Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Abbott and Costello Show, Season 1, Ep. 5 - Lou’s Birthday Party

Offline metaldams

THE BIRTHDAY PARTY has always been one of my favorite Abbott and Costello episodes.  The plot is pretty simple - Lou has a birthday and things go downhill like a train wreck that builds and builds.  You just can’t take your eyes off it.  The whole episode focuses on this premise, even the opening bit builds to the idea it’s Lou’s birthday instead of doing one of their verbal routines.

The first great bit is Lou inviting Sid Fields to his birthday party.  A total masterpiece of a scene.  The way I talk about silent comedians milking gags is done the same way here except it is a verbal premise that is milked.  The verbal premise is no matter what Lou says, Sid gets offended by it.  Some examples?  Lou offers to feed Sid’s kids first at the party.  Sid interprets this as his kids being used as Guinea pigs in case the food is poisoned.  Lou insists the kids are not Guinea pigs.  So how does Sid interpret that?  He supposes Lou just thinks they are plain pigs.  No matter what Lou says, Sid twists it as an insult and this just goes on and on and on and on.  Brilliance.  It’s funny because for once, Lou is basically the straight man while Sid just goes crazy.  Classic scene.

So Lou goes through that dilemma with his landlord.  Now the party itself arrives.  I love watching all the various guests interact with Lou and all the various gifts they bring, giving each character at the party some individual personality.  Lou’s day just gets worse as he unintentionally poisons his guests with the food he feeds them.  He tries to put antipasto on crackers.  Instead, by accident, he puts ant paste.  Each guest gets sick and berates Lou.  Bud, for all practical purposes, disowns Lou.  Lou gets thrown out of town by Mike the Cop.  Things are getting low.

Lou is now outdoors, and confusion reigns, just making his day even worse.  He helps an old lady cross the street - who didn’t want to cross the street.  She complains to Mike the Cop who again tells Lou to leave town.  He gets knocked around and while on the ground a lady gives Lou change.  Mike the Cop then thinks Lou is begging.  Poor Lou then groggily crosses the street and barely misses getting hit by cars.  While on the sidewalk again, Stinky runs into Lou on his bike and he gets yelled at by Stinky and several strangers.  Lou just can’t have anything go his way.

Finally, Lou seeks salvation with a birthday cake.  He sees Bacciagalupe’s cake shop and orders a cake for himself because why not?  After the day he’s having, Lou deserves it. After a comically confusing exchange about Bacciagalupe “kneading the dough,” Lou’s frustration really boils over.  Then when Bacciagalupe makes the cake, there’s always that minor little detail missing, causing Bacciagalupe to have to make the cake for a picky Lou, the frustration in the short building more and more.  When Lou finally gets the cake he wants and says he’ll eat it in the store, Bacciagalupe slams Lou’s face in the cake.

This episode is simply a wonderful comedy of frustration and embarrassment.  Lou’s day just gets worse all the time and the results are entertaining to say the least.  One of my favorite episodes for sure.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

A showcase for Lou Costello, as it is all about his birthday party and the fallout that happens. I think it's also the best case of pathos for Lou Costello, along with Little Giant. It does feel like it has a more common thread throughout the episode because of that.

Now for the routines, I like the interaction with Sid Fields the best. He takes every single statement as an insult! I thought it was funny when Lou told him he could come to his party without bringing a gift, and he got offended by that remark because thought Lou was calling him a tramp. As for the birthday party, it was funnily enough, a point where Bud actually had a valid reason to complain to Lou. Usually there are misunderstandings and Bud thinks Lou is doing something he's not, or trying to scam him. Here, Lou feeds his guests ant paste and get them sick! Though you do feel bad for him when he's on the streets by himself and is getting into trouble.

I like the part with the birthday cake, Lou keeps having him edit his cake! Brilliant and this time it's not Lou being frustrated. When he said he was going to add Lou's signature, I know what he really meant and was not disappointed.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Another good episode and one I probably saw a long time ago, as I vaguely remember that bit with Besser running into Lou. As usual, Sid Fields is wonderful. That whole routine with him getting more and more offended is very expertly timed; apparently he himself was part of a comedy team back in burlesque, so I imagine that probably gave him an advantage when it came to having to do fast verbal routines. And I also love how over-the-top he looks at the party; Costello is so shocked by his dress combined with the goofy grin, he just slams the door on him. The actual party scene itself is interesting as a set-up of sorts; for once, people who normally are mean to him (except Hillary) are finally nice to him and, Lou being Lou, he has to go and ruin that too. The second half is mostly Lou’s low point, which, as you’d expect, involves misunderstanding after misunderstanding. Definitely some sadness in there, but at the same time, you can’t help but laugh at some of these misunderstandings; an old lady who hits him with an umbrella and blames him for breaking it, a guy defending Besser...things get pretty crazy. It’s all topped off with the cake scene featuring Mr. Bacciagalupe. It’s a very funny way to end the episode, especially since, unlike the misunderstandings that directly preceded it, the frustration here is entirely Lou’s fault. He literally did not tell Bacciagalupe that he wanted any of this stuff beforehand and Bacciagalupe even points this out to him, so while you can still sympathize with Lou, you can also sympathize with Bacciagalupe. And at the end of the day, Bud and Lou are back together on stage, so, at the very least, the audience knows Bud and Lou will stay together for more episodes. Funny episode with just the right amount of laughs and pathos.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com