Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Moronika is moving back home on September 1st!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
As our old-timers know, this forum was once part of ThreeStooges.net.  Unfortunately, as time went on the site became more of a resource hog, and eventually I had to move the forum to its own domain, which eased up the drain on the server.  Thus, Moronika.com was born.

It also made me realize that the bulk of the problem that we had been having was my original coding for ThreeStooges.net.  I'm a self-taught  programmer, and frankly there were things that I missed that were contributing to the problem.  Fortunately, I found an excellent object-oriented coding framework that was well documented, and I used it to completely rebuild ThreeStooges.net.

But I wasn't confident about handling user registration and authentication, so I ended up using someone' else's solution.  That worked, but it didn't have a good way to automatically keep the spammers out, like the forum does, do I came up with a bastardized hybrid which did the trick, sort of.  But there have always been issues with it and I've never liked it.

This summer I started looking into blending the forum back into the main site, where it belongs.  I've been working on making and testing the coding changes on my local server, and I'm nearly done.  I plan on wrapping it up this weekend, and since I've already taken next Friday off to make a long Labor Day weekend, I'm going to make the change online on September 1st.  ThreeStooges.net and the forum will be put in Maintenance Mode in the morning, while I transfer everything over to ThreeStooges.net.  If everything goes according to plan, they should be back up and running by early afternoon.

Offline metaldams

So will we still be able to type, “www.Moronika.com” to get to the site or will there be a threestooges.net URL?  Just trying to figure out if I’ll need a new bookmark to get to the site.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
So will we still be able to type, “www.Moronika.com” to get to the site or will there be a threestooges.net URL?  Just trying to figure out if I’ll need a new bookmark to get to the site.

First - notice that this is in the Administrators Archived Topics board, which means only you and I can see this.  lol

The reason for that is because as soon as I posted the topic, I ran into a major problem trying to download the latest copy of the Moronika database on a test run - the messages table didn't want to download for some reason.  When I saw that I deleted this post immediately, since I wasn't sure what was going on or how long it would take me to fix.  Since that table stores the actual content of the posts, the forum is not really going to work without that data. 

I did eventually get the contents of the table downloaded onto the test server, but it took a number of different attempts over a few days, so I'm delaying the merger until I'm sure all of the bugs are worked out.  We certainly don't want a repeat of the disaster 20 years ago.  (Brent would probably hunt me down and beat me to death!  lol)

To answer your question, though, I think the forum is going to end up with a threestooges.net URL, but you won't have to change your bookmarks, as they should automatically point to the correct page on the server.  My brother made it sound as though we can somehow make the URL say moronika.com instead of threestooges.net, but he's now in the Philippines and I haven't figured out how to do that.  Fortunately I do know how to auto redirect the links to the correct URL, so it shouldn't be an issue.