Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Love (1919) - Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle

Offline metaldams

Several years back we discussed all the surviving Arbuckle/Keaton collaborations.  Those were made after Arbuckle left Sennett and were done at his own Comique Studios, distributed by Paramount.  While the majority of the shorts Arbuckle made at Comique were indeed with Keaton, there are a handful without Keaton, mainly due to the fact Keaton was away in Europe during World War I.  The lack of Keaton means there was less interest for Raymond Rohauer to preserve the non Keaton Comiques, so several don’t survive.  1919’s LOVE, fortunately, is still with us and is the subject of this week’s review.

LOVE is a fine short that sees Arbuckle mixing drama and slapstick comedy, which on the surface, you’d think would be a natural segue into features for him (how Arbuckle’s features actually played out are for perhaps a future review).  Nonetheless, the story aspect involves Arbuckle and Al St. John in love with the same girl.  However, the girl’s father wants his daughter to marry Al because of a property arrangement.  The plot revolves around Arbuckle trying to stop the marriage and get the girl and without giving the ending away, let’s just say there is a very clever resolution towards the end.  It advances the plot and is clever and comic at the same time.  There is also a dramatic scene in the middle between Arbuckle and his girl that plays genuine and well, so Arbuckle is showing signs of maturity here.

I said signs of maturity, let’s not say fully mature - and I wouldn’t want it any other way.  Yes, there are some fine comic bits here.  The opening well bit is a comic tour de force that is milked for a good five minutes.  Al St. John, Monty Banks (a silent comic in his own right who would later direct Laurel and Hardy in GREAT GUNS), and Frank Hayes take various solo and combination turns falling down this long well.  The falls are long enough where we see inside the well, comics screaming, praying, scratching at the side - all really entertaining stuff.  My favorite part is when the handle is moving with a comic falling.  In order to stop the fall, Arbuckle takes a bent over Monty Banks and uses Banks’s backside to stop the momentum of the handle on the side.

The other big comic bit involves the leading ladies head caught in a window hanging from the second floor of the house.  This is caused as Arbuckle tries to elope with her.  The ladder breaks, Arbuckle falls through the first fall window projecting a character from the inside of the house to fall out the window and land outdoors.  They also do the broom gag where three comics take turns hitting each other on the backside.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t that a Three Keatons stage bit?      The only part of this short I don’t care for is Arbuckle making fun of Kate Price’s weight, which I always thought was crass and tasteless.  Beyond that, LOVE is just the right combination of story, memorable gags and good characters.  Recommended.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
LOVE wasn't really that bad of a short at all.  It appears that every Roscoe Arbuckle Comique production must revolve around Roscoe and Al St. John acting like two 9 year-olds while trying to win the affections of a girl who isn't much more mature than they are.  This dynamic, however, is why makes these shorts unique and memorable.

Let's address the elephant in the room: the jokes picking on Kate Price's weight were way out of line and crass.  They also failed worse when considering that Roscoe in reality is fatter than Kate Price is with all that padding in her shirt!  Both Kate and her brother Jack Duffy appeared in Buster Keaton's shorts.

The majority of the short features slam-bang comedy in a row from start to finish with all the usual Roscoe Arbuckle tropes, like Al riding the big bicycle.  There are so many moments that make you laugh in this one, but the highlight for me is when Roscoe comes flying through the window.

These shorts can be an acquired taste, but they are certainly enjoyable for 20 minutes of entertainment.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Yes, the fat jokes against Kate Price are awful, and making it even worse is how they set it up with Price feeling pity for Arbuckle when he brings up the subject of his own weight. She was just trying to be helpful and he treated her terribly. Other than that, though, this was a fun short. A good portion of it revolves around the gags with people falling down the well, and it is funny seeing everyone kind of pile up in there before finally Arbuckle gives up and breaks for lunch. The window gag is very extravagant and one of those great sight gags where if you blink, you’ll miss how it gets even more extravagant. My favorite part is with the brooms. It’s funny because Monty Banks’s character didn’t mean any malicious intent with starting the fight. Heck, the second time he hits Arbuckle, he was actually trying to hit the other side of the towel to avoid hitting Arbuckle...it just happened that Arbuckle decided to move to that spot. It’s one of those misunderstandings that descends into absolute chaos, and it’s a funny sight seeing them going around in circles hitting each other with brooms. The second half is more exposition than great humor, but the way Arbuckle sets up the reveal at the wedding is clever and it reaches a satisfying conclusion. A good short overall. Here’s a question from someone not overly familiar with the non-Keaton Arbuckles. Does Banks only appear in this short, or did he do multiple? His role felt like it very well could have been played by Keaton and if he was in multiple, I have wonder if he was brought in specifically for the purpose of filling Keaton’s spot during his war service?
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

I would guess that yes, Monty Banks was probably considered a Keaton substitute.  He did show up in a few of these Comiques when Keaton was gone and eventually had a career doing crazy stunt comedy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I think Roscoe Arbuckle's comedies were just fine without Keaton, judging from this short. His character is charming, and the woman lead is also pretty likeable. You want to see them succeed in the end. I had no issues with the story as it was easy to follow along with.

There were three main comic setpieces that stood out for me. The first was the one in the well. It lasted quite a bit, but I never got sick of it and it was funny seeing all the ways the characters kept falling down the well. My favorite part was when Al's character flew off his wheel and into the well, actually just seeing Al cycling there was a funny visual. He was always fun in these Comique comedies. The second was when Winnie got stuck in the window. Her reactions are funny, and it was hilarious seeing the others falling down the roof like Jackie Chan with their rope. I wonder how they did that stunt, for somebody like me who has a fear of heights that would be pretty terrifying. Lastly, and probably my favorite part of the short, was with the broomsticks and the characters hitting each other. It reminds me of a Tom and Jerry cartoon where Tom, Jerry and Spike are smacking each other around.