stooges sets?  Now, that would be awesome.  I hope they put out a DVD set of the Shemp Howard series.  That would be a perfect compliment to the Stooges sets.  Now, if we can only get WB to put out a set of all of the Ted Healy & His Stooges shorts restored.  You know, Curly in color?

Offline Smaug

Now, if we can only get WB to put out a set of all of the Ted Healy & His Stooges shorts restored.  You know, Curly in color?
I thought it was MGM, or did WB buy them?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I thought it was MGM, or did WB buy them?

MGM/UA sold its MGM library to Turner Entertainment in 1986. Turner was acquired by Time-Warner in 1996.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Are these restored

The Warner Archive is a DVD-R, burn-on-demand service. It utilizes the available masters from the Warner Brothers library, not restorations.

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Hello:

I have just a quick question please?  It maybe posted and I missed it, but could anyone tell when they are going release this DVD Box Set?  I am interested in "Rambling Round Raido Row."  Thank you.

Diane Thompson
Moron4392

Offline falsealarms

Hello:

I have just a quick question please?  It maybe posted and I missed it, but could anyone tell when they are going release this DVD Box Set?  I am interested in "Rambling Round Raido Row."  Thank you.

Diane Thompson
Moron4392

The Warner Archive website burns on demand, so it's available anytime you want it. Ships to US destinations only.

Offline Larry Fine Fan

Oooh! These look great! I sure can't wait to see them!

I have a question: Can anybody tell me if the Shemp Cocktail DVD set is any good? I'd like it for Christmas, but wanted to hear your input first.

Thanks.

Offline falsealarms

I have a question: Can anybody tell me if the Shemp Cocktail DVD set is any good? I'd like it for Christmas, but wanted to hear your input first.

Thanks.

Skip that. It had a lot of promise, but it ended up being a waste of time. There isn't much on it that isn't available elsewhere.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Can anybody tell me if the Shemp Cocktail DVD set is any good? I'd like it for Christmas, but wanted to hear your input first.

Film programs on the collection are strictly public domain. Its Passport Video listing in the Three Stooges Videography details the program contents.

The DVD set also includes a 40-minute visit with Shemp's daughter-in-law, granddaughter and niece, talking about Shemp, and sharing photos and home movies from Shemp's & Babe's scrapbook archives. If you feel that is worth the price of the set, then it is worthwhile. New copies are fairly cheap at Amazon and other web-retailers.

Passport Video is reportedly in Chapter 11 bankruptcy... although released in March 2008, "Shemp Cocktail" is out-of-print; inventory levels are probably low. If you're interested in picking up a new copy, the window of opportunity is closing.

Offline JazzBill

Thanks.

I thought it was OK. I enjoyed the early solo Shemp stuff. The clip of "Convention Girl" caused me to purchase the  DVD. Even though "Africa Screams" was a Abbott & Costello movie, Shemp and Besser had had a lot of screen time. And if BeAStooge says it's out of print, I'd say get it.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Larry Fine Fan

Thanks for your replies. I'll buy it!

I've always wanted to see Shemp's solo work, and I thought this DVD had enough films to satisfy me.

Larry Fine Fan