Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Get Along Little Hubby (1934) - Walter Catlett & Vivian Oakland

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137681/

Oh, brother, where to start with GET ALONG LITTLE HUBBY, the fourth non-musical Columbia comedy short?  The opening scene to this short was so hilarious that I had to pause the video so I could laugh my tail off.  It was such a perfect establishment of the relationships right off the bat, but then...

Walter Catlett and Vivian Oakland make a fantastic pairing for this short with only 6 years between them.  Walter is perfect for the role of the hen-pecked husband who isn't afraid to occasionally snap back.  Monte Collins is a natural in the role of the annoying brother-in-law that tortures Walter.  The annoying brother-in-law routine is dull and old hat, but the thoughts that we hear over it are   what makes this introduction come home.

The middle portion of this short is bizarre and rushed and yet it's all in a good way.  Walter is a train wreck as a man forced to do all the work by his power-hungry money-hungry wife.  It's a bit interesting because even back then a pair of 40-something year-olds with a child would never be "set for life" on $50000, but it's still an interesting plot device.  The way Walter snaps at the end is a typical comeuppance, but in Columbia style.

A nice way to spend 18 minutes

9/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Eh, I don’t know. For me, this falls under the stock “domestic category”, where Columbia simply puts a comedian they don’t know what to do with in a setting not suited for them. I thought Catlett was great in YOU’RE NEXT!, but that’s because he’s allowed to be a comic leader in the style of Robert Woolsey like he was always meant to be. Here, he’s basically being subjected to constant abuse from an incredibly annoying Vivian Oakland. Maybe he played these types of roles more often than I think, but the Walter Catlett I’m familiar with is the scheming type, the one who can talk his way out of anything. Here, he just seems a bit too out of his comfort zone.

It’s a shame, because there are some good ideas here. I like the scene with the son changing the radio program while Catlett is trying to bake a cake, but it doesn’t feel unique to Catlett; just about any comedian could have done this. Billy Gilbert shows up and while it’s great to see him in just about anything, he too seems like he’s not being used to his full potential; when he seems like he’s finally on the burst of a comical explosion of anger, they cut to something else.

One thing I think this short does have going for it is Monte Collins as the brother-in-law, the type of character I normally hate in these types of comedies. But Monte Collins is one of the few types who I think can genuinely pull this off; like Shemp Howard, he has that infectious laugh you can’t help but enjoy, even if he’s basically ruining his sister and brother-in-law’s lives in the process. He remains consistently funny throughout the short, but unfortunately his role diminishes significantly in the middle before suddenly returning near the end.

In general, I wasn’t a fan. The scene with Walter and the strong man was awful; the bit at the beginning where we hear Walter and Vivian’s thoughts was weird and pretty much disappears, making it seem pointless; and the ending is very rushed...literally. In sped up footage, Walter just chases Heinie Conklin, steals the bag and goes back inside with no real resolution at all. Again, there are some good ideas here and I can see others liking it, but it’s not my type of comedy, and certainly not the type of thing I want to see Walter Catlett doing.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Released between Woman Haters and Punch Drunks, so yes, Get Along Little Hubby is indeed an early Columbia effort.  Fascinating to think Columbia was opening a two reel comedy shorts department at this time when almost everybody else would soon be winding down.

I’m a little opposite of Sam as I liked Ms. Oakland quite a bit and almost didn’t like Monte Collins.  I’ll explain what I mean by almost in a bit.  But yeah, nice seeing Vivien Oakland at Columbia and surreal since I associate her with Hal Roach.  It would have been nice to see her with The Three Stooges.  I thought she and Walter Catlett did make a refreshingly believable comic couple (I.e. not a case of a 45 year old with a 19 year old) who worked well together.  Their arguments were well done and they have good on screen chemistry.  Really got a big laugh when she ordered Catlett to take his clothes off and he got into that wrestling match.  The statue with the hand and foot reversed gave the short a refreshing sense of surrealism and the kid with the feathers stuck in the piano Billy Gilbert was playing at a party felt like a precursor to Ants in the Pantry.

As far as Monte Collins, with some exceptions, I’m generally not a fan and found him annoying here for the most part.  However, it all paid off in the end when Catlett gave Collins the Moe Howard treatment at the end.  I actually got a big laugh out of that so there was a payoff after all!

Thanks for posting this one Paul.  It was nice visiting an old Columbia short.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I finally got around to watching Wheeler and Woolsey’s SO THIS IS AFRICA which was reviewed here a couple years ago. Ultimately, I’ve decided to put off reviewing it for now because I didn’t like it and, knowing that Wheeler and Woolsey fans love it, I’m not in the mood for arguing against it right this moment (for those who don’t know, I do like Wheeler and Woolsey, just not SO THIS IS AFRICA). One thing I noted though was the fact that they also did a “hearing contradictory thoughts” gag just like here. Even this early on, Columbia was not above recycling its own material.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com