Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Double Trouble (1941) - Harry Langdon & Charley Rogers

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033549/

This is the best Harry Langdon talkie feature I've reviewed so far.  Next film.  If only it were that easy, but alas we are doing serious reviews here.  If it weren't for a serious review, the time wouldn't be well spent on watching the movie.

Only in a Harry Langdon film will you find such risqué scenes mixed in to such delightfully moronic behavior.  DOUBLE TROUBLE is a film that, while sometimes not being the most reasonable, does deliver a complete story without grievous errors in a 60 minute runtime.  The film is billed as a Harry Langdon movie, but like HUSBANDS BEWARE Harry is almost inconsequential in his starring feature.  His actual significance in the plot is about 2 minutes worth.  The romantic subplot never gets resolved, giving this one a minor wart in that regard.  The big wart is that there are a few brief scenes that are inconsequential and serve nothing but as a comedic interlude.

Oh, where to start with this one.  Harry is as dimwitted as ever in this one, and he nicely comes across as a manchild despite being 56-57 years old when this one was filmed.  Laurel and Hardy fans will know Charley Rogers, who provides an exception and differently dimwitted schemer to contrast with Harry.  As this kind of pair, they work rather well and manage to make a credible team.  Together, they get into all sorts of trouble, mostly due to schemes dreamt up by Charley.  No one needs to know that men in drag... isn't funny.

On the other hand, the supporting cast does what is asked of them.  No one does a bad job, no one particularly stands out among them either... except for Benny Rubin.  He is great here as the crotchety chef and is the funniest one during that scene.  The second half has some bizarre moments with hands going into Harry's shirt while people think he's a women, and Harry flips off the camera.

I think I'll give it an 8/10.  I think this one could possibly be appreciated more upon a second viewing.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I have seen footage of this, but never the whole film.  Namely Harry and Charley walking down the street in drag.  Charley Rogers also played the Larry role when Shemp remade PUNCH DRUNKS in A HIT WITH A MISS.  As far as studios - PRC, Monogram, Langdon was definitely taking the poverty row route. 

I’ll give this one a look in the next few days.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

This film has improved in my eyes upon this recent viewing although there are a few things I like less since my last review of it, the big one being I’m not quite as fond of Frank Jaquet’s performance as I once was. To me, this role seems like it was tailor made for Vernon Dent and Jaquet lacks the nuance and versatility Dent could bring to these types of performances. I also think the film suffers from a problem that a lot of Monogram films tend to suffer from: a promising setup that becomes so rushed near the end that things just kind of stop making sense. I mean, come on, Whitmore was really able to gets millions of dollars worth of beans sold in just half a day? As was my problem last time, the romantic leads are pretty bad. Dave O’Brien is incredibly awkward as a romantic lead and Catherine Lewis is in so little of this I’m surprised she managed a third billing credit.

So what makes this film worth it? Well, it’s pretty obvious: Langdon and Rogers are actually a really good team. When you get down to it, Langdon really is just being the same character he was in the silent era. The childlike wonder he has in trying to see when the refrigerator light goes off is a great example. Gags like him constantly grabbing apples every time he tries to leave the house or his failed magic routine show that the people making this film knew his strengths. And while I don’t think it shows as much as in MISBEHAVING HUSBANDS, Langdon does get to show off his versatility here, particularly from a vocal perspective, as he has to maintain a high pitched voice multiple times throughout the film. He really seems like he’s having a lot of fun here, so much so that I have to wonder if he may have been behind the casting of both Dave O’Brien and Louise Currie in his later Columbia shorts.

And of course there’s Charley Rogers. Given the Laurel and Hardy connection (they had both worked together as writers on the final Laurel and Hardy films for Roach), you’d think they’d try to go for the obvious Laurel and Hardy clone, but they really don’t. Charley Rogers has more of a wise guy attitude combined with the same amount of intelligence as Langdon. At times he kind of reminds me of a British equivalent of Chico Marx. The two clearly do have chemistry together, especially during the scene where they’re trying to fool the Whitmores into thinking they’re calling from London. I also really like their delivery when they’re trying to tell the story of how they left England and keep interrupting to decide what food they should grab. But probably my favorite is the recurring gag where Harry is constantly hiccuping and the only way to stop it is for Charley to scare him...by simply saying the word boo. That combined with Harry’s underwhelmed “Oh” after Charley does it is absolutely hilarious.

I’m usually the one here defending men in drag...in the sense that I don’t hate it nearly as much as you guys do. And, yeah, I’d maybe even argue this is actually one of the better uses of it, especially in how everyone seems to think Harry is much more attractive than Charley, playing into the whole “luck” angle that was so prevalent throughout Harry’s career. And yes, I do like Benny Rubin’s performance here. I remember seeing many mixed thoughts on Rubin here based off of reading the Stooge discussions, but I’m on the side that likes Rubin. He was on The Jack Benny Program a lot and I think his over-the-top performances do work in most of his appearances.

A fun, but flawed film. I don’t like it nearly as much as MISBEHAVING HUSBANDS, but the huge potential of this pairing does make up for a lot of its flaws.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Umbrella Sam

I don’t know what’s stranger about this short: the fact that Langdon wears the same dress that he does is DOUBLE TROUBLE or the fact that he’s miming to a Cliff Nazarro soundtrack.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I’m usually the one here defending men in drag...in the sense that I don’t hate it nearly as much as you guys do. And, yeah, I’d maybe even argue this is actually one of the better uses of it, especially in how everyone seems to think Harry is much more attractive than Charley, playing into the whole “luck” angle that was so prevalent throughout Harry’s career. And yes, I do like Benny Rubin’s performance here. I remember seeing many mixed thoughts on Rubin here based off of reading the Stooge discussions, but I’m on the side that likes Rubin. He was on The Jack Benny Program a lot and I think his over-the-top performances do work in most of his appearances.

My opinion of a lot of actors has improved over the years, and Benny is one of them.  I still don't care for some of his Three Stooges roles, but he perfectly drops into any ethnic stereotype with ease.  His best scenes are where a ham-fisted actor is needed, and he had a ham in each fist it seems!
#1 fire kibitzer