Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Any Mac users here? Just switched.

Offline falsealarms

A few years ago, I never would have done this. I remember saying Macs "sucked," but I wasn't too sharp in those days. Ignorant too, because I had never used one to begin with. I'm just tired of Windows, especially the gross amounts of time I spend guarding about spyware, adware, viruses etc. And the time I take defragmenting the disks and cleaning the registry adds up quickly. Mac users don't have to deal with any type of malware, and the thing (I've been told) defragments automatically when it needs to. And the same old basic taskbar and start menu get a little old to look at in Windows.

Beyond that, Microsoft is past its prime. XP has been around since October 2001 - over four years ago. That's ancient in computer terms. To go four years without a major new OS release is inexcusable. There used to be a time when Microsoft was the innovator - that time is gone. Their next Windows release, dubbed Vista, is a year away. You look at the betas and the screenshots, and you're looking at a ripoff of Mac OSX Tiger. The icons, the integrated hard drive search, etc. Apple's OSX is constantly evolving, with major new releases each year.

I have little experience with Macs, beyond using an mid 80s Apple machine in the early 90s, and either OS 7 or 8 about five years ago for about an hour. Any advice? This is a Windows user dating back to 3.1, but mostly ME/XP, as I was only like 12/13 when I dabbled in 3.1 on a hand-me-down Packard Bell.

Mac Mini
1.25 ghz G4 (might be 1.33 if I get the silently upgraded one)
1 GB RAM
40 GB HD (I doubt I need more, my 30 GB HD on my Dell laptop os 90% free.. could always get an external if need be)
Apple Keyboard
Tiger
iLife 05