Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Tim Wakefield

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
For those of us who were/are Red Sox fans, this is a gut punch.

https://www.mlb.com/news/tim-wakefield-dies-at-57

Tim was the kind of baseball player that makes the game fun.  He and I attended the same college, and I once even saw him on campus because he stayed in the area during and after his career.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I’m a Red Sox fan and am totally bummed about this. A very unique pitcher who if the weather conditions and turf was just right, could be absolutely dominant and if they weren’t - you know.  Tim would be the first to admit that.  I’ll never forget him pitching in extras, game 5 of the 2004 ALCS, do or die game with Varitek catching him.  Tim usually needed a different catcher to catch his knuckleball and I was screaming at the screen the whole time.  Miraculously, there were three passed balls that inning but he somehow prevented the Yankees from scoring in spite of that.  Probably my favorite Tim Wakefield memory.

It was a fun adventure following him over the years and as good and durable as he was as a pitcher, I hear he was a better human being.  This Red Sox season was pretty bad and Tim Wakefield dying on the last day made it that much worse.  He was announcing games fairly recently, so this was all sudden and quite shocking.  I hear his wife has cancer as well, what a horrible time for the family.  I hope he rests in peace.
- Doug Sarnecky