Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Hook, Line and Sinker (1930) - Wheeler and Woolsey

Offline HomokHarcos

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020987/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2_tt_8_nm_0_q_hook%252C%2520line%2520and%2520sinker

Often, when I look back at old comedy teams and actors, one of my thoughts is "I'm grateful that Laurel and Hardy and The Three Stooges spent the bulk of their films in shorts." Mostly, that's because the there is not much plot to be stretched out to the full length. Hook, Line and Sinker is another movie without much of a plot, instead it's a hotel film about the duo and their interactions with the cast of characters. I don't think this should have necessarily a two-reeler, but I think a streamliner would have been good enough (if only those were around in 1930).

Hotel films were pretty popular in the early talkie era: The Cocoanuts, Grand Hotel and International House (which is my favorite!), so this is probably part of that wave to capitalize. The beginning of the movie is quite fun, as we see the duo as insurance salesman, one of my favorite lines being "there's people dying this year that never died before!" this is all dropped when they meet Dorothy Lee and find out that she was given a hotel, and they head there.

It turns out to be a dump, but the trio have a plan, interestingly they do the same football-like huddle that The Three Stooges would frequently do when discussing ideas. Their plan? False advertising! I find it enjoyable when comedy characters do unethical things to get some money, I'm wondering if this will continue for the both of them once the code isa strictly enforced.

The next chunk of the film is where I feel things start to drag, there are so many gangsters and more than one gang going against each other that it gets confusing. In addition there is Jobyna Howland again, who I always find entertaining; she once again is like the Margaret Dumont of these films. She loves Bob, but hates Bert, so does not want him marrying Dorothy. Also, of note, is that Hugh Herbert is in this film. His role can be best summed up as him not doing much, and that's both a critique of how is he used, and also an actual description of his characterization.

The end of the movie I found entertaining because of how it was filmed. Quite dark and suspenseful, but once again it gets confusing because of how dark it is and who's shooting at who, but then that's also what the characters are doing as they can't even see who they are shooting at. The cops arrest them all, and Bert and Bob get a monetary reward.

Something that's very notable is the lack of music. Not one dance and singing routine is in the film, odd for musical comedians. Not only that, but also not much background music either. Even the title cards lack it, though it gives the film a more realistic feel to it.

The film was a big box office success, the second largest profit of the year for RKO. Still part of the growth period for Wheeler and Woolsey, and I feel they are about to make a big creative breakthrough soon.