Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The New SHEMP BOOK

Offline Kopfy2013

Has anyone had a chance to look/read the new Shemp book?

Offline metaldams

Had no clue one was even out.  I pretty much avoid social media and this site is my only source for Stooge news.  Doing a Google search is this it?

I would love to hear from those who have read it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Yep, that's the one.  I just read about it in the latest issue of the Journal.  I haven't read it yet, but I've ordered a copy and am looking forward to it.

Offline metaldams

Yep, that's the one.  I just read about it in the latest issue of the Journal.  I haven't read it yet, but I've ordered a copy and am looking forward to it.

Man, I have to renew my subscription, frankly, I don’t know why I haven’t.  Thanks Rob, I’ll be getting this book soon.  Looking forward to reading it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I want to read this eventually, I have quite the backlog of books in my collection first though!

Offline Umbrella Sam

This is my first time hearing about this too. Much like HomokHarcos, I have a backlog of books I’m working on too (including the new Chaplin biography that came out this year), but plan on ordering this eventually. That being said, upon further looking, I noticed that this book is published by BearManor Media, which is definitely a good sign for me; the books/biographies they publish generally are of very high quality.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Knobby522

Half way through reading it currently. First let me see I am thrilled there is finally a Shemp biography published and available to read. I also don’t want to be too critical, but could have been edited better. Having said that, it is clearly a labor of love, I sincerely appreciate the amount of time and sweat equity Geoff Dale put into this, and it is very informative. Thank you again to Geoff Dale to putting in all of the hard work and finally providing us with a Shemp biography!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I started reading the book a couple of nights ago, and was very pleasantly surprised to find a very nice mention of ThreeStooges.net and Moronika early on in it.   [cool]

Offline metaldams

Oh man, this is killing me.  I made a vow to have a 90 day break from buying leisurely things that don’t involve hanging out with friends because I spent so much on blu rays and to a lesser financial extent, the excellent Gary Lassin Stooge book the past six months.  That 90 days ends mid March.  I even purposely avoided listening to the Spotify podcast with the author to resist temptation (and I will listen once I buy the book).

I will post my thoughts on this.  If it’s around mid March that I do so, you folks know my discipline was excellent.  If it’s earlier, I caved in, but am reading a nice new Shemp book.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I’ve maintained my discipline and will guarantee come mid March, I am ordering this book first thing.

In the meantime, has anybody read the book?  Any new revelations or interesting thoughts?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline umbdae

I've finished the book and was a little disappointed.  I was hoping for more biographical information and it just wasn't there (or at least, it wasn't there in the quantity I wanted).

One thing I did like  was that the author dismissed the calumny that Shemp was a bed-wetter (what was Moe thinking when he put that smear in his autobiography?)

All in all I'm glad I have the book.  I hope its the first of many more.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I caved in and bought the book. Haven’t started reading yet, but I skimmed through quickly and already found some information that kind of blew my mind. Definitely looking forward to this.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline PresidentWardRobey

Has anyone had a chance to look/read the new Shemp book?

Thanks for letting us know about the book.  As I went to look it up and save it to my wish list, I noticed that there will be another Shemp biography coming out later this year.  The title is: SHEMP!: The Biography of The Three Stooges’ Shemp Howard, The Face of Film Comedy.  The book is written by Burt Kearns and is scheduled for release on October 1st.

Offline HomokHarcos

There’s another Shemp biography coming out later this year, it looks quite interesting.

Offline QuinceHead

There’s another Shemp biography coming out later this year, it looks quite interesting.
Oh?? Do tell! :D