Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooges site in Spanish

Offline Shemoeley Fine

I was attempting to find info on Stooges shorts distribution in Latin America and came across the equivalent site to this forum en español. The webmaster is obviously an entusiastic and knowledgeable fan. I saw some rare photos including the home page shot. I enjoyed the translations of the Stooges shorts and films into Spanish. There is extensive bio material on the early days and a whole section dedicated to the parents of the Howard brothers. The site originates in Argentina.  Here's the link.     http://move.to/treschiflados

S F
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Very good Stooges site for the latin-ally impaired, Shemoeley ...
I copied the photo of Curly-Joe, Moe and Emil Sitka posing for their "never-to-be" run as the next Three Stooges. I'll visit the site often. Thanks for the link.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Just for the heck of it, I used Babelfish to translate the site into English (since I've forgotten nearly all the Spanish that I learned some forty years ago), and I got some amusing results.   For example, look at what it did with Moe's biography:
Harry "Moe" Howard, The Great One:   

The leader of the group, Moe Howard, was born the 19 of June of 188 7 in Bensonhurst, N. and, in a small Jewish community, under the name of Moses Horwitz (later he would change his name by the one of Harry). Moe, son of Jennie and Solomon Horwitz, were the quarter of five brothers,     ( only two would not enter the world of the spectacle ). Of boy, Moe already showed a great ability to quickly memorizar any thing, that would be very useful for its future race. Its first contact with the theater was in its scholastic stage, when it directed and it carried out a small work. As of that moment their qualifications lowered, to such point, that it left the studies, without completing them in all their life. By this time their parents did not approve too much the decision of their son. Moe tried to please studying them things like electricity, that soon left. With its directed actoral race, the 7 of June of 1925 house with Helen Schomberger, premium of Harry Houdini. According to she counts herself, in spite of the image that she gave acting, Moe was a type introvert, serious and very nervous. She cost to him to express his feelings by which she bought great gifts to his family to demonstrate his affection. Between its favourite hobbies they were traveling, the gardening, the ceramics and cooking. He was father of two children; first Joan, and ochos years later Paul. She was married with Helen by almost 50 years, that died six months after he. Exhausted by its incalsables desire to follow with the group, Moe died the 4 of May of 1975.

The Stooges are obviously popular in Spanish-speaking countries.  Do a Google search for Los Tres Chilados; I got 52,900 results.

Pilsner Panther

"Exhausted by its incalsables desire to follow with the group, Moe died the 4 of May of 1975."

After a career like that, I can't blame him.

But I can also imagine Moe saying to this programmer/translator, "Why, you! I'll moider ya!!"[/i]

[stooges]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 08:23:24 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Dun: very interesting post, I'm fascinated by the translation provided by Babelfish, obviously it cannot translate implied meanings,  regionalisms or idiosincrasies(sic) of español. Here's some examples, it didn't translate NY even though it's written in the Spanish version. The Spanish version states clearly that Moe was the 4th of 5 brothers, yet in English it came out quarter or "a fourth" because in Spanish "el cuarto" can be used in certain ocasions as the 1/4th. In Spanish the world of "espectáculos" is the world of entertainment, not its literal definition of spectacle as translated. "De chico" in Spanish was badly translated to of boy instead of its real meaning as a boy. In Spanish carrera depending on its usage can mean either race(the contest) or career which is why in English it came out his future race.

I am bewildered why his first contact(su primer) in Spanish was translated into its first contact, it also made the same error, its scholastic in lieu of his scholastic repeated several times with it directed,  it carried, instead of he. Moe's qualifications were lowered in Spanish is correctly stated that his grades started to decline. Prima or female cousin in Spanish became premium in English because prima in Spanish is also a premium as in payment. And to close this out, the final statement, in español it says, Moe, exhausted by his tireless efforts desires to continue the group to continue the Stooges, died May 4th 1975. In Spanish or English, "exhausted by his tireless efforts" seems to be a bit oxymoronic.

Overall, the translation is not that bad, close but no cigar...Cuban of course.

S F

Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Pilsner Panther

Babelfish is loads o' fun! Here's George W. Bush's recent "Religious Freedom Day" speech, English to French to Portuguese to German and finally back to English again (paragraph breaks are mine):

"The pious day of the liberty, of 2006 proclamatie for the president of the States of America is the right to the pious liberty a basis of America. For the pious day of the liberty, our nation the map of the Virginia of party law 1786 for the pious liberty and protecção the pious liberty in first change aquando the condition of the United States.

"Our parents, who cause, had the interest of the liberty of the religion to the constant democracy and our condition protect the rights individuals vénération known, since they select. We rejetons the pious distinction under each form and continue our efforts to move it the incommodity and against all possible injuries at the pious liberty in order to move itself. Today we work also, in order to advance the liberty of the religion on the foreigner.

"The Ministry of the Office of the Condition of International Pious Liberty plays an important role this of efforts that, which they defend actively for the pious liberty and against the pious continuation in redor the world function. The last years, we saw the important progress, that in the Vietnam, in the O Laos, in India, in the Geórgia and the Arab Émirats make you smooth, and with the version of many individuals in the countries, to the entire world to to contain it had been taken prisoner by its faith. Thus helping protects the pious liberty of the people in other countries, promotes we a spreading of the liberty and the human nature that became.

"NOW FOR THIS REASON, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, the president of the states of America, in the virtue for the condition and in the laws of the United States, 16 Januari... 2006, as a pious day of the finished liberty employ authorization. To arrange I necessarily all Americans reflectir for the large bénédiction the pious liberty to think of for to inhabit the attempt to hold to this liberty for the future production and this daily with the sufficient cases and the activities in its schools of of vénération, vizinham, and.

"WHOSE, hereunto my hand me AS TEST this three tenth day of January, in the year of our Lord two thousand six and the independence of the United States of two America one hundred and trentième put.

GEORGE W. BUSH

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Stoop

The Stooges are obviously popular in Spanish-speaking countries.  Do a Google search for Los Tres Chilados; I got 52,900 results.

Indeed. Actually some of the first shorts I ever remember seeing were of “Los Tres Chiflados”. Unfortunately I was very young (only about 5-6 years old) so I don’t remember that much. But since  now I am extremely curious  I shall ask my dad about them the next time I see him and find out if he has any tapes.
It takes an estimated 2,893 licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Today Sunday I was listening to a favorite Cuban salsa record of mine I had not heard in maybe, 10-12 years, it dates back to the late 70's. It is a NY based group made up of Cubans and Puerto Ricans, Los Kimbos. Towards the end of their rendition of an old Cuban standard from the 1920's Lágrimas Negras,(Black Tears), they break into an improvised section quoting other songs and breaking into a great call & response section with a few short solo spurts on bongó & timbales, anyhow the lead singer, a Puerto Rican, all of sudden throws down a fabulous  nyuk, nyuk, nyuk followed by an imitation of Popeye's voice telling the band, okay, we're done, let's get the hell out of here(this song). Obviously the singer was a fan of The Stooges and Popeye growing up in Puerto Rico.

S F
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Pilsner Panther

Pilsner's Picks remains on hiatus (again) for technical reasons, but I can still give you some Popeye. Original Popeye, too, from 1933!

Offline Shemoeley Fine

That Popeye tune was way too funnnnniiiiiieeeeeeee. it sounds like Popeye stuffed some spinach or other green leafy material in his pipe and instead of eating it, smoked it. I love it!  The only dissapointing thing about it was the conclusion, it was all set up for a final coda of Popeye's pipe blowing, pooop, pooop and yet, nada, zilch, nothing.  I have a salsa Popeye song from the late 70's as sung by the same singer who nyuked, nyuked, nyuked and then imitated Popeye in the song I describe in this same thread, a few posts prior.

Thanx for sharing.

S F
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline Shemoeley Fine

There is only 1 program that I watch on a regular basis on any of the many Spanish language networks, 100 Mexicanos Dijeron(100 Mexicans Said) which is Family Feud in Spanish on the Telefutura network . I enjoy the show despite at times not understanding some of the responses as the contestants or poll results use Mexican regionalisms. Anyhow,  on today Thursday's show one of the questions was,  "Name a famous group made up of 3 members",   Yes, you guessed it, our beloved trio made the survey,  they were number 4 on the list of 6 that survey says!  Sadly neither the family in control nor the family that attempted to steal control guessed them. I was hoping that Los Tres Chiflados aka The Three Stooges would be on the survey results and they were.. Number 5 were the Three Musketeers, Number 1 was the legendary Mexican guitar trio, Los Panchos, the other 3 were regional modern Mexican music groups.

Some of you may know that Eydie Gorme, a Spanish-Sephardic descent singer from the Bronx recorded 2 albums with Los Panchos. Eydie was/is married to Steve Lawrence.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 09:58:10 PM by Shemoeley Fine »
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline Guada

Sure, I live in Argentina and the Stooges were and are widely popular.