Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 333635

Two vital questions lirking in my mind:
1. Who came up with the idea to use sound effects? That guy should have won an academy award.
2. Where can I get an audio clip of "ramitz snorglotz kebertz itrisay"?

Offline dbaxter1991

Speaking of sound effects, how were all these sound effects provided?

Just wonderin'.  ???

Offline dbaxter1991

In Healthy Wealthy and Dumb (1938), how did they that thing when Curly had champagne come out his ears?

xraffle

In Healthy Wealthy and Dumb (1938), how did they that thing when Curly had champagne come out his ears?

Watch closely. The champagne actually comes out from behind his ears.

When Larry made a drink and shook it up in a mixer then pointed it at Moe and it spewed into his face Larry had a tube going down his arm out his shirt sleeve and attached to the shaker.
I saw "They stooge to Conga" and Curly had a light bulb in his ear that lit up, then Larry short-circuited him by sticking a scredriver in his other ear and the bulb exploded. Wonder how they got it to light up? It was really in his ear.
Were all those props used to hit Larry/Curly like wrenches, saws, hammers real? What were they made of? Balsa wood? There was no plastic in those days. How many guys at Columbia were in charge of making those props?
Those guys were freakin great. Curly was a total natural behind the camera.
I read that Joe DeRita never thought the Stooges were funny. He thought their physical stuff was good but nothing more.

Offline dbaxter1991

In Disorder in the Court (1936), what was the music that they were playing in the courtroom because I also heard it on REEFER MADNESS (1936). Is it a familiar song?

Offline dbaxter1991

Here’s a trivia quiz fro y’all! All these questions are all from that TubeTime thingy on COMCAST onDEMAND. You might know all the answers, but this is just for fun! Some answers are silly.  :D Ready????;D

1. While the Three Stooges were shooting Three Dumb Clucks (1937), Curly had to be taken to the hospital. Why was that?
a. broken leg
b. heart attack
c. cracked skull

2. The ending for Back to the Woods (1937) was re-used from what Stooge short?
a. A Pain in the Pullman
b. Whoops, I’m an Indian!
c. Rockin’ Thru the Rcokies

3. How many Three Stooges were there?
a. 2
b. 6
c. 4

4. Moe and Larry starred in all 190 Columbia Stooge short films. Which 3rd stooge appeared in the most shorts?
a. Curly
b. Shemp
c. Curly Joe

5. In any Stooge film, why was Larry so good at taking a punch?
a. He was paid by the punch
b. He trained as a lightweight boxer
c. He suffered by cranial astrophibus.

6. Woman Haters (1934), the first Stooge short film, was actually part of a series of short films called what?
a. Musical Novelties
b. Rhyming Rhythms
c. Silly Symohonies

7. Hoi Polloi (1935) and Half-Shot Shooters (1936) were banned from what country’s censorship board?
a. Italy
b. Germany
c. Holland

8. Some of Curly's court room testimony in Disorder in the Court (1936) was taken from what Buster Keaton movie?
a. Sidewalks of New York (1931)
b. What No Beer? (1933)
c. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)

9. While the Stooges worked in vaudeville, who did they work for?
a. Ted Healy
b. Lionel Barrymore
c. Groucho Marx

10. Rumor has it that Curly sometimes had difficulty remembering his lines. So, when his mind went blank, would he…
a. refresh himself with a beverage
b. play dead
c. drop to the ground and spin in circles

11. How many times were the Stooges caught in their underpants?
a. 183
b. 50
c. 100

12. How did Moe come up with the eye poke?

13. Before Moe was a Stooge, what job did he take?
a. real estate
b. stockbroker
c. chef

14. One Stooge abuse method was banned from a New York TV station. What was it?
a. slap
b. eye poke
c. nose pull

15. Stooge supporting player Bud Jamison was in a total of how many Stooge shorts?
a. 19
b. 36
c. 50

16. Name the Stooge short that had the first pie fight.

17. When did Moe, Larry, and Shemp change their act to “The Three Stooges”?
a. 1931
b. 1929
c. 1933

18. What theme song was used in Stooge shorts from 1934 to 1939?
a. Three Blind Mice
b. Listen to the Mockingbird
c. Dixie

19. The Three Stooges were the official mascot of a school. Name the school.

20. In 1983, a band called Jump in the Saddle made up a song about a Stooge. What’s the name of the song?
a. Larry Limbo
b. Shemp Shimmy
c. Curly Shuffle

21. One of the supporting players in Rockin’ Thru the Rockies (1940) was Linda Winters. She turned out to be in one of the greatest movies, which is…
a. Citizen Kane
b. Psycho
c. Lawrence of Arabia

22. What was Larry and Moe’s favorite Stooge short?
a. Booty and the Beast
b. Uncivil Warriors
c. You Nazty Spy!

23. What was Curly’s favorite Stooge short?
a. Men in Black
b. A-Plumbing We Will Go
c. Micro-Phonies

24. What was the name of the Stooges’ act with Ted Healy?
a. Ted Healy and his Eastern Blockheads
b. Ted Healy and his Southern Gentlemen   
c. Ted Healy and his Western Omelettes

25. The Three Stooges were the first comedy team to do what?
a. make 3-D movies
b. use firearms
c. use midgets as comic devices

Offline FineBari3

OK...even though I am ON Team Stooge, I have a question for yinz guys!

What is the short where Curly is doing something secretive or sneaky, and he sings "La-LEE-la-la."?????  Emphasis on the 2nd syllable there.

Jeez, we have been singing that to each other all weekend, and cant remember what short it was in, or even the scene. AARRGGGHHH!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline 3Stooges

FineBari3 ,

I think you're talking about "Goofs and Saddles". The part where Curly and Moe are trying to trick the bad guy in a card game by exchanges cards under the desk. They both give each other the Ace cards with their toes and Curly gets frustrated and makes that sound.

Offline dbaxter1991

For my trivia quiz, I want people to answer on the message board. If at least 5 people answer from it, I'll give you the answers.  :o

Offline FineBari3

FineBari3 ,

I think you're talking about "Goofs and Saddles". The part where Curly and Moe are trying to trick the bad guy in a card game by exchanges cards under the desk. They both give each other the Ace cards with their toes and Curly gets frustrated and makes that sound.

YESSSSS!

That's it!!!!!   Thanks!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

xraffle

I answered most of them. Hopefully, someone smarter than me would answer the questions that I was stuck on.

1. While the Three Stooges were shooting Three Dumb Clucks (1937), Curly had to be taken to the hospital. Why was that?
c. cracked skull

2. The ending for Back to the Woods (1937) was re-used from what Stooge short?
b. Whoops, I’m an Indian!

3. How many Three Stooges were there?
b. 6

4. Moe and Larry starred in all 190 Columbia Stooge short films. Which 3rd stooge appeared in the most shorts?
a. Curly

5. In any Stooge film, why was Larry so good at taking a punch?
 ???

6. Woman Haters (1934), the first Stooge short film, was actually part of a series of short films called what?
a. Musical Novelties

7. Hoi Polloi (1935) and Half-Shot Shooters (1936) were banned from what country’s censorship board?
c. Holland

8. Some of Curly's court room testimony in Disorder in the Court (1936) was taken from what Buster Keaton movie?
a. Sidewalks of New York (1931)

9. While the Stooges worked in vaudeville, who did they work for?
a. Ted Healy

10. Rumor has it that Curly sometimes had difficulty remembering his lines. So, when his mind went blank, would he…
 ??? - I always thought he did his "woo woo" as a cover up when he forgot his lines.

11. How many times were the Stooges caught in their underpants?
 ??? ???

12. How did Moe come up with the eye poke?
It started over a bridge game. Larry and Shemp got into a fight and Shemp poked Larry's eyes out of anger.

13. Before Moe was a Stooge, what job did he take?
 ???

14. One Stooge abuse method was banned from a New York TV station. What was it?
b. eye poke

15. Stooge supporting player Bud Jamison was in a total of how many Stooge shorts?
 ??? It was 39. I'm sure of it.

16. Name the Stooge short that had the first pie fight.
In The Sweet Pie And Pie

17. When did Moe, Larry, and Shemp change their act to “The Three Stooges”?
 ???

18. What theme song was used in Stooge shorts from 1934 to 1939?
b. Listen to the Mockingbird

19. The Three Stooges were the official mascot of a school. Name the school.
 ???

20. In 1983, a band called Jump in the Saddle made up a song about a Stooge. What’s the name of the song?
c. Curly Shuffle

21. One of the supporting players in Rockin’ Thru the Rockies (1940) was Linda Winters. She turned out to be in one of the greatest movies, which is…
a. Citizen Kane

22. What was Larry and Moe’s favorite Stooge short?
c. You Nazty Spy!

23. What was Curly’s favorite Stooge short?
 ??? I don't think he had one.

24. What was the name of the Stooges’ act with Ted Healy?
 ??? I always thought it was 'Ted Healy and his stooges'

25. The Three Stooges were the first comedy team to do what?
 ???

Sointenly

My quiz answers. I guessed at a lot of them!

1. b
2. b
3. b
4. b
5. b
6. a
7. b
8. c
9. a
10. b
11. a
12. His mother
13. c
14. b
15. b
16. Don't know
17. a
18. a
19. The Bush Administration
20. c
21. a
22. a
23. c
24. a
25. b

Offline dbaxter1991

You did a great job, xraffle! Now I'll give you the answers!

1. While the Three Stooges were shooting Three Dumb Clucks (1937), Curly had to be taken to the hospital because he cracked his skull when he fell down an elevator shaft.

2. The ending for Back to the Woods (1937) was re-used from Whoops, I'm an Indian!

3. There were 6 Three Stooges in the entire troupe.

4. Moe and Larry starred in all 190 Columbia Stooge short films. The thirs stooge that appeared in the most shorts was Curly. He starred in 97 short films.

5. In any Stooge film, Larry was so good at taking a punch because he trained to be a lightweight boxer.

6. Woman Haters (1934), the first Stooge short film, was actually part of a series of short films called Musical Novelties.

7. Hoi Polloi (1935) and Half-Shot Shooters (1936) were banned from Holland's censorship board.

8. Some of Curly's court room testimony in Disorder in the Court (1936) was taken from Sidewalks of New York (1931) with Buster Keaton.

9. While the Stooges worked in vaudeville, they worked for singer and dancer Ted Healy.

10. Rumor has it that Curly sometimes had difficulty remembering his lines. So, when his mind went blank, he would drop on the ground and spin in circles. That's how we got the Curly Shuffle :D

11. The Three Stooges were caught with their underpants (believe it or not!) 183 times. If you don't believe me, count for yourself! ;)

12. You're right!

13. Before Moe was a Stooge, he had a job doing real estate.

14. You're right!

15. I'm sorry, that was the only thing I messed up on. It's 43.

16. The Stooge short that had the first pie fight was Slippery Silks (1936).

17. Moe, Larry, and Shemp change their act to “The Three Stooges” in 1931 when they placed an ad for a newspaper for a new name.

18. You're right!

19. The Three Stooges were the official mascot of a school. That would the Indiana University School of Dentistry.

20. In 1983, a band called Jump in the Saddle made up a song about a Stooge. It was the Curly Shuffle.

21. One of the supporting players in Rockin’ Thru the Rockies (1940) was Linda Winters. She turned out to be in one of the greatest movies which happened to be Citizen Kane (1941).

22. Larry and Moe’s favorite Stooge short was You Nazty Spy! (1940).

23. Curly actually DID have a favorite: A-Plumbing We Will Go (1940).

24. Before they were named Tedd Healy and his Stooges, they were called Ted Healy and his Southern Gentlemen.

25. The Three Stooges were the first comedy team to make 3-D movies. They made two in 1953: Spooks and Pardon My Backfire.

xraffle

16. The Stooge short that had the first pie fight was Slippery Silks (1936).

Slippery Silks had a cream puffs fight, not a pie fight. I didn't know they were considered the same.

SullivanBo

OK guys, can somebody out there help me?

I've been a Stooge fan since childhood, but I've NEVER understood WHY Joe Besser was chosen as a replacement after Shemp's passing. From the first short in which he appeared, it seems as though he was ill-suited for the part of completing the trio. Seriously, in some of the shorts, it seems as if Larry and Moe posessed a bit of distain for the man's presence!!!! (Personally, I think he's a bit sissy for the part.)

Why was HE chosen?
How was he selected for the part?
Were the guys really fond of him off-screen?
Why / how did he leave?
Does ANYONE think this guy was a welcome addition to the group?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand this strange time in the Boys' life.
Bo

When reading about the goofs in the Stooge shorts...I'm surprised someone missed one of the most blatant one in Hoi Polloi.  Right after a scene cut going into another scene (don't remember which one), you can hear a female doing a vocal 'slate' for the scene.  Offstate she says loudly, "Hoi Polloi...(then something unintelligable).  Anyone elso on this string ever notice it?  Thanks!

Prof. Dunkfeather

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
OK guys, can somebody out there help me?

I've been a Stooge fan since childhood, but I've NEVER understood WHY Joe Besser was chosen as a replacement after Shemp's passing. From the first short in which he appeared, it seems as though he was ill-suited for the part of completing the trio. Seriously, in some of the shorts, it seems as if Larry and Moe posessed a bit of distain for the man's presence!!!! (Personally, I think he's a bit sissy for the part.)

Why was HE chosen?
How was he selected for the part?
Were the guys really fond of him off-screen?
Why / how did he leave?
Does ANYONE think this guy was a welcome addition to the group?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand this strange time in the Boys' life.
Bo

1. He was chosen because he was fat, bald, and under Columbia contract.
2. Most likely, they just selected him out of the actors available to them.
3. From what I understand Besser got along just fine with Moe and Larry.
4. He left due to his wife being ill and Columbia not renewing the contract of the Stooges (he was with them a short time after Columbia let them go).
5. Yes, I think he was a welcome addition. Moe and Larry wanted to keep getting paid, and Joe helped them do so.

Yes, Besser does suck, but Derita was even worse.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

SullivanBo

Stooge Quote Question:

What is the episode where Curly winds-up falling to the floor, beating himself and shouts "I am SO FRUSTRATED!!!!"?

I know the reference is a little obscure, but surely someone will know what it is!

Thanks for your help,
Bo Sullivan

Pilsner Panther

Stooge Quote Question:

What is the episode where Curly winds-up falling to the floor, beating himself and shouts "I am SO FRUSTRATED!!!!"?

I know the reference is a little obscure, but surely someone will know what it is!

Thanks for your help,
Bo Sullivan

Not that obscure, it's from one of the greatest shorts of the Curly era, "Oily To Bed, Oily To Rise." Curly is on the floor under a wagon that has a trap door on the bottom, and he keeps trying to close it, but every time, it comes down and whacks him again. It's at the end of this scene that he yells, "I'm so frustrated!"

xraffle

Pilsner Panther

I believe Curly said "I'm so aggrivated."

I think you might be right about that, xraffle. I haven't watched that short in a while, and my memory isn't what it used to be (what did it used to be? I can't remember!)

Offline dbaxter1991

Curious. How are all the special effects (ex. rising up in the air) and sound FX (slap) provided?

Offline Joseph Wardell

I think this was the worst stooge short that they made.  How did they win an award for this?  The comedy was clammy at most.  The hiccuping nurse bit was the lamest I have ever seen.  The only funny thing was when Moe asks for HANNACONNAPONNA during the operation and neither Larry or Curly know what it is.  Other than that, I think it was lousy.