Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Hooks and Jabs (1933) - Harry Langdon

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

HOOKS AND JABS should seem familiar in spots to...YES!  You're right, BOOBS IN THE WOOD!

Harry is a tramp who gets arrested for petty theft and released.  He borrows money and loses the money in an extremely dishonest and dissatisfying way that I won't spoil, but it leads to one of those things that Harry is the best at: silent style pantomime in a talkie.

The boxing scene is fantastic and leads to a scene ripped out of the aforementioned film where people think Harry is a tough guy.  The clincher is even very similar.  It's another tough one to review just because, in spite of its excellence, everything is done better elsewhere.

The coolest thing about this film, though, is that it was co-authored by Vernon Dent himself!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Another good short. Yeah, there are some elements of BOOBS IN THE WOOD in the second half, but it’s enough of a difference that I think it can stand on its own. One thing I found really funny was the variation they did on Langdon’s small punch. As usual, he does the punch to really no effect, but he eventually realizes this and tries to punch even harder. And yet, with all the strength he builds up, all he can still manage is that small punch! Other highlights include the checkers match he does with Vernon and Langdon helping the one boxer out with his fake fight; Langdon just completely makes up an invisible opponent for the guy to fight, and I find it hilarious that the guy goes along with it until Harry rules against him. In general, this is an interesting one, not only because Vernon co-wrote it, but even sings in it (I assume that’s him singing; I know he was supposed to have a really good singing voice). Another fun time with Harry on this short.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Vernon sings!  Interesting that this short is a Langdon/Dent film, even in the billing.  Vernon proves he can sing like Ollie, but the two are never really a team all the same.  They’re rivals.  Fun to watch rivals, but still rivals.  Never quite played like Stan and Ollie and I have a feeling if they really tried, the two could have genuinely worked as a team.  Anyway, Vernon sings!

I do see the BOOBS IN THE WOOD comparisons, also a tad bit of THE STRONG MAN as well when you take the idea of the religious people going against the rowdy drunks at the bar.  Not quite as strong a story this time around (I mean, it is legit property of the bar owner this time and they ain’t trying to spoil Mary Brown here), but I can see the resemblance in a condensed level.  But really, Harry is the important thing here and they made a story and gags that suits his character.  From the very beginning he’s dopey throughout and the pie stuff is really charming.  The accidental victories in the boxing ring suit Langdon to a tee and it’s a pleasure to see him play beer checkers and order a glass of milk.  No sour milk like The Three Stooges would order, oh no.  Langdon goes to a bar and orders the good stuff.

So yes, another good short that shows Langdon adjusting his character very well to sound.  The other Educational short that shows up on the Langdon LOST AND FOUND set and in case I forgot to type it before - Vernon sings!
- Doug Sarnecky