Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

"Silent" Our Gang Box Set Coming Soon!

· 10 · 4702

Offline metaldams

No date has been announced for this set, supposedly there's some kind of delay.  I hope it will come out sooner than later, though, as Laughsith's past sets have been well done.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

I'd also like to see the Our Gang shorts from MGM as a DVD set.  Maybe if the Hal Roach box set does well... and the silent box set does well... then maybe Warner Brothers might consider releasing it.  Or, it may be wishful thinking.   [scratchchin]

Tardo317

I'd also like to see the Our Gang shorts from MGM as a DVD set.  Maybe if the Hal Roach box set does well... and the silent box set does well... then maybe Warner Brothers might consider releasing it.  Or, it may be wishful thinking.   [scratchchin]

I'd pass on the MGM's myself.  Those were awful compared to the Roach era

Offline Paul Allen

So, 5 years & 6 months later...
What happened to the supposed release of a "Silent" Our Gang box set?!

[pie]

Offline stoogerascalfan62

I'd like to get those silent OGs myself just to get a bigger taste of what the Gang films were like before the advent of sound. I only have a couple of Gang silent so far.

ThumpTheShoes

I wondered about this one, too. Although I admit I have been too lazy to Goo-gall it and find out the deal.
I spent the last couple of free weekends dubbing off these things from the TCM salute to Hal Roach a while back. Something like 11 and 1/2 hours of the stuff.. Still got almost 24 hours of other material including the Charley Chase and other stuff they ran to go, yet.

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
Agh!  You guys got me all excited when I read the thread title!  You tricked me!

Offline 7stooges

It was cancelled a few years ago due to a falling out between the two companies involved with the set. Makinac (I doubt that's spelled correctly) currently holds the prints, but other than airings on TCM back in '11, they've apparently ignored the project.

But fret not. Reelclassicdvd.com has a fantastic five volume set of silent Our Gangs, all beautifully restored. I strongly recommend it.

Offline metaldams

TCM tonight showed SHOOTIN' INJUNS, a highly imaginative and fun print that would've been on this set.  I was visiting my parents tonight like I usually do on Thursdays and even my Mom, who doesn't like silent comedy, enjoyed this one.  If this short is any indication of the quality of this set, it's really a shame it never got released.
- Doug Sarnecky