Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Marx Brothers, 6/7/11

Offline falsealarms

Universal is taking the five titles from their previous box set (COCONUTS, ANIMAL CRACKERS, MONKEY BUSINESS, HORSE FEATHERS, DUCK SOUP) and making them available individually. List is $19.99 each. Unless these have been cleaned up from their earlier releases, the old SILVER SCREEN COLLECTION box set remains the far better value. It can be had for about $40 -- or less.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:17:46 AM by falsealarms »

Offline FineBari3

Universal is taking the five titles from their previous box set (COCONUTS, ANIMAL CRACKERS, MONKEY BUSINESS, HORSE FEATHERS, DUCK SOUP) and making them available individually. List is $19.99 each. Unless these have been cleaned up from their earlier releases, the old SILVER SCREEN COLLECTION box set remains the far better value. It can be had for about $40 -- or less.

I remember picking the Silver Screen Collection about 4 years ago really cheap. I didn't know that these films were in dire need of restoration, and the fancy packaging and booklet were nice. I was SO disappointed with the shape these films are in. Certain reels of THE COCOANUTS look blown-up from 16mm.

Does anyone who follows restoration know why these films have not been restored yet? (legal stuff?)
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

xraffle

I remember picking the Silver Screen Collection about 4 years ago really cheap. I didn't know that these films were in dire need of restoration, and the fancy packaging and booklet were nice. I was SO disappointed with the shape these films are in. Certain reels of THE COCOANUTS look blown-up from 16mm.

Does anyone who follows restoration know why these films have not been restored yet? (legal stuff?)

Is it possible to restore these films? The Cocoanuts and Horse Feathers in particular look pretty beat up. I'm not sure if the damage on those prints are fixable.

xraffle

Wow, these individual releases are expensive. I bought the Silver Screen Collection for $24.99 at Amazon quite some time ago.

xraffle

Someone on Blu-ray.com announced that these 5 movies are coming out on Blu-ray.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6298

This should be interesting. I wonder if that means Universal is doing some kind of restoration job on these. :-\

Offline falsealarms

I didn't see that, thanks for the head up. If they are out on Blu, I'd strongly consider double dipping depending on how much work has been been put into it and if there are any good extras.

xraffle

Take a look at this discussion going on at Blu-ray.com's forum.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-north-america/171657-5-marx-brothers-movies-june-7th-2.html#post4680824

Apparently, someone must've read the news about the individual DVD releases coming out on June 7th and must've thought it was a Blu-ray release. We'll have to wait and see. But what I can say is that this alleged Blu-ray release has not been officially announced by Universal, so don't get excited until an official press release is out.

xraffle

I think it's safe to say that these will NOT come out on Blu-ray. By now, there would be an official announcement by Universal and they would be up for pre-order. But as of now, there's nothing. So, this is just a false rumor.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Blu-Ray is still in its infancy and really just now starting to get penetration with the PS3 and stand alone Blu-Ray players creeping down in price. Also keep in mind that at this point TVs that can really take advantage of Blu-Ray have only recently become affordable and I don't think most people are willing to chuck their DVD collections to switch them over to Blu-Ray. The average DVD movie is $20 and the average Blu-Ray movie is $30 and we haven't even gotten into TV collections which are the DVD market's bread and butter. The TV shows on Blu-Ray are few and far between and are mostly current shows (like Glee, which can run $70 a season).

I don't know if we'll ever see Blu-Ray dominate the market: instead I think digital downloading will be the next big thing. A lot of the old stuff gets the shaft on Blu-Ray because it doesn't sell as well (B&W is generally considered poison to those who are looking to make a buck off this stuff). With that said I do own a Blu-Ray of Casablanca so you never know.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

The only B&W Blu-ray I own is "Dr. Strangelove" and I'm amazed at how great it looks.

Ironically, Image Entertainment is rapidly releasing "The Twilight Zone" seasons on Blu-ray. The cheapest I've seen them is $50 on Amazon, but I consider that a bargain since they were around $70+ when they first came out on DVD. If you look around, you can find some Blu-rays that are really cheap. If you can do a little research, you can look into some imported titles that are region-free. But like I said, you'll need to research because you need to find out if they're region-locked or not. If they're not, then you can find some great bargains. I bought the "Band of Brothers" miniseries on Blu-ray for only $26 total (after currency conversion) from Amazon UK.

Offline falsealarms

I've noticed Blu-Ray has emerged in the past year or so. Blu-Ray players have come down in price, as have Blu-Ray movies, and I've noticed some stores devote more space to them (and less to DVDs). I finally got a Blu-Ray player about a year ago. One recent report referenced on blu-ray.com said "DVD sales were down 44% year to year from 2009 to 2010, while Blu-ray sales rose 53% in the same period."

But I wouldn't worry too much. DVD's should have plenty of life left in them since BR players let you play DVDs.

There's no denying Blu-Ray is superior to DVD, even for the old stuff. But Shemps #1 is right -- the reception for the classics on Blu hasn't been good. George Feltenstein of Warner Home Video told the NY Post earlier this year that "consumer acceptance of classics on Blu-ray is painfully limited." People might expect pristine video and audio for recent movies, but probably not so much for older ones.

That being said, The Wizard of Oz is breathtaking on Blu-Ray. It's easily the best I've ever seen that movie. Citizen Kane is getting a Blu-Ray release later this year and that restoration is said to be equally stunning.

I'm not a fan of digital downloading. I greatly prefer physical media. But with the spread of broadband, internet connected TV's/devices, online video sources, etc... it's a legitimate threat.

Offline falsealarms

Looks like these new Marx releases are nothing to worry about... no extras, apparently the same transfer.... in other words, move along.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/48300/cocoanuts/

Offline Faeriegirl

• Shemp's Darling Dilly
  • Grapehead
  • Dreaming of Shemp
    • I Surf for the Freedom!!
Personally I am a fan of the Marx Brothers, the Stooges, and Bud and Lou. I own the silver screen collection, and personally I think the movies are great regradless of their 'restored' appearance. I have yet to find the rest of the films with the three (Groucho, Harpo and Chico) in them anywhere.

Personally I find, like it was said above, that the Silver Screen collection is the preffered way to go, that way you get All the brothers, All at once.

And like Falsealarms said, I too prefer a DVD over downloading a film, because when your computer or hardrive you downloaded the movie to, goes out the window or is damaged or just dies, well... you gotta download again. And it can get kinda useless over time.

Besides, I love shopping!
Shemp: Moe! Larry! Wait for me!! *hits himself with shovel*
~ Who Done It?

xraffle

I agree. The Silver Screen Collection is the way to go. Amazon had this on sale for $24.99. These movies are sold individually for $17.99 each. For less than $10, you'll get 4 additional movies.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I have yet to find the rest of the films with the three (Groucho, Harpo and Chico) in them anywhere.

All are available on DVD. Warner Home Video has released the films WB owns in a few different formats...

The Marx Brothers Collection (2004)
A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (1935)
A DAY AT THE RACES (1937)
ROOM SERVICE (1938)
AT THE CIRCUS (1939)
GO WEST (1940)
THE BIG STORE (1941)
A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA (1946)

TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Marx Brothers (2010)
A DAY AT THE RACES (1937)
ROOM SERVICE (1938)
AT THE CIRCUS (1939)
A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA (1946)

TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Comedy (2009)
A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (1935)

THE STORY OF MANKIND (1957)

Republic/Lionsgate's DVD of LOVE HAPPY (1949) can be found easily too; out-of-print, but copies available.