Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Dixiana (1930) - Wheeler and Woolsey

Offline HomokHarcos

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020828/

Hey, a Wheeler and Woolsey film in the public domain, that means anybody can watch!

After two stage-like musical romance comedies, Wheeler and Woolsey feature in another one, called Dixiana. Dixiana refers to the title character, played by Bebe Daniels. I was disappointed by Bebe's role in Rio Rita and thought there would be more potential here. She starts the movie as part of a circus trio with Bob and Bert, and knowing she has comedic skills herself, she could have easily fit in as a comedy trio. Of course, the main plot and romance dictates otherwise, she is instead drawn into the main romance plot with a son of... slave owners. Are we supposed to root for this guy? The fact that he's a slaveowner and a boring character makes me not care about the romance one bit. Slavery is treated very casually, but it is thankfully limited to a few scenes, and blackface is not used throughout the movie.

So with Bebe taken away from the Wheeler and Woolsey stuff, it's a good thing Dorothy Lee is in the movie. Except, wait, she's only introduced late in the movie and barely does anything. What a waste. At least Jobyna Howland is in the film, she was quite entertaining in The Cuckoos. Oh come on, she's has one good scene (saying damn, damn, damn over again).

With everything else being a disappointment, it's up to Wheeler and Woolsey to salvage this film, but they don't have many good moments either, aside from a swordfight. I think that was the one scene I was entertained by.

Quite a harsh review from me, but I thought this movie was not very good at all. Funnily, even Dorothy Lee was quoted in the Wheeler and Woolsey book as saying she thought this film was terrible. RKO lost a ton of money from this film, and scrapped plans of making another big budget musical comedy with Bebe Daniels, Bert Wheeler, and Bob Woolsey. From now on, the movies will be vehicles for the duo, with shorter runtime. I admit this excites me, and I'm looking forward to those more than any of these early stagey flicks.

Offline metaldams

Not one I plan on revisiting anytime soon, but you stirred up some memories in your review.  I remember the first time trying to watch this I could only make it a half hour through and turned it off.  A few months later I was bound and determined to get through it and I did.  Off my bucket list.

I just have a hard time getting into this format of musical numbers and comedy when the music is not comic in nature and the comedians are second fiddle.  Really not a Wheeler and Woolsey film proper, that will start next film.  Those films I will rewatch and will have more to say about.  I love a lot of the comedy of this era, but the music?  Nothing inherently wrong with it, but I’m listening to Led Zeppelin outtakes as I’m typing this.  So chalk it up more as a reflection on me versus this style of film itself.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Audiences back then must have loved the ensemble/variety format with these cast show offs and mixture of romance, comedy, and dance scenes. I’m not the biggest fan of these types of films either, but I’ll make a distinction for International House, by far my favorite in that format.

Offline metaldams

Audiences back then must have loved the ensemble/variety format with these cast show offs and mixture of romance, comedy, and dance scenes. I’m not the biggest fan of these types of films either, but I’ll make a distinction for International House, by far my favorite in that format.

Paging through the A TOUR DE FARCE Stooge book, it seems even a great chunk of Stooge live appearances were some sort of variety show with different musical and novelty acts sharing the bill.  Indeed, it was the order of the day.  In plain English, INTERNATIONAL HOUSE rocks.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I think an important thing to keep in mind when reviewing DIXIANA is the fact that it’s not actually a Wheeler and Woolsey movie but rather a movie where they’re just two actors taking part in a filmed stage production. Knowing this, I went in with the mindset of looking at it as a movie with Wheeler and Woolsey in it rather than a Wheeler and Woolsey movie. With that said, having finally watched this, I consider this to be a bad movie.

Yeah, there’s not much defending of this one. Dorothy Lee cited Everett Marshall as the problem; while he is definitely not good in this movie, he actually doesn’t take up as much of it as you would think. The musical numbers? Also not good for the most part, although I did kind of enjoy Woolsey’s number near the end as well as Bebe Daniels’s number when she’s sitting at the gambling table. I clearly didn’t enjoy them enough to remember the songs’ names, but they at least didn’t make me want to fall asleep.

To me, the big problem with this film is its pacing. This movie is extremely slow for its first two thirds. There are moments of dialogue that seem stretched out for absolutely no reason, especially when Marshall and Ralf Harolde are arguing about Dixiana at the beginning and when Joseph Cawthron and Jobyna Howland are arguing about their social status. Speaking of which, Howland is also wasted in her role. The Dumont like flavor she adds to her roles in THE CUCKOOS and HOOK, LINE AND SINKER are completely missing here; this role could have been played by just about anyone. Even Wheeler and Woolsey suffer from the pacing problems. They do the same joke about the “Three Cigars” game four times, and every time they do it, they have to explain the game and slowly set up the picking up of the first two cigars before finally delivering an extremely lame payoff...and the first two times, it’s literally the same exact thing!

I’m kind of torn on Bebe Daniels here. I think she does have a certain charm to her that carries through in some scenes, but the writing just doesn’t do her any favors. There’s one moment where she rejects an offer to join the gambling club before immediately changing her mind when Wheeler and Woolsey decide not to join without her. She really feels like she’s trying to create this emotional moment highlighting her relationship with the duo, but in a rare moment of the pacing being too fast, she’s not given enough time to establish this.

The movie picks up a little bit once Dorothy Lee shows up; they get to focus a bit on the Wheeler-Lee dynamic and the moment with Wheeler and Woolsey trying to trick each other into thinking the other left is amusing. By far the best sequence in this film is when Wheeler and Woolsey are setting up the duel; Woolsey has to first teach Wheeler the proper etiquette to challenge him, only for Woolsey to continually not feel insulted enough until Wheeler just randomly kisses him in an attempt to make peace. It’s actually a really funny sequence and it’s a shame it was wasted on this film of all things.

It is nice to see them take some advantage of the Technicolor process near the end, especially with Woolsey’s outfit, but at the end of the day, it’s still the same boring characters resolving a boring conflict. Heck, the way they resolve it is incredibly stupid; Dixiana literally just tells the witness to inspect the guns for the duel, which he should have done in the first place. Heck, he watched the guy putting the bullets in. How did he not notice that the bullet wasn’t actually put in the second gun; it was literally right in front of him!

I’d heard bad things about this before and there was always a part of me that felt it couldn’t be nearly as bad as people make it out to be. But it is; even Wheeler and Woolsey are not as funny as they usually are. It’s really only worth it for that one duel sequence. Beyond that, this is one I won’t be seeking out again.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

The whole “pick it up” gag I found unfunny, and did not see any need for it more than once.

A lot of early talkies come across more as filmed staged productions rather than films themself. Similar thing with the first two Marx films. Funnily enough this movie (Dixiana) being a bomb looks to have been a good thing for us comedy fans!

Offline G.mariner55

I always considered Half Shot At Sunrise to be Wheeler and Woolsey's best film. Lot of nice gags in that one.