Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

An Eastern Westerner (1920) - Harold Lloyd

Offline metaldams

AN EASTERN WESTERNER is the sixth of thirteen two and three reel shorts Harold Lloyd made with the glasses character and first made 100% after the accident.  It is a fantastic short overall and a case where there is just enough of a story, but no so much where it takes away from the gags and overall comedy, which there is plenty of.
The basic plot is Harold is a man about town in the early jazz age prohibition twenties.  He comes home late one night, so his father sends him out west to become a man.  While out west, Harold meets Mildred and is out to impress her.  The bully of the town, played by Noah Young (not the poster on this board, the other one), wants Mildred to marry him and even locks up her father until she says yes, bringing to mind The Three Stooges in THE THREE TROUBLEDOERS.

The night club scene at the beginning is very much the look of jazz age America I was referring to and to bring the point home further, the main gag in this scene involves shimmy dancing.  There is a sign on the wall prohibiting this dance, but Harold does it anyway.  After being warned not to do it or he’ll be thrown out, he does it through well thought comic circumstance - his back towards a much larger man shimmying and having ice cream from above fall down his neck, causing him to shiver.  All this leads to an entertaining altercation where he avoids being thrown out, all ending in a fire hydrant dousing all the patrons. 

The west itself looks fantastic and there are again tons of gags I could go on all day listing.  The carriage gag where Harold is sitting on a bench and the carriage gets away without him is a great example of pure film comedy.  The camera has to be exactly at the right angle for the gag to work.  The gags where Harold has to impress Mildred that he’s a real cowboy are well thought out.  There’s the tire as rope gag and the gag where Harold has to mount a horse by jumping out a window.  Of course, after all this wonderful build up of Harold delaying the jump to get more steam, the horse runs away and Harold takes a big fall.  There is also a card game that involves Harold disguising himself at one point to mix drinks and look over the shoulder of his opponents to see what cards they have - again very Three Stooges like.

The chase finale is excellent as well.  The minions chasing Harold wear white masks that sort of resemble the KKK.  The print I am linking for you guys has a Carl Davis score - my favorite silent film composer - who uses Wagner just like they do in THE BIRTH OF A NATION - so that hammers the point home for me.  So many cool parts, including Harold hiding in the laundry on the clothesline, doing a flip on a horseshoe to avoid the enemies, falling in a barrel that breaks around a bunch of the enemies and my favorite, the mirror gag, which I think is so clever and again, a very film based gag.  The camera, the set up of Harold and the man chasing him all have to be placed perfectly.

Another fine Harold Lloyd short and looking at what’s ahead, I’m having trouble finding any stinkers.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

When it came to shorts, Harold Lloyd could do no wrong at this point. "An Eastern Westerner" continues Harold's winning streak with plenty of inventive gags, a brisk pace, and striking use of Southern California locations. Walter Lundin was responsible for the excellent cinematography (he continued to work with Lloyd until 1934's "The Cat's-Paw"). And, yes, the Carl Davis score is a definite plus.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I'm going to go out and say that while this was an excellent film I didn't find it to be such a fantastic film overall.  There is a fantastic pace, a sequence of clever gags, and a ton of amazing cinematography.  But once Harold's in the town it's all cliché, and quite frankly I wasn't even slightly impressed by any of the supporting cast except for the bouncer and the rival.  For such a small town, that basically works out to every male over age 15 being a member of that gang to have that many members!

What I was impressed by were Harold and his athleticism.  The ingenious choreography and camera placements added life to the scenes.  The scenery was fantastic.  The plot told a complete story.  The opening scene was actually the first time I ever found Harold's character to be unlikeable like so many others, but it's so brief that it adds dimension to his personality as opposed to detracting.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

The opening is very fitting, I think more than Chaplin and Keaton Harold Lloyd played the quintessential Roaring 20s character. Him being at a speakeasy trying to dance while listening to jazz is perfectly fitting. It’s an effective way as setting him up for a fish out of water scenario when he’s in the country.

The western set and area are marvellous to look at, and judging from the backgrounds they shot it during one of the colder months of the year. We have a Lloyd as a hero vs the villain setup with Mildred as the damsel in distress. There are a few gags I like such as the poker scene and when Lloyd is using the whip pretending to be a cowboy. He could have fooled me. The chase scene was fun too, we kind of get an action movie type plot where he squares off against a bunch of henchmen.

Offline Umbrella Sam

The opening does indeed feel very fitting for Lloyd especially at this time; Lloyd gets into mishaps partly by mistake, partly his fault, and causes chaos as a result. I really like the various ways they’re able to come up with for Harold to start shimmying by mistake; it’s very clever and allows for some funny movements on Lloyd’s part.

The actual western part is fun too. I especially like the fake lasso trick Lloyd does to impress Mildred; that was something I wasn’t expecting. Overall, I get a bit of a Three Stooges vibe from a lot of the bar scenes, especially during the card game or the idea of having to get a key from someone’s coat...though in this case, Lloyd does it surprisingly fast in a very clever way, whereas the Stooges use it more as a plot device in something like OUT WEST. Both styles work; in the Stooges case, they get to milk a lot out of having Shemp join on the fake card game, whereas here, the sheer cleverness of it is very admirable.

As expected, the Western setting allows for a lot of large scale chases and stunts, something Harold obviously excelled very well at. Overall, this blends together to great a very fun short, and the presence of a Carl Davis score makes it even better.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Harold Lloyd in "An Eastern Westerner" and Keanu Reeves in "John Wick: Chapter 2" (2017)