Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges On VHS (Columbia Shorts And Features)

Offline archiezappa

That was it. 60 episodes not on television. I just couldn't remember. I'm not getting any younger.

Offline Mark The Shark

The "missing 60" refers to 60 Stooge shorts dropped from the syndicated TV package in the late 1990s. They came up with a formatted half-hour show, including bumpers with trivia, and the "magic TV syndication number" of 130 half-hour "episodes."

Later, AMC picked up the same 130 shorts but they were able to get clean copies of the complete shorts without all the other silliness. One time they slipped and ran a short that wasn't in the package (illegally, I guess). Me-TV in Chicago later was able to get all 190. I don't know the status of the shorts on TV nowadays, whether all 190 are generally shown or not, but since they are all on DVD, it doesn't really matter.

Offline Tony Bensley

The "missing 60" refers to 60 Stooge shorts dropped from the syndicated TV package in the late 1990s. They came up with a formatted half-hour show, including bumpers with trivia, and the "magic TV syndication number" of 130 half-hour "episodes."

Later, AMC picked up the same 130 shorts but they were able to get clean copies of the complete shorts without all the other silliness. One time they slipped and ran a short that wasn't in the package (illegally, I guess). Me-TV in Chicago later was able to get all 190. I don't know the status of the shorts on TV nowadays, whether all 190 are generally shown or not, but since they are all on DVD, it doesn't really matter.
Yes, how fortunate we are to have all 190 Three Stooges Columbia shorts on DVD, plus most of their main features on DVD, and several on Blu-ray (Although their GOLD RAIDERS (1951) comedy western feature doesn't seem to play on many of the Warner issued Comedy Team DVDs, including mine! [cry]), and they don't take up much more space than a handful of VHS Tapes!

Yes, We Have Plenty Of Bonanzas! ;)
CHEERS! [3stooges]

Offline Umbrella Sam

Yes, how fortunate we are to have all 190 Three Stooges Columbia shorts on DVD, plus most of their main features on DVD, and several on Blu-ray (Although their GOLD RAIDERS (1951) comedy western feature doesn't seem to play on many of the Warner issued Comedy Team DVDs, including mine! [cry]), and they don't take up much more space than a handful of VHS Tapes!

Yes, We Have Plenty Of Bonanzas! ;)
CHEERS! [3stooges]

My copy of GOLD RAIDERS actually did work the first time I watched it, but wouldn't work after that, even though I was using the same DVD player. Eventually, I ended up buying it on iTunes, so I can access it whenever I want now.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Tony Bensley

My copy of GOLD RAIDERS actually did work the first time I watched it, but wouldn't work after that, even though I was using the same DVD player. Eventually, I ended up buying it on iTunes, so I can access it whenever I want now.
I recently read a post on a different forum about somebody having bought that DVD new and GOLD RAIDERS wouldn't play at all on that one, either!  That MEET THE BARON/GOLD RAIDERS Warner DVD sure is a problematic one, isn't it?  It rather sucks to have to double dip on a title due to a common defect, which this appears to be.

It may not do any good, but I'm seriously considering contacting Warner about this matter, especially as I have no other recourse for getting a replacement DVD, since the Amazon Marketplace vendor I purchased this DVD from apparently no longer exists.  The way I see this, it couldn't hurt!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline archiezappa

Okay, so I'm not the only one that has this problem. I watched it a few times. The Gold Raiders movie will no longer play on my DVD. I feel like I wasted money.

Offline Tony Bensley

Okay, so I'm not the only one that has this problem. I watched it a few times. The Gold Raiders movie will no longer play on my DVD. I feel like I wasted money.
Perhaps a separate topic should be started just for the subject of the apparently widespread defectiveness of the MEET THE BARON/GOLD RAIDERS Warner Comedy Teams DVD?

Offline archiezappa

Perhaps a separate topic should be started just for the subject of the apparently widespread defectiveness of the MEET THE BARON/GOLD RAIDERS Warner Comedy Teams DVD?

Here is the link for the new topic I just created concerning Gold Raiders/Meet The Baron DVD defects.

http://moronika.com/forums/index.php?topic=5913.new#new

Offline TwoOunceBrain

• Grapehead
  • Stooges fan since 1993.
I don't think GOLD RAIDERS ever got a VHS release, since Columbia didn't produce it. Warner Home Video released the DVD version, though I don't think they ever did a VHS release.

It never got an official VHS release, unless you count bootleg copies.