Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Rare Print of "Kook's Tour" on Ebay!

· 6 · 3626

Curley91

Hello all,

I was just looking on EBAY, and I came accross an extremely rare print of "Kook's Tour". It is the last print known to exist! 8) Too bad it costs $1,950.00!

Here's the link to it

http://cgi.ebay.com/KOOKS-TOUR-The-Three-Stooges-last-ULTRARARE-film-w-NR_W0QQitemZ6429902498QQcategoryZ63821QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I was just looking on EBAY, and I came accross an extremely rare print of "Kook's Tour". It is the last print known to exist!

The eBay auction is for an 8mm print.

Released in the '70s by a company called Niles, Super 8mm Sound prints of KOOK'S TOUR are common.  Good condition Niles prints run a couple hundred $ on the collector market; higher, if they're still in the original celophane wrapping.

The video released on VHS by Anchor Bay in 1999 (on DVD in 2001) was transferred from a Niles 8mm print... specifically, one provided by Paul Gierucki, co-producer of THE THREE STOOGES: THE MEN BEHIND THE MAYHEM, the 1994 A&E "Biography" recently released on DVD by Macinac Home Video, under the same title.  Mr. Gierucki is credited on the home video for providing the print.

"The last known print to exist?"  I might have some top-of-the-market Gulf Coast real estate I'd like to sell, if you're interested.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 11:36:10 PM by BeAStooge »

Offline Laughsmith

I saw this auction too and had to shake my head.  In actuality, the print once belonged
to Andy Coryell -- it was he who generously made it available to C3 for the DVD release. 

Seems that Andy sold the film earlier this year for the princely sum of $200 dollars. The subsequent buyer fabricated all of the nonsense about it being the lone surviving print,
slapped a laughable pricetag on it and posted it on eBay.  This REALLY ticked Andy off
and at last check he was going to get in touch with the seller and straighten him out.

I have just learned that the auction has ended -- so I suspect that he made his point.

-- Paul E. Gierucki

Offline Film King

Kook's Tour is not "common." That is laughable. There ARE ONLY a few super 8 prints in existence. Period.
Also, it was released by Maurer to Niles Films AND Blackhawk Films. The film hardly sold and Maurer pulled it.
There are NO 16mm prints in existence as well. They were not released, they were owned by Norman Maurer and NONE have ever been found.
But to indicate this rare film with less existing prints than you can count with one hand, is "common" caused us to burst out laughing.
No one believes it is "common."
It is one of the rarest of films, struck directly from the original 16mm to super 8 magnetic sound.
Again, only a small few exist.
If it was "common" they'd all be selling it on eBay. Correct? Ha Ha Ha.....

Offline Mark The Shark

"Kook's Tour" was still being offered in Super 8 sound by the early 1980s -- that's when I got mine. But by then it was being sold as a black and white cut-down on a 400 foot reel. This is the version I have. I don't know if it's considered "rare" or "more rare" than the longer version, but I can't imagine it's being chased by collectors.

Mine has the same cover as the original but in the lower corner where it said "Super 8 sound color," there is a sticker over it that says "Sound Super 8."

My question is, why on earth did they release an edited black and white version?