Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Abbott and Costello Show - Season 1, Ep. 6 - Alaska (1953)

Offline metaldams

Episode six is upon us, called ALASKA.  Bud and Lou never do make it to Alaska, at least on screen, but the planning for the trip and the adventure to get there provides the comedy.  The opening stage banter is not that memorable comedically, but it does have a 19 year old Rita Moreno (though there was a thread on here recently debating if it was her). West Side Story ain’t in my wheelhouse, but Ms. Moreno (if it’s her, I read online sources that say affirmative), obviously found fame much greater than this appearance and she’s cute here.  So yeah, the opening scene is memorable for the trivia.

Anywho, we get two main centerpieces in this episode.  The first is the invisible bartender scene.  I have to say, comedians doing invisible things has never been one of my favorite bits - think the invisible eating scenes in OLIVER THE EIGHTH and HALF-WITS HOLIDAY of being examples.  That said, of this type of Thing, Bud, Lou and Murray Leonard perform the best version of it.  Just the wild reactions to everything suits the team well and Murray Leonard really does a great job being comically dramatic.  Again, gotta respect anybody who can make Bud and Lou their straight men for a moment.  Speaking of which, when Murray leaves, Lou plays the straight man for Bud for once and Bud goes crazy with the invisible bartender.  Then when Bud leaves, Lou goes nuts, though we ran out of straight men at this point.  Still, a nice bit that gives each of the three men a moment to shine, I approve.

The other big bit is the ending bit where they do some routines in that living room.  Truly, and this being contemporary to what I’m about to say, this reminds me of an early fifties Shemp short.  Just some comedians getting into hi-jinx in a small living room.  The Epsom salts for cement bit where Bud’s foot gets caught in the pan is even like LOVE AT FIRST BITE.  Nice watching Sid and Mike the Cop get in on the action and I really enjoy this type of comedy.  I don’t know why I think the post World War II American living room works for comedy, yet for me, it does.

So yeah, like all of these episodes, entertaining overall, if not quite as much of a stand out as Lou’s Birthday episode.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

This is one I’d be interested in learning the production dates for, since Bud’s mustache comes and goes throughout (yes, they do explain it in one scene, but then it disappears when they return to see Field and suddenly reappears at the end). I remember there was a thread discussing how production went a lot further back than expected, so I’m curious as to whether there was a multiple month gap between these scenes.

But anyway, on to the episode itself. It’s good, not quite as good as the previous two, though. I agree that the opening stage act isn’t particularly special and although I do like their disguise for leaving the bank, it doesn’t really pick up comedically until the invisible routine. It’s essentially a variation on a routine from LOST IN A HAREM, and they even got Murray Leonard back to perform it with them, so that’s cool. I do kind of prefer the movie version; I remember it being a bit better paced, but there’s also enough different about this version that it’s still worth seeking out. The lighting’s obviously better, and it is funny seeing all three of them go crazy subsequently with the fake murder (I don’t recall that twist being in the LOST IN A HAREM version, but I may just have forgotten).

They then do wordplay with mining terminology which is decent and then go into a Stoogesque routine where they have to get Bud’s legs out of cement. As is often the case, Sid Field is the highlight here. I love how he keeps bragging about his 4 years of engineering college while simultaneously seeming to show no scientific logic, especially with his whole attempt to leverage Costello out of the hole. Mike the Cop eventually gets in on the action, which I also like. It’s fun seeing these guys just randomly pile on to try to help while continually making the situation more elaborate.

So, like I said before, a good episode; there really haven’t been any bad episodes so far and it sounds like it will probably stay that way.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

This episode definitely gave me the most laughs so far, particularly the bank scene and the living room scene. "I'm going to get you a loan in the bank" which Lou mistakes as alone. Lou is confused why he wants to be alone with him in the bank. I also really liked when Bud says "can't you see he has a gag in his mouth?" and then Lou answers "if he does, he never got a chance to tell it." Also Hillary thinking they have a job and gives it to Bud. I definitely believe that Bud was going to steal that money for himself. Then they have the part where they escape and act like Lou is injured.

I didn't care as much for the invisible scene, aside from the sound effects when Lou is sweeping the floor, so ridiculous it was funny. My favorite scene was the ending in the living room, which was hardest I've laughed so far in an episode. The gold ore wordplay, the part where Lou thinks Bud is saying the gold is in people's vains "is that why your legs are so long?". The part in concrete really reminded me of The Three Stooges, I liked when Mr. Fields thinks whonks Lou Costello on the head by accident, knocking him out and then just thinking he decided to go to sleep. When he pulls on his tie to get him out and chokes him and Lou asks "what are you trying to do hang me" and Fields responds with "don't get excited, I'm an engineer you know" brought another good laugh, along with the reveal that he was not stuck at all. When Mike comes along and hits his dead when he goes up, it even has the sound effect of a Columbia short!

It oddly ends with a blackface gag, which I was not expecting, because I assumed that was already out of style by the 1950s. Other than that, that I liked the living room segment.

Offline NoahYoung

I'll get around to watching this one again soon, but regarding the title: As in a few of their pictures, the title is click-bait. Granted, there is no on-screen title -- the titles of the episodes were merely for book-keeping during production.

I heard that that whole mustache thing was a result of shooting out-of-sequence, since Bud had grown one and pretty much kept it throughout the rest of their pictures except for DANCE WITH ME, HENRY. What never made sense to me was this:  if he didn't want to shave it off to match existing footage, then how did they shoot a scene where he is clean shaven then puts on a fake one?
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline metaldams

I just give the shorts a title in the reviews based on what my DVD and YouTube videos say for identification purposes.  You’re right, there are no official on screen titles.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

I just give the shorts a title in the reviews based on what my DVD and YouTube videos say for identification purposes.  You’re right, there are no official on screen titles.

Yea, I know. I didn't mean that your title of the thread was click-bait -- what I meant, and should have said, as I did in the A&C KILLER thread, is that the title of this episode, like some of the Universal movies, is a sort-of pre-cursor to today's click-bait.

I wonder if TV Guide back in the 50s listed the episode names?  I know by the 70s they did not. I don't recall if they ever gave descriptions.  I do remember them listing it just as "Abbott and Costello" very often.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz