Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

STOOGE-O-RAMA out on DVD/Blu-ray on July 11, 2023

Offline falsealarms

Exciting news from Kit Parker Films and Cinemuseum LLC. A multi-disc set called Stooge-O-Rama: The Men Behind The Mayhem And Even More Mayhem! will be out on DVD and Blu-ray on July 11.

While a complete, specific content listing remains unannounced, the set promises to include "over 8 hours of material, including unreleased outtakes, color home movies, rare television appearances and commercials, theatrical trailers, unseen archival interview footage, forgotten audio recordings from live stooge appearances, family photo galleries, and much more new-to-home-video fun!"

Confirmed extras include the extremely rare Shemp solo short EVERYBODY LIKES MUSIC (1934),  the 1937 theatrical featurette SURPRISE, SURPRISE with Moe, Larry and Curly, and an HD version of the 1990s documentary STOOGES: THE MEN BEHIND THE MAYHEM, with a new intro from Curly's grandson.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/The-Three-Stooges-Stooge-O-Rama-The-Men-Behind-the-Mayhem-and-Even-More-Mayhem-Blu-ray/dp/B0BY5MN89Z

=============================

AMERICA’S FAVORITE COMEDY TEAM KNOWN FOR THEIR ZANY ANARCHIC SLAPSTICK SHORT FILMS LIKE YOU’VE NEVER SEEN THEM BEFORE!

The Three Stooges have been entertaining fans with their riotous brand of eye-gouging, face slapping, and head bopping insanity for nearly 100 years! Now, CINEMUSEUM LLC and KIT PARKER FILMS offer fans of the Amalgamated Morons a chance to revisit the Golden Age of Stoogery with this new 3-Disc collection of archival rarities. Whether you're a lifelong Stoogephile, or just a casual knucklehead, you are sure to find something to love about this comprehensive tribute to America's most beloved madcaps: Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp, Joe, and Curly Joe - The Three Stooges!

Over 8 hours of material, including unreleased outtakes, color home movies, rare television appearances and commercials, theatrical trailers, unseen archival interview footage, forgotten audio recordings from live stooge appearances, family photo galleries, and much more new-to-home-video fun!

SPECIAL FEATURES:

Brand new presentation of the award-winning documentary program STOOGES: THE MEN BEHIND THE MAYHEM, with new introduction by Curly Howard’s real-life grandson, Bradley Server

Lost theatrical featurette SURPRISE, SURPRISE (1937) starring Moe, Larry, and Curly

Long unseen short subject EVERYBODY LIKES MUSIC (1934) starring Shemp Howard

Restored and remastered for HD from the best surviving materials.

Offline metaldams

Excellent, just pre-ordered.  Between Gary’s book and this, 2023 seems to be the most eventful Stooge year in a long time.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

One new tidbit about what's on here:

"Audio recordings of Larry and Moe’s college appearances from the 70s."

Color me very intrigued. Hopefully the full content list is out soon.

Offline archiezappa

This looks like a fun set. And a couple of rare short subjects? That's really awesome!

Offline falsealarms

I'm really surprised this has been up for pre-order for about 6 weeks now, and we still don't have a complete content listing.

Offline archiezappa

I'm really surprised this has been up for pre-order for about 6 weeks now, and we still don't have a complete content listing.

Yeah, me too. I want to know what I'm getting, before I pre-order.

Offline falsealarms

Yeah, me too. I want to know what I'm getting, before I pre-order.

Yeah, I can't remember one release that I've bought over the years that wasn't explicitly detailed by the time pre-orders went live. It's very odd to me. There's only been vague details and a few specifics like a few rare shorts and audio clips from the 70s.

Offline metaldams

I’m definitely buying this, so if nothing more detailed comes out before release, I’ll be very specific as to the contents in this thread.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

I’m definitely buying this, so if nothing more detailed comes out before release, I’ll be very specific as to the contents in this thread.

Cool! Thanks!

Offline falsealarms

Following is the complete content list for the new CineMuseum LLC and Kit Parker Films home video release which lands on July 11th: STOOGE O-RAMA: THE MEN BEHIND THE MAYHEM -- AND EVEN MORE MAYHEM! (2023)

Disc 1
WELCOME – Introduction from Bradley “Curly G” Server, Curly Howard’s youngest grandson!
STOOGES: THE MEN BEHIND THE MAYHEM (2023) – Updated version of the award-winning documentary program which originally aired in 1994 as part of A&E’s groundbreaking BIOGRAPHY television series.   
BONUS FEATURES
EXTENDED INTERVIEWS:
LYLA FINE BUDNICK – Larry Fine’s sister
NATE BUDNICK –Stooges stage show sound man
BILLY WEST – Voice actor (REN & STIMPY, DOUG, FUTURAMA, DISENCHANTMENT)
LOLA JENSEN – Actress (FLAT FOOT STOOGES & YES, WE HAVE NO BONANZA)
UNAIRED COMMERCIAL BUMPS (1992) – Never before seen unused commercial bumps for the first TV airing of STOOGES: THE MEN BEHIND THE MAYHEM

PHOTO GALLERIES:
LYLA FINE PERSONAL SCRAPBOOK – Gallery of rare family photographs
STOOGE MEMORABILIA – Gallery of rare Three Stooges collectibles and memorabilia

Disc 2
STOOGES LOST AND FOUND 
Fox Movietone News – Sound newsreel outtakes featuring Moe & Shemp Howard (Aug 6, 1929)
Stooge Home Movies – Ultra rare B&W / color snippets of the Stooges at work and play (1920s – 1960s)
Everybody Likes Music (March 9, 1934) Long unavailable Shemp Howard Van Beuren short
Surprise, Surprise (October 31, 1937) Lost theatrical featurette, with Moe, Larry & Curly, promoting their Pillsbury Projector toy giveaway.
Ed Wynn Camel Comedy Caravan – Complete TV Kinescope (March 11, 1950)
Andy Wade’s California Home Movies (July 1956) Extraordinary home movie reel featuring color footage of Moe, Larry, Joe Besser & Emil Sitka clowning at Columbia Pictures, the last known footage Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy, and more!   
On The Go (April 15, 1960) The complete TV interview with Moe, Larry & Curly Joe DeRita
Strictly For Laffs (July 1, 1962) – Complete TV Pilot featuring Moe Howard.
Star Spangled Salesman (Feb 9, 1968) Government PSA for Savings Bonds
Kook’s Tour Outtakes (Dec 7, 1969) Unseen color outtakes from their final film!
Joe DeRita Interview (1976) Sound home movie footage with historian Randy Skretvedt
The Funniest Guys in The World – Documentary Outtake Reel (1983) Director Mark Gilman’s interview outtakes and workprint featuring Ted Healy’s replacement stooges Paul “Mousie” Garner, Jack Wolf & Dick Hakins, Stooges co-star Emil Sitka, director Jules White, director Edward Bernds, writer Elwood Ullman, actors Paul Winchell, Frank Mitchell, Jock Mahoney, Julie Gibson and more!
Mousie Garner - Mousie performs his stage act live at the Three Stooges Convention in Trevose, PA (1994)

Disc 3
Commercial Stooges:
Instant Simonize (March 15, 1960)
Don Lamond spot – KTTV TV-11 Los Angeles (1961)
Mr. Poplolly – Cartoonerville Trolley promo – WJZ TV-13 Baltimore (circa 1961)
Dickie’s Work Clothes (March 31, 1969) 60 second spot
Dickie’s Work Clothes (March 31, 1969) 30 second spot
Stroke of Luck Book (Nov 1, 1973) 60 second commercial featuring Larry Fine
Three Stooges Tee-Shirt (June 1, 1974) surviving fragment – featuring Larry Fine

Movie Trailers and Coming Attractions
Turn Back the Clock (Aug 25, 1933)
Dancing Lady (Nov 24, 1933)
Hollywood Party (May 24, 1934)
Time Out for Rhythm (June 5, 1941)
Gold Raiders (Sept 14, 1951)
The Three Stooges Laff-A-Rama (1950s)
Have Rocket, Will Travel (Aug 1, 1959)
Three Stooges Fun-O-Rama (Sep 1, 1959)
Stop! Look! And Laugh! (July 27, 1960)
Snow White and The Three Stooges 1 – B&W (June 12, 1961)
Snow White and The Three Stooges 2 – Color (June 12, 1961)
The Three Stooges Meet Hercules 1 (Jan 26, 1962)
The Three Stooges Meet Hercules 2 (Jan 26, 1962)
The Three Stooges in Orbit (July 4, 1962)
The Three Stooges Go Around the World in A Daze (August 21, 1963)
4 for Texas (Dec 25, 1963) – Color, Widescreen
The Outlaws Is Coming (Jan 14, 1965)
The Outlaws Is Coming radio trailer (Jan 14, 1965)

Archival Audio:
Fiddler’s Three – Ultra rare recording of Moe, Larry & Shemp’s song rehearsal, from Moe Howard’s personal 78RPM (1948)
WBAL-AM Baltimore – Brent Gunts interviews Moe, Larry, and Shemp (April 6, 1950)
WERS-FM Boston, Audio 66 – Ron Barry, aka Ron Klugman, interviews Moe Howard (Nov 30, 1964)
HEADSHOP – KBSC-TV 52, Los Angeles, Moe Howard with Elliot Mintz – audio excerpts of lost video interview (Jan 27, 1972)
WOHO-AM Toledo – Ken R. Deutsch with Moe Howard (November 1972)
WVSC Radio – Moe Howard at Salem College in Salem, West Virginia (March 2, 1973)
Larry Fine interview at Illinois State University, Bloomington, Illinois (circa 1973-74)
Larry Fine Q&A with Jeff and Greg Lenburg at Loara High School. Anaheim, CA (March 2, 1974)
Moe Howard at State University of New York, Buffalo (September 24, 1974)
WFAA-AM Dallas – Ed Busch with Moe Howard & Larry Fine (May 1975 replay of Sept 27, 1974 broadcast)
Rich Gallo calls Stooge’s director Ed Bernds (circa 1985)
Rich Gallo calls Joe Besser (1987)
Rich Gallo Visits Actor Emil Sitka (April 1987 – August 1988) Rare audio and video footage
Chris Seguin interviews Moe’s daughter Joan Howard Maurer (May 26, 2009) – Surviving excerpts

BONUS FEATURES:
No Census, No Feeling – Modern short subject featuring comedians Shwartzy and Pagana, and Curly G
Curly G Meets Shemp’s great granddaughter Chandler Isaac
*Much of the material here is new to home video. Any content which may be available in other home video releases is included here in either upgraded / or more complete versions.

Offline falsealarms

Metaldams, what are you looking forward to the most on this set?

Offline metaldams

Metaldams, what are you looking forward to the most on this set?

Believe it or not - I’ve never seen the doc.

Also looking forward to the vintage Moe and Larry talks and the Shemp short.  It should be a cool set.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lupe The Wolfman

I was disappointed the newest Journal didn’t report on this Blu Ray. It’s something I’m really looking forward to. I’m very interested in learning the source for some of the rarer films and how they were located. Is anything being planned for the next issue?

Offline garystooge

I was disappointed the newest Journal didn’t report on this Blu Ray. It’s something I’m really looking forward to. I’m very interested in learning the source for some of the rarer films and how they were located. Is anything being planned for the next issue?

The Journal did not receive the info about this release in time for its press deadline. It will be reported on in the next issue, but all the info has already been posted above.
Gary

Offline metaldams

Sooooo……did anyone else get this?  My copy arrived today and I watched the entire first disc.

Crazy to think I never saw that documentary until today.  I was 15 when it came out and wasn’t following the Stooges as a teen.  I also just never got around to seeing it until now.  Very good documentary.  I loved hearing from Gary, Mousie and all the various cast and  family members.  Feel bad for Curly’s daughter Janie that she never got to know her Dad and loved hearing from Larry’s sister Lyla about the almost daughter like relationship she had with everyone.

Hearing from Ted Healy’s son was great too.  He made a comment, and I’m paraphrasing, but something to the effect of how Ted Healy changed comedy because he was a comic who reacted to other comedians instead of being solo acts like Lloyd and Chaplin.  Now I’m far from a Vaudeville historian, but in terms of film, he may have a point.  Even thinking of Laurel and Hardy and how film wise, they definitely preceded Healy and the Stooges.  However, on stage and as a professional act, Healy and The Stooges predated Laurel and Hardy.  Stan Laurel was also certainly aware of Healy and the Stooges as he directed Ted Healy in a short before Laurel and Hardy existed so who knows.  Maybe an influence?  Maybe not?  I’m just thinking out loud.

Anyway, a cool set so far and I’m looking forward to diving into the other discs.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Sooooo……did anyone else get this?  My copy arrived today and I watched the entire first disc.

Crazy to think I never saw that documentary until today.  I was 15 when it came out and wasn’t following the Stooges as a teen.  I also just never got around to seeing it until now.  Very good documentary.  I loved hearing from Gary, Mousie and all the various cast and  family members.  Feel bad for Curly’s daughter Janie that she never got to know her Dad and loved hearing from Larry’s sister Lyla about the almost daughter like relationship she had with everyone.

Hearing from Ted Healy’s son was great too.  He made a comment, and I’m paraphrasing, but something to the effect of how Ted Healy changed comedy because he was a comic who reacted to other comedians instead of being solo acts like Lloyd and Chaplin.  Now I’m far from a Vaudeville historian, but in terms of film, he may have a point.  Even thinking of Laurel and Hardy and how film wise, they definitely preceded Healy and the Stooges.  However, on stage and as a professional act, Healy and The Stooges predated Laurel and Hardy.  Stan Laurel was also certainly aware of Healy and the Stooges as he directed Ted Healy in a short before Laurel and Hardy existed so who knows.  Maybe an influence?  Maybe not?  I’m just thinking out loud.

Anyway, a cool set so far and I’m looking forward to diving into the other discs.

Mine came on Monday, but I'm on vacation and haven't had a ton of time to delve into it. Most of the better stuff, to me, is on discs 2 and 3. I've watched a few things though -

EVERYBODY LIKES MUSIC, the Shemp short, was a mixed bag. Shemp was great, as was the unidentified actor he shared a few scenes with. Some good bits with liquor. The songs weren't my cup of tea but not bad. The biggest knock on the short was the story just wasn't too interesting. Still thrilled to have it.

The audio of Moe's September 1974 Buffalo appearance, his last known public outing, was great. Nothing much will be learned, and he got some facts wrong, but still great to hear after all these years. There's a great rendition of the Alphabet Song towards the end. He also sounds choked up talking about Curly a couple times. This outing was just 3 days before the radio interview on here from WFAA on 9/27/74.

Looking forward to getting into the rest.