Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Where do people here fall on Buck Jones?

Offline falsealarms

I haven't explored Buck Jones' work too much over the years but noticed some of it is available on DVD.

Years ago, Sony released several of his early 1930s films on DVD-R's that cost about $20 apiece. Mill Creek rounded those 9 films up and made a pressed 3 disc set a few years ago that can be had through Critics Choice and a few other places for $15-20 total, obviously a far more economical piece.

It has these films:

- Men Without Law (1930)
- The Avenger (1931)
- Branded (1931)
- The Deadline (1931)
- Range Feud (1931)
- Forbidden Trail (1932)
- The Thrill Hunter (1933)
- The California Trail (1933)
- Unknown Valley (1933)

Anyone see of those? None are available to stream anywhere, and don't turn up too much on TCM either.

Offline metaldams

I’ve never been a western guy.  A few individual films I enjoy, but simply a genre I never could grasp.  I even grew up around it, my Dad watched them all the time when I was a kid.  I’ll put it to you this way.  I have developed an obsession with Italian film director Mario Bava these past few years.  The only films of his I have not checked out are his spaghetti westerns.

I do have some Hammer film and the Stooge blu rays from Mill Creek and I would imagine they’re of similar quality on the Buck Jones films.  Mill Creek’s quality has gone up significantly over the years.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I’ve never been a western guy.  A few individual films I enjoy, but simply a genre I never could grasp.  I even grew up around it, my Dad watched them all the time when I was a kid.  I’ll put it to you this way.  I have developed an obsession with Italian film director Mario Bava these past few years.  The only films of his I have not checked out are his spaghetti westerns.

I do have some Hammer film and the Stooge blu rays from Mill Creek and I would imagine they’re of similar quality on the Buck Jones films.  Mill Creek’s quality has gone up significantly over the years.

I guess THRILL HUNTER (1933) is on YouTube in pretty decent quality. It's pretty fun, not a traditional western. Buck plays a cowboy who ends up in the movie business.

Offline Umbrella Sam

The only Buck Jones film I’ve seen is the first one Shemp appeared in, HOLLYWOOD ROUND UP. I liked it as a movie overall, but I didn’t really think of Jones as being particularly special as a leading man, though I also understand that it was one of his later films. I actually found it to be one of Shemp’s better supporting performances in a feature.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

The only Buck Jones film I’ve seen is the first one Shemp appeared in, HOLLYWOOD ROUND UP. I liked it as a movie overall, but I didn’t really think of Jones as being particularly special as a leading man, though I also understand that it was one of his later films. I actually found it to be one of Shemp’s better supporting performances in a feature.

I’ll have to check out that film with Shemp.
- Doug Sarnecky