Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges shorts coming to Blu-ray this summer

Larrys#1 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mark The Shark

I saw this YouTube video and this guy starts talking about this set on 23:00.

According to him, there's some rights issue that is preventing Sony from releasing a bunch of the shorts. Doesn't make sense to me as Sony should have the rights to all of them and they did release them all on DVD, so what gives?

He mentions "different studios" so it must be a misunderstanding on his part. He must be thinking of a few feature films done at other studios, not shorts -- unless he means the M-G-M Ted Healy shorts. (He also uses the phrase "a few.") I wonder if he even realizes there are 190 shorts?

Offline Tony Bensley

I saw this YouTube video and this guy starts talking about this set on 23:00.

According to him, there's some rights issue that is preventing Sony from releasing a bunch of the shorts. Doesn't make sense to me as Sony should have the rights to all of them and they did release them all on DVD, so what gives?
OK, so apart from Sony's supposed rights issues preventing them from releasing some of the shorts, which doesn't make sense on its face, the reviewer emphasizes repeatedly that once this limited Blu-ray edition is gone, IT'S GONE!! Like "Fraggle Rock on Blu-ray" gone!!! If true, that's some bizarre decision making on Sony's part!! Why limit The Stooges HD availability? It makes no sense!!!

On the upside, the reviewer also clearly stated 120 shorts, as opposed to the previously stated 100 shorts on Sony's initial press release, so if correct, that's something positive, at least!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Mark The Shark

OK, so apart from Sony's supposed rights issues preventing them from releasing some of the shorts, which doesn't make sense on its face, the reviewer emphasizes repeatedly that once this limited Blu-ray edition is gone, IT'S GONE!! Like "Fraggle Rock on Blu-ray" gone!!! If true, that's some bizarre decision making on Sony's part!! Why limit The Stooges HD availability? It makes no sense!!!

On the upside, the reviewer also clearly stated 120 shorts, as opposed to the previously stated 100 shorts on Sony's initial press release, so if correct, that's something positive, at least!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Sounds like the "20" are the solo Shemp, Besser and De Rita shorts.

Offline Tony Bensley

Sounds like the "20" are the solo Shemp, Besser and De Rita shorts.
That's what I heard in a reply on another forum where I posted the YouTube link.

Best to take it all with a grain of salt until the set is released.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Online Larrys#1

Just one caveat I forgot to mention.... I don't know the credibility of that youtube dude. It's just a video I found. So feel free to take what he says with a grain of salt.

That said, as much as I hate to admit, but given Sony's history, I have a strong feeling this may be our ONLY opportunity to own the stooges shorts in HD. I just don't foresee Sony re-releasing the full 190 shorts down the road. I feel we are lucky to be getting this set, especially since physical media is already in a niche market right now. So I'm probably going to be purchasing this set. And the price dropped to $175.99 on Amazon now and that encourages me even more to cave in.