Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Thoughts on The Beach Boys?

Offline HomokHarcos

Not classic comedy related, but I do know there is somewhat of a music fandom. Late 2022-early 2023 was a very rough time in my life, but one thing I do look back fondly on is getting into The Beach Boys. I knew nothing about them, but over the past year they’ve really become one of my favorite bands. My personal favorite period is from 1967-1973 (Wild Honey to Holland).

Offline metaldams

Not classic comedy related, but I do know there is somewhat of a music fandom. Late 2022-early 2023 was a very rough time in my life, but one thing I do look back fondly on is getting into The Beach Boys. I knew nothing about them, but over the past year they’ve really become one of my favorite bands. My personal favorite period is from 1967-1973 (Wild Honey to Holland).

Good to see you back.  Hope things remain better for you.  I’m going to try to catch up on Paul’s reviews and getting back in the swing of things for my own, so stick around.

It’s been a while since I listened to The Beach Boys and can stand to revisit them.  My parents were born in the very early fifties, so it’s impossible for me to not know their early stuff. Later on, I’m old enough to remember “Kokomo” being a massive hit.

I definitely went through a huge Pet Sounds phase where I’d listen to that album multiple times a week.  When I was in college, the days before streaming, I had the 2 CD set of Sunflower/Surf’s Up and listened to that a ton.  So yeah, their music has been involved in certain parts of my life for sure.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I've always enjoyed the Beach Boys, but I couldn't call myself a knowledgeable fan.  I couldn't name their albums, etc., but I like their songs whenever they happen to pop up in my playlist.

My parents were born in the very early fifties,

That just makes me feel old.  lol

Offline metaldams

I've always enjoyed the Beach Boys, but I couldn't call myself a knowledgeable fan.  I couldn't name their albums, etc., but I like their songs whenever they happen to pop up in my playlist.

That just makes me feel old.  lol

Well, for comparison, Homok’s parents aren’t much older than me!  Let that one sink in.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Well, for comparison, Homok’s parents aren’t much older than me!  Let that one sink in.

Excuse me while I hobble away with my cane*[oldman]

* I actually do have one that I need if I'm going to be walking very far.  It's pretty hefty, made from ebony wood with a silver handle, so I'm prepared if I'm ever attacked by a werewolf.

Offline metaldams

Excuse me while I hobble away with my cane*[oldman]

* I actually do have one that I need if I'm going to be walking very far.  It's pretty hefty, made from ebony wood with a silver handle, so I'm prepared if I'm ever attacked by a werewolf.

Glad to know Lon Chaney is no threat.  If it makes you feel any better, if my Dad was a mere few weeks older, I’d be saying born in the late forties.

I brought up my parent’s age because they and their generation grew up with The Beach Boys when they were initially popular and when I was a kid, they played their music all the time.  Even my Aunt’s and Uncles, who were teens in the 70’s and a bit younger than my Dad, had the Endless Summer compilation during that revival and even my age, they were always on FULL HOUSE when John Stamos was their drummer.  They really did expand generations for a while, though I’m not sure that’s still the case.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Good to see you back.  Hope things remain better for you.  I’m going to try to catch up on Paul’s reviews and getting back in the swing of things for my own, so stick around.

It’s been a while since I listened to The Beach Boys and can stand to revisit them.  My parents were born in the very early fifties, so it’s impossible for me to not know their early stuff. Later on, I’m old enough to remember “Kokomo” being a massive hit.

I definitely went through a huge Pet Sounds phase where I’d listen to that album multiple times a week.  When I was in college, the days before streaming, I had the 2 CD set of Sunflower/Surf’s Up and listened to that a ton.  So yeah, their music has been involved in certain parts of my life for sure.
I'm going to see if I can catch up myself, I'm not sure how many I haven't seen yet.

The Beach Boys were under my radar because my family were mostly into hard rock or blues rock (such as AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple etc.), and The Beach Boys did not fit that into that, though I do think their early 1970s work showed they could be a legitimate and very good rock band.

Offline Umbrella Sam

The Beach Boys have definitely been on my radar as far as a deep dive into their albums, I just haven’t gotten to that yet. I know the hits (“I Get Around” probably being my favorite) and have listened to a few of their albums, including PET SOUNDS. I also listened to a little bit of SUMMER IN PARADISE out of genuine curiosity and, yes, those songs are just as horrible as people make them out to be. But in general, I’d say I’m a fan, even “Kokomo”, which I know is a hot debate topic between Beach Boys fans, I still like that song.

I too am happy to see you back, Homok. Hoping everything’s going better for you.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Samurai

I've always been a fan. In my early dating era (teens to 20's), my go-to getting ready to go out music was invariably Beach boys or James Brown. They would get me in a happy mood without getting TOO amped. Endless Summer was probably the favorite, as every track was gold...and especially nice in the winter. Pet Sounds was one of the rare releases that I have purchased in 5 forms: 8-track, LP, cassette, CD and mp3. I think Pink Floyd and Zeppelin are the only others. 😎

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Very glad to see you back, Homok.

The Beach Boys are definitely a blind spot for me, beyond the big hits, although there are a lot of bands and artists (perhaps too many) that I can say that about.

However, Umbrella Sam bringing up SUMMER IN PARADISE leads me to link to the episode of Todd in the Shadows' excellent series TRAINWRECKORDS covering it:

"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline HomokHarcos

Very glad to see you back, Homok.

The Beach Boys are definitely a blind spot for me, beyond the big hits, although there are a lot of bands and artists (perhaps too many) that I can say that about.

However, Umbrella Sam bringing up SUMMER IN PARADISE leads me to link to the episode of Todd in the Shadows' excellent series TRAINWRECKORDS covering it:

Thanks for sharing that video, I'll definitely take a watch!

Offline metaldams

I've always been a fan. In my early dating era (teens to 20's), my go-to getting ready to go out music was invariably Beach boys or James Brown. They would get me in a happy mood without getting TOO amped. Endless Summer was probably the favorite, as every track was gold...and especially nice in the winter. Pet Sounds was one of the rare releases that I have purchased in 5 forms: 8-track, LP, cassette, CD and mp3. I think Pink Floyd and Zeppelin are the only others. 😎

I have the Star Time box set from James Brown.  The funk stuff pumps me up.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"Pet Sounds" is a flat-out masterpiece that challenged The Beatles to make "Sgt. Pepper."

Offline metaldams

I might, key word being “might,” like PET SOUNDS better than any Beatles album.  Certainly at the same level as their best work.  I actually listened to the album a lot in my twenties and lyrically, PET SOUNDS is the best album about the transition into adulthood I can think of.  “Caroline No” the most heartbreaking, and real to me, break up song I know of.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I was reading the description of the "Pet Sounds" album on Wikipedia and thinking, "I don't remember this at all", but I was only 11 when it came out so I thought I just hadn't been paying attention back then (I liked popular music at that age, but I was also getting heavily into classical music about that time - my Beethoven phase - and wasn't listening to the radio as much.)  Then, as I read on I saw the titles "Sloop John B" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and thought, "Hell, I know those!"  So it turns out that I know a number of the songs, but I probably never knew the name of the album (which is actually par for the course, for me.)  Now I've got to listen to the whole album.  :)

Offline metaldams

I was reading the description of the "Pet Sounds" album on Wikipedia and thinking, "I don't remember this at all", but I was only 11 when it came out so I thought I just hadn't been paying attention back then (I liked popular music at that age, but I was also getting heavily into classical music about that time - my Beethoven phase - and wasn't listening to the radio as much.)  Then, as I read on I saw the titles "Sloop John B" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and thought, "Hell, I know those!"  So it turns out that I know a number of the songs, but I probably never knew the name of the album (which is actually par for the course, for me.)  Now I've got to listen to the whole album.  :)

The album, relatively speaking, wasn’t a hit compared to other Beach Boys albums at the time.  My parents, who grew up with The Beach Boys, never heard of the album until they were in their forties.  You’re definitely not alone.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

The album, relatively speaking, wasn’t a hit compared to other Beach Boys albums at the time.  My parents, who grew up with The Beach Boys, never heard of the album until they were in their forties.  You’re definitely not alone.
I bought Mike Love’s autobiography, essentially there was a split in what he wanted and what Brian wanted. Mike admits he was mostly business oriented and wanted to make songs that would appeal to the masses, while not caring what the critics or “hipsters” (in his words) thought. Brian was the opposite.
So, for Mike the lower sales were concerning.

A phrase he used was “you can have commerce without art, but not art without commerce.”

Offline HomokHarcos

I find parallels between The Beach Boys revival from Endless Summer and The Three Stooges with the TV exposure. Both went from being big acts, to struggling to falling into the background of the public, only to have a massive uptick in popularity amount younger fans getting introduced to their work, and becoming hit live attractions to capitalize.

Offline metaldams

I find parallels between The Beach Boys revival from Endless Summer and The Three Stooges with the TV exposure. Both went from being big acts, to struggling to falling into the background of the public, only to have a massive uptick in popularity amount younger fans getting introduced to their work, and becoming hit live attractions to capitalize.

Does that make Blondie Chaplin the Joe Besser of The Beach Boys?  Maybe John Stamos can be Curly Joe.

Yeah, no doubt ENDLESS SUMMER did for The Beach Boys what TV did for The Three Stooges.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I'll summarize my thoughts on the Beach Boys thusly...

They belong in "Music That Sucks" more than the bands Lord Potmore put in there.  [pie]
#1 fire kibitzer