Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

TV Commercials

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I thought I'd christen the new board with a comment I made on another site:

The last several months commercials here in North Texas feature companies selling their power-chairs / scooters to the disabled public, and one of them begins their ad by showing a happy older person powering along in a scooter and the voice-over stating, "Awhile back this woman was limited by her mobility". HOW can you be "limited" by your mobility?? It may be possible to be limited by your LACK of mobility, but not by your ability to be mobile.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Pilsner Panther

A new board, Giff? Well, the more, the merrier! I'll post the first reply: I think you've really opened up a can of worms, since there are a lot of people here who like to nitpick, split hairs, and "scrutinize with an intense scrut."* Should be fun...

*Line from the Goon Show, 1950's British radio comedy show featuring Peter Sellers.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
There is a KIA dealership here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area that ends its commercials with the claim, "If I can't beat a new car KIA deal in Texas, I'm just gonna give it to you".

Well, I've learned from a friend that there is another KIA dealership in Austin that ends its commercials the same way. It would be an interesting experiment to take them up on the dare. Besides, its the biggest empty promise ever spoken, because all someone has to do is go down in price one cent in order to "beat" the deal, and the customer is the one who must supply all the work of finding that "better" deal.

CURLYFAN

OK I will try to explain this as simply as I can. . . . .

The ISUZU commercial featuring the neighbor on empty nest who catches a bullet in his mouth and says "faster than a speeding, well you know" well when you fire a gun the whole bullet casing and all does not come out of the gun just the slug.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
OK I will try to explain this as simply as I can. . . . .

The ISUZU commercial featuring the neighbor on empty nest who catches a bullet in his mouth and says "faster than a speeding, well you know" well when you fire a gun the whole bullet casing and all does not come out of the gun just the slug.

That'd be Joe Isuzu. http://www.tvacres.com/admascots_joeisuzu.htm

But you accurately describe Hollywood's and the media's ignorance about guns and hunting. Like when it was recently reported and repeated that Cheney was hunting quail with buckshot, and not birdshot.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
A commercial for Fig Newtons is currently running which features a man sitting at a desk in a cubicle. He eats a cookie, and then a giant fig falls down crushing him and his desk. The only problem is that his "cubicle" has only two walls, the right side (with respect to the man sitting at the desk) and the wall behind him, leaving him exposed so that we can witness the crushing.

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
A commercial for Fig Newtons is currently running which features a man sitting at a desk in a cubicle. He eats a cookie, and then a giant fig falls down crushing him and his desk. The only problem is that his "cubicle" has only two walls, the right side (with respect to the man sitting at the desk) and the wall behind him, leaving him exposed so that we can witness the crushing.

I haven't seen the adv., but someone in my area has the same setup.

\____ 
 i        |
 i        |
 i        |
 i------|

The "i"'s and "-"'s are 1/2-walls. Like a secretary's set up, but a contractor is there. The "\" is a door to an office. The missing "_" is a doorway to the cube by the window.

James

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
ASCII art sucks in a True-Type font world. The doorway to the other cube is on the right.

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
Not really a nitpick, more of a gripe, beef, etc., but does every Christmastime comedy film have to incorporate Tchaikovsky's "Russian Dance" from the Nutcracker Suite into its promo commercials? It's as if this has become generic "comedy chase" music intended to convey comedic chaos - a usage old Peter Ilyitch must find horrifying. I've gotten so that any film which incorporates this tune into its advertising is an autmoatic bomb, in my estimate. It even showed up recently in a promo for that dancing penguins film, the first ad of which made me wonder if someone had been spiking my Stanozolol with bad acid. Dancing penguins voiced by Robin Williams? Holy high concept, Batman. (I instinctively avoid any movie which can be summed up in 4 words or less, e.g. Snakes on a Plane).
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
There's been a running commercial for awhile for Orvil Reddenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn. It features a commercial made by Orvil himself in 1976 in which he "outpops" the competition in a side-by-side glass corn popper test. At the end of the commercial, there is a screen of text which states "Celebrating 40 years of making gourmet popping corn" (or something like that - its the "40" I took note of).

Okay ... if Reddenbacher's has been making gourmet popping corn for 40 years, that would mean 2006 - 40 = 1966. BUT, we are left to view a commercial made ten years after he began marketing it (1976).
OR - he actually began marketing it in 1976 and the creators of the commercial just got it wrong. The snag is that both the years of the replayed commercial and our current year end in 6, and it makes me wonder about the validity of the "40" year claim.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
http://www.nationalorville.com/index.jsp

Yeah, I just glanced at the link. Orville was a corn farmer/breeder with the U of IL., if I remember the history. He got interested in the microwave aspects of corn popping. Tried to get the thing working. Then someone developed the "THIS SIDE UP" corrugated/foil thingie tray. He sold it, then the rights (CON AGRA Foods?), the rest is history.

Well. Except Orville is pushing up daisies... and his relatives are rich.

We should all be so smart, or lucky!

(The crap in my brain... I think it was in the Detroit Free Press business section... can't think of why I would look for it other than turning the page of the paper...)

Cheers!

James

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Thanks for the info, Shemps#1/Jrvass ... I was too lazy to look up any from the web, and now I know that indeed its been sold for at least 40 years, AND that it is a hybrid popping corn. I'll remember it whenever I'm in the mood for a laboratory created popcorn.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Here are several "parody" TV commercials that deserve special recognition ... enjoy!
(I especially recommend "Crazy Al's" and "Sofa King" ... and an honorable mention to "Head and Pelvis")

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
Nuts. I can't/haven't learned how to download files with IE 7 and Norton AV...

Giff, can you email them to me? You have the address.

James

PS. George Carlin is visiting me tomorrow! I just know it! You are all pwerful! We are not worthy!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
jrvass ...
Files sent to your email address. George got on the bus Friday instead of Saturday, so your premonition may come true.

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
Giff me dat fill-em! ...

Yup! He was found cut up in a bunch of slivers and stuffed into my mailbox. Took me about 10 minutes to free him of the tape with an exact-o knife!  :o

Looks tasty! I'll have to chew on him during my 2-hour daily commute!

Thanks! I'll send you 30 Red Wings to retaliate! You should see them by the end of the week!

Fair?

James

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
As stated, they'll be put to good reproductive use. A wingtip-per-sliver would've been fine, but now you have an account.
 :D 8)
(By the way ... George has a completely different meaning of "chew on him" than you do, so beware!)

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
The current Quizno's commercial for their Prime Rib on Garlic Bread sandwich -

Not neccessarily a nitpick, but an odd (but amusing) choice of editing ...

the scene of the two young women commenting on the sandwich, the oriental woman says -
"It's not lacking in meat ... and that's just what REAL women need".

... yeeaaahhh ...

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
Phanni (pronounced funny) is the Indian guy I went to lunch with on Friday. He is getting married in a month. An arranged marriage as is their custom.

He tells me of 2 exchanges with his bride-to-be:

Bride: Why do you drink so much?
Phanni: It makes you look better.

AND

B: Tell me something nice about me.
P: When I look at you, I think of something prettier!

Can you imagine saying that to your wife-to-be? She'd kill you!

That comes close to Dilip Patel telling a black woman that she couldn't sit in the front seat of the company van he was driving, she had to ride in the back seat.

"Uh-uh honey... I'll knock you into last week if you say something as stupid as that again to me!"

He was eventually fired a few months later. I find foreigners use of the English language, amusing, at times. Heck, even I can bend & twist a phrase to humorously make a point.

James

Dog Hambone

I kinda like the song, "Our House". I can't remember who its by. But the most recent Maxwell House teevee commercial using that song is the absolute pits. The new "lyrics" don't even come close to fitting the melody lines, & the singing is gawd awful. In fact, it's so bad that I didn't even realize at first that they were not singing another bad commercial jingle but actually butchering a fairly decent radio song. I therefore hereby pledge to never buy that brand of coffee again. 

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Our House - Madness
[youtube=425,350]EIOHdC0x-Uo[/youtube]

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
That is fucking lame. I couldn't even watch 1/2 of it!  :police:

Did you cash my check? I think I want my money back for that atrocity! I used to like you, Giff!

:laugh:

James

Offline JazzBill

That is fucking lame. I couldn't even watch 1/2 of it!  :police:

Did you cash my check? I think I want my money back for that atrocity! I used to like you, Giff!

:laugh:

James
[youtube=425,350]NhXlDNsMcIM[/youtube]
Your right James! You'll never see me put anything lame like that over here.  ::)
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".