Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Abbott and Costello Show, Season 1, Ep. 4 - The Vacation

Offline metaldams

Episode 4 of season 1 is THE VACATION and, like pretty much all of these episodes, focuses on the comedy versus the other extracurricular things you would find in the features.  One thing I really like about this episode is that it features a lot of Bud Abbott.  Some of the other episodes feature a lot of Lou solo scenes or scenes with Lou and Sid Fields and while those are all entertaining scenes (especially Sid Fields, who does have genuine chemistry with Lou), it really is great to see Bud and Lou do a lot of work together on this one.

The work starts on the great opening stage banter bit with the I-Drive/U-Drive bit.  While the subject matter may not be as timeless as “Who’s on First,” there’s no doubt the rhythm and chemistry between Bud and Lou are in full force here.  A really fine opening bit, perhaps the best one yet.

We also get the unpacking scene which has always been one of my favorites.  You know, the bit where Lou is packing for a vacation and Bud goes on one of his rants where he’s changing his mind every two seconds about the vacation and Lou changes the direction of his packing to keep up with him.  I have to admit as much as I like the scene here, it was done better in HIT THE ICE.  Lou just had more energy ten years before.  Then again, as a whole this episode is more to the point and comedic than that feature, so there’s some give and take.

I love the Hillary scene.  I think this is the scene that used her best so far.  That real innocent love scene between the two works so well and I love the way she refers to Lou as “Louis.”  Heck, everybody calls me Doug and not Douglas but I just may make an exception for Hillary Brooke.  The gag where Lou has to keep putting down all the luggage after every little thing she says is great to, especially after the milk part.  Lou almost expresses annoyance and the realizes it’s Hillary.

What else?  The car gag is another great comic bit between Bud and Lou.  Great physical comedy with the car itself and excuse for Bud to yell at Lou constantly, always a funny thing.  The angry boyfriend who has the pictures of his girlfriend and Lou together is played by none other than Glenn Strange.  A three time Frankenstein monster, including in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.  Great to see him and I love Mike the Cop’s reaction to Strange about to pummel Lou.  Notice instead of questioning Strange as to why he’s about to get violent, he questions Lou as to what would cause Strange to get violent.  Mike really doesn’t like Lou.  So yes, another fine episode.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Really good episode, probably my favorite so far. You’re right, Abbott definitely feels like he has a lot more presence in this episode compared to the previous three, and I think it works in the episode’s favor. The “I-Drive”/“You Drive” routine was fantastic; a really good routine in the same area as “Who’s on First?” that really takes advantage of the duo’s skills as a verbal team. The scenes at the store are a good chance for Costello to focus on some solo work, mostly just him working with random props like a baseball or a boat and getting a chance to get on Abbott’s bad side any chance he gets. The story of the alligator and his brother-in-law also has a hilarious payoff.

I also really liked the bit with Costello and Mike the Cop playing that geography game. I just found it so funny how excited Mike gets to play a game with his self-professed worst enemy. In just about any other show, that would seem too bizarre, but considering this is a show where plot is virtually non-existent, they can get away with that. The packing/unpacking routine was also hilarious, and I’m actually going to disagree and say I prefer this version to the one in HIT THE ICE. The way Costello continues the craziness even after the routine is technically over sells it for me; I love how he’s just stumbling around trying to grab everything, just so out of touch with reality thanks to Abbott’s constant indecisiveness. I agree regarding this being the best use of Hilary so far (although the library routine from the first episode comes close). Costello keeps having to drop the luggage for her, but it’s clear she means no harm by it. It’s made even funnier when Sid Fields essentially trolls Costello by doing the same thing. That final gag with the hotel also made me laugh way harder than it probably should have. I was not expecting that reveal and the bickering it led to was fantastic.

Every joke landed here; this is a perfect representation of the best elements of this series.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline NoahYoung

I need to start watching the episodes again and catch-up, but in the mean-time...

They did a variation of pack/unpack in THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH, where it is dress/undress and is just as funny.

In HIT THE ICE, director Charles Lamont claimed he used 7 cameras to film the routine. I highly doubt it. He places Bud and Lou too far apart, so the two-shots are too wide to show the action. Director Jean Yarbough, on the other hand, in this episode, places Lou downstage and Bud upstage, allowing the widest shot to show both of them, and catch all of Lou's facial expressions.

Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline HomokHarcos

These episodes are so fun that you don't even realize there are no plots. The opening scene is fantastic, which is says a lot about their chemistry and performance because I was just as confused as Lou was. I'm not a driver (always took the city bus) so I didn't know the terms U-drive and I-drive. I actually preferred the packing/unpacking scene here, because I think Bud has a very valid reason for doubting whether they should leave or not. Knowing that they often miss rent payment and that their landlord is not happy about it, I think there's a legitimate reason for thinking he might kick them out and get a new tenant in the time they are gone. On the other hand, they did plan a vacation to Phoenix and I get that they want to go there.

I liked Lou's shenanigans in the store, playing with the baseball glove and ball and also with the gun. He really does seem like a child that is goofing around looking for fun. It's funny hearing the others scold him for playing with a gun, knowing how dangerous it is. I didn't know that was Glenn Strange playing that guy, I wouldn't have guessed it. I was also not expecting that final reveal, with Lou thinking Bud meant a completely different place.