Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Missing 60

Offline locoboymakesgood

I think I'm a pretty well-rounded Stooge Nut. I know a lot about them and their spanning career, but everytime I hear mentioned 'The Missing 60' I get confused. At some point or another I've seen all 190 shorts, but refresh my memory.. why are these shorts 'missing' and why doesn't Columbia include them in anything? I'm sure they're all Shemp and Joe's that consist of these 60, but if someone could elaborate I'd appreciate it.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
When Columbia release the Stooges to AMC and others, for some bizarre reason they only included 130 of the episodes in the packages.  Hence we tend to refer to the others are the "Missing 60" episodes, since they haven't been aired in most markets.  (I guess there are some stations, like the one in Chicago, that have managed to obtain the rights to all 190 episodes.)

Offline 3Stooges

Hey LocoBoy,

Here's a list of the Missing 60...

Flat Foot Stooges (1938)
Three Little Sew and Sews (1939)
We Want Our Mummy (1939)
Even as I.O.U. (1942)
They Stooge to Conga (1943)
Three Little Twirps (1943)
The Yoke's on Me (1944)
Booby Dupes (1945)
Three Pests in a Mess (1945)
G. I. Wanna Home (1946)
Uncivil War Birds (1946)
Mummy's Dummies (1948)
Pardon My Clutch (1948)
Fuelin' Around (1949)
Vagabond Loafers (1949)
Dopey Dicks (1950)
Hugs and Mugs (1950)
Love at First Bite (1950)
Self-Made Maids (1950)
Slaphappy Sleuths (1950)
Three Hams on Rye (1950)
Hula-La-La (1951)
A Missed Fortune (1951)
Pest Man Wins (1951)
Scrambled Brains (1951)
Three Arabian Nuts (1951)
Cuckoo on a Choo Choo (1952)
He Cooked His Goose (1952)
Booty and the Beast (1953)
Bubble Trouble (1953)
Loose Loot (1953)
Pardon My Backfire (1953)
Knutzy Knights (1954)
Musty Musketeers (1954)
Pals and Gals (1954)
Scotched in Scotland (1954)
Shot in the Frontier (1954)
Bedlam in Paradise (1955)
Fling in the Ring (1955)
Gypped in the Penthouse (1955)
Hot Ice (1955)
Of Cash and Hash (1955)
Stone Age Romeos (1955)
Wham-Bam-Slam! (1955)
Creeps (1956)
Flagpole Jitters (1956)
For Crimin' Out Loud (1956)
Husbands Beware (1956)
Rumpus in the Harem (1956)
Scheming Schemers (1956)
Guns a Poppin! (1957)
Horsing Around (1957)
A Merry Mix-Up (1957)
Rusty Romeos (1957)
Space Ship Sappy (1957)
Flying Saucer Daffy (1958)
Pies and Guys (1958)
Quiz Whizz (1958)
Sweet and Hot (1958)
Triple Crossed (1959)

Offline Shemoeley Fine

According to my filmography of viewed Stooges 2-Reelers every one of the "missing 60" has been aired by Los Angeles'
KCOP channel 13 in 1975 and 1976 because I have notes and ratings with the dates I saw them, moreover many of the Curly shorts on the list I have seen in 2 different Stooges festival at theatres in So Cal in either March or June of 1980.

Having stated that, my question is then the following, did Columbia withdraw permission to air these shorts and then re-released only the 130 now authorized or did the stations who already were airing them get "grandfathered in" which is why some stations still show them and any stations wanting to acquire Stooges films after this poor decision was made only got the 130?  Any clue as to when this took place?  I didn't see a Stooge short or have anything to do with them from 1981 or '82 until earlier this year when my love for Stooges was reborn so I was unaware of these "missing 60".

S F
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline goofontheroof

The following are on a 4DVD set released in Australia:

Flat Foot Stooges (1938)
Three Little Sew and Sews (1939)
Even as I.O.U. (1942)
Three Pests in a Mess (1945)
G. I. Wanna Home (1946)
A Missed Fortune (1951)
Booty and the Beast (1953)
Loose Loot (1953)
Pardon My Backfire (1953)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
everytime I hear mentioned 'The Missing 60' I get confused. At some point or another I've seen all 190 shorts, but refresh my memory.. why are these shorts 'missing' and why doesn't Columbia include them in anything?

In 1998, Columbia and C3 co-produced a new syndication package with 130 shorts for local television.  Local stations who lease that package are competitively protected from national cable showing all 190... so AMC from 2000 - 2004, and currently Spike, are restricted to the same group of 130 films.

Some local markets have acquired all 190 (WCIU Chicago, WSBK Boston, WPSG Philadelphia), but some still have the 130-short package (most recently WPIX New York).  "The missing 60" will continue for as long as Sony Television markets the smaller package.

Offline locoboymakesgood

WNLO 23 in Buffalo ran that absolutely horrid syndicated package when it started back in 2003, but after a few months they took it off the air. I don't blame them. I watched it every night and was disgusted, as it was just two episodes with the same amount of commercial breaks Spike airs them with. At the  time AMC still haf them on at 7 PM every weeknight so not seeing the ones at 11 on WNLO didn't bother me all that much.

I still miss it when they were syndicated in the 80s here. The local network showed three shorts for an hour, all uncut every Sunday. I still have a few tapes of them yet, with a lot of the rarer ones (We Want Our Mummy, Three Little Sew and Sews, Hula-La-La, etc.). Sucks it isn't like that anymore.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline jc

I notice on the Stoogeworld Censored Stooges page that Family Channel (now ABC Family, before that Fox Family) showed the missing 60 but they sure censored them to death.  I vaguely remembered watching them on the Family Channel back then but I had no idea until reading elsewhere on the Internet that they censored them.

There's only one of the missing 60 shorts I remember watching on the Family Channel back then and that is Pest Man Wins (1951)

What about TBS?   When they used to show them a long time ago did they show the missing 60?  I've never watched them on TBS back then but just curious.

Offline FineBari3

According to my filmography of viewed Stooges 2-Reelers every one of the "missing 60" has been aired by Los Angeles'
KCOP channel 13 in 1975 and 1976 because I have notes and ratings with the dates I saw them, moreover many of the Curly shorts on the list I have seen in 2 different Stooges festival at theatres in So Cal in either March or June of 1980.

S F

Wow! I admire your anal retentiveness!!  [thumbsup]

(Former librarian here....all my videos are cataloged on index cards...over 1500!)
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline FineBari3

What about TBS?   When they used to show them a long time ago did they show the missing 60?  I've never watched them on TBS back then but just curious.

I am pretty sure that TBS showed the missing 60. I have tapes from marathons they ran (also the Family Channel). I just put the tape in and hit record. I have all of my missing 60 shorts from those marathons. I think they were edited to all hell though.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
What about TBS?   When they used to show them a long time ago did they show the missing 60? 

As explained above, the "missing 60" is the result of a 1998 syndication marketing decision.  When TBS had its national cable license to air the Stooges from the mid 1980s until 1994, it ran all 190 shorts.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm moving this to the FAQ. I don't know how many times this has been brought up in the past, and I'm sure Brent is sick of answering.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline jc

As explained above, the "missing 60" is the result of a 1998 syndication marketing decision. 

OK.  Yeah I rmember reading that in this thread.

Also to note in addition to remembering seeing Pest Man Wins on The Family Channel, I also remember seeing Fuelin Around (1949) there also.

Its ashame not all cable ccompanys such as mine which is Cable One (or does some other systems outside the Boston market) carry WSBK.

xraffle

The Family Channel showed all the shorts except "The Yoke's On Me" due to it's strong racial content. However, almost all shorts were edited with the exception of a few. On TBS, they used to show the missing 60 on their marathons, unedited and uncensored.

Offline JazzBill

We are pretty lucky here in Chicago. There's a local station (WCIU) that plays all of them. I was even able to get "The Yokes On Me". I hadn't seen that one since I was a kid. It's even a little politically incorrect for my taste. But I realize those were different times,and I was glad to finally get a copy of it.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline jc

The Family Channel showed all the shorts except "The Yoke's On Me" due to it's strong racial content. However, almost all shorts were edited with the exception of a few.

And what were those few?  I'm surprised a few were unedited considering they edited almost all of them

We are pretty lucky here in Chicago. There's a local station (WCIU) that plays all of them.

Yes, I remember reading that in this thread also.  You sure are lucky.

You would think that with TCM showing a Laurel & Hardy marathon, which I'm a fan of too, they would get the rights to Three Stooges and all of the Three Stooges episodes.  At least, if they did they would show them uncut and commercial free.  Oh well.  >:(  Just have to settle for DVDs of them instead

Offline JazzBill

Another edited short that comes to mind is "Movie Maniacs". When I taped it on AMC there wasn't any type of kissing scene. But when I taped it a few years later off of WCUI, it contained a scene with all Stooges showing how to kiss, using the dance girls as partners. This scene takes place right after the director (Sweinhart) says. "Kissing! What do you know about Kissing?" I really don't know why the scene was cut.
Curly.... With me, it's a sacrifice ! ...........That line kills me !

xraffle

And what were those few?  I'm surprised a few were unedited considering they edited almost all of them

Well, I know for sure that "Flat Foot Stooges" and "Three Pests In A Mess" were unedited. There might have been some others, but I'm not sure. It's been a long time since I watched the stooges on the Family Channel.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I don't know about you guys, but MY list of "The Missing 60" has shrunk in size due to modest availability at retail outlets. Here is my truncated list from the original "Missing 60" that I still keep pinned on my wall and on the look-out for for free via TV broadcast:
(please note that there are NO Curly eps in this list, I was able to aquire/purchase/or otherwise finaggle all of the Curly eps)

SHEMP (31)
Fling in the Ring
Pals and Gals
Booty and the Beast
Husbands Beware
Bubble Trouble
Of Cash and Hash
Pardon My Clutch
Wham Bam Slam
Knutzy Knights
Pardon My Backfire
Musty Musketeers
Scotched in Scotland
Bedlam in Paradise
Stone Age Romeos
Hot Ice
Creeps
For Crimin' Out Loud
Flagpole Jitters
Rumpus in the Harem
The Pest Man Wins
Cuckoo on a Choo-Choo
Shot in the Frontier
Vagabond Loafers
Scheming Schemers
Hugs and Mugs
Love at First Bite
Self-Made Maids
Three Hams on Rye
Slaphappy Sleuths
Loose Loot
Gypped in the Penthouse

Joe (10)
A Merry Mix-Up
Space Ship Sappy
Gun's A-Poppin'
Horsing Around
Rusty Romeos
Quiz Whizz
Pies and Guys
Sweet and Hot
Flying Saucer Daffy
Triple Crossed
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

xraffle

You can find several of those Shemp shorts on DVD and VHS.

Bubble Trouble can be found on the "Dizzy Doctors" DVD. Vagabond Loafers can be found on the "Merry Mavericks" DVD.

The Pest Man Wins can be found on the "Vagabond Loafers" VHS. Rumpus In The Harem, Scheming Schemers, Loose Loot can be found on the "Three Stooges Collection Volume 1" VHS by Goodtimes. Husbands Beware, Wham Bam Slam, and Musty Musketeers can be found on the "Three Stooges Collection Volume 2" VHS by Goodtimes. Cuckoo On A Choo Choo, Love At First Bite, and Shot In The Frontier can be found on the "Three Stooges Collection Volume 3" VHS by Goodtimes. Three Hams On Rye can be found on the "Three Stooges Collection Volume 5" VHS by Goodtimes. Pardon My Clutch can be found on the "Wee Wee Monsieur" VHS. These videos are out of print, but they can be found on Ebay if you keep on checking.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Another edited short that comes to mind is "Movie Maniacs". When I taped it on AMC there wasn't any type of kissing scene. But when I taped it a few years later off of WCUI, it contained a scene with all Stooges showing how to kiss, using the dance girls as partners. This scene takes place right after the director (Sweinhart) says. "Kissing! What do you know about Kissing?"

I really don't know why the scene was cut.

The filmography entry for MOVIE MANIACS explains all.

Offline JazzBill

The filmography entry for MOVIE MANIACS explains all.
I did read all that,I should have worded it different. I don't agree with why it was edited.

Curley91

This may sound like a stupid question, but does Family Channel still show the stooges?

P.S.  What was edited out of "Cookoo Cavaliers" back in the '50s?

xraffle

This may sound like a stupid question, but does Family Channel still show the stooges?

No, the stooges were shown on the Family Channel back in 1995, which was over a decade ago. I think it was only on for about 2-3 years, I believe, and then it was cancelled.

Some of those edits on the Family Channel were disgraceful. I remember watching "We Want Our Mummy," which was completely butched, as if a drunk person edited it. I also remember, that the 'Swinging The Alphabet' song was also edited out of "Violent Is The Word For Curly," but was later put back in. I guess they received a lot of complaints about it.

Offline jc

WNLO 23 in Buffalo ran that absolutely horrid syndicated package when it started back in 2003, but after a few months they took it off the air. I don't blame them. I watched it every night and was disgusted, as it was just two episodes with the same amount of commercial breaks Spike airs them with. At the  time AMC still haf them on at 7 PM every weeknight so not seeing the ones at 11 on WNLO didn't bother me all that much.

I remember watching that on WJZY 26, I think, when I was in Charlotte NC in 2000.

I still miss it when they were syndicated in the 80s here. The local network showed three shorts for an hour, all uncut every Sunday. I still have a few tapes of them yet, with a lot of the rarer ones (We Want Our Mummy, Three Little Sew and Sews, Hula-La-La, etc.).

I remember when I was watching when they were syndicated in the 80s here as well on WGNO 26 from New Orleans (independent back then, was WB, now ABC).  They showed them every Sunday morning at 10 AM for an hour.