Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Elton John Album Discussion Thread

Offline Umbrella Sam

Forgot to mention, my Aunt and her boyfriend were at the New York City show a few weeks back.

Cool, I hope they had a good time. I’ll be seeing him again this July.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

This time I took notes while listening to the songs, something I should have done before.  It’s easier to write about songs I’ve heard a million times versus songs I’m mostly not familiar with.  CARIBOU is another very enjoyable album and I can see how it was recorded quicker.  The rhythm section really stands out as there isn’t quite as much over it.  Just vocals, guitar, horns and piano.  A little more of a live feel which is to be expected when you only have nine days.  The seventies in general were crazy for bands with their touring and recording schedules - the first three KISS albums were released over a thirteen month period, for example.  Elton had a really hectic schedule, and I imagine the band had to be getting tired or would be soon at this point, not to mention the drugs.  But hey, the music is still good.  It is interesting hearing a comparatively bare album (by Elton standards, this is still way more produced than PARANOID), following up GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD.

“The Bitch is Back” is simply a good, solid, no bullshit (gotta keep the swearing up in the spirit of the song) hard rock song I really like a lot.  There’s a real cool machine gun like rhythm guitar thing going here and a real strong Elton vocal.  Cool song.

“Pinky” is nothing more than a nice, mellow relaxing song with a cool intro.  I dig it.

“Grimsby” Is a good driving rocker with some strong bass and some real interesting guitar parts throughout.

“Dixie Lilly” The harmonies here sound total Mick and Keith and the instrumental section had a seventies AOR feel to it.

“Solar Prestige a Gammon” is a fun, light and humorous song.  Perhaps the most humorous I have heard from Elton at this point.  I really enjoyed the foreign dialect vocals.

“You’re So Static” Love the little intro and again, the bass playing.  Another simple driving song with cool guitar parts.

“I’ve Seen the Saucers”. Great song!  I actually thought the guitar and bass had a very Beatles like ABBEY ROAD feel to it.  Loved the dramatic chords in between the verses and Elton’s vocals.  Really awesome.

“Stinker”. Bare bones blues number, sound like mid 70’s Stones of the same era.

“Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me” A real dramatic and beautiful build up to the chorus that’s real effective.  There’s really no mistaking which parts Carl Wilson is singing, God only knows that voice is unmistakable.  This has always been one of my favorite Elton tunes.

“Ticking”  Sometimes tough topics need to be sung about and Elton does a good job here.  Your analysis made me want to read the lyrics and I think I’ll do that with future Elton albums.  Lyrically, if not musically, reminds me of early Dylan the way the story is told and Dylan could do a social commentary or two.  This has shades of “Ballad of Hollis Brown” of a man snapping and going on a murder rampage, though in the Dylan song it was his own family he could no longer feed.  This sounds like a case where rage was building up for years and the upbringing had a big part of it.  Powerful song.

A good album overall.  Not one of the better ones so far but still quite solid.  It’s always a sign an artist is on a good run when the lesser albums of the period are still enjoyable.  I’m really looking forward to the next album.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

After a few albums where each one was better than the preceding one, I think this one is a step down from what came before. Knowing it was really rushed out, though, does make it more tolerable knowing that fact.

“The Bitch is Back” is an upbeat song with a great horns section and awesome bass playing. Definitely a sort of funk feel he had going on here. “Pinky” is a ballad that’s passable for me. Probably not a song I’d listen to by itself. “Grimsby” brings back the upbeat feeling, and it has a noticeable guitar riff playing throughout that goes through most of the song. “Dixie Lily” was a refreshing country-inspired song. I didn’t know it was supposed to be campy, I liked it at face value. “Solar Prestige A Gammon” is so-so. “You’re So Static” is quite catchy, the piano playing gives me a ragtime feel, which is always welcome.

“I’ve Seen the Saucers” has a very goofy title and lyrics, but the music itself of pretty serious and doesn’t fit the lyrics. “Stinker” is the most rocking song on the album. A song I’d recommend to the average classic rock fan. “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down in Me” has very good vocals from Elton John, I think the best on the whole album. “Ticking” was my favorite song on the album and a good closer. I really liked the piano work here, and it’s a song that could easily be played by Elton John himself.

For the singles:
“Pinball Wizard”: Was not aware of this version as I only heard The Who version. It’s got a really good piano and guitar solo section.
“Sick City”: Another great guitar and horns song. It could have easily been the A song.
“Cold Highway” is my least favorite of these B-sides, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good song by itself.
“Step into Christmas” is a fun song with a really good bass. I like the chorus for the vocals. I’ve never heard this song before.

Offline metaldams

Read the lyrics to “Ticking” again, I think it’s about sexual repression and hiding one’s sexuality. I figured there was something from childhood snapping in the guy, but yeah, I think I get it more now.  Powerful song either way.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Aiming to get the CAPTAIN FANTASTIC review in this Friday. I’m very excited, as this is an album that I think very highly of.

Offline metaldams

Aiming to get the CAPTAIN FANTASTIC review in this Friday. I’m very excited, as this is an album that I think very highly of.

I’ve heard some people call this the best Elton album.  I’m looking forward to it too.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I’m going to state right now that CAPTAIN FANTASTIC AND THE BROWN DIRT COWBOY is my absolute favorite Elton John album. It’s a special kind of album in the Elton John catalogue; as I’ve mentioned multiple times, Elton and Bernie created very cinematic songs in their careers, but what sets CAPTAIN FANTASTIC apart from the other albums is that it tells a complete story from start to finish, that story being the story of Elton John and Bernie Taupin. There really feels like there was a lot of love put into it, and not just in the songs either. I actually have the original vinyl and it’s loaded with extras: posters, early memorabilia and diary entries, there’s even a nice (somewhat fictionalized) little comic book that essentially recaps Elton’s rise to success.

What might seem shocking is that CAPTAIN FANTASTIC doesn’t tell the story up to the then-present day. Instead, it tells of that early period before Troubadour, where Elton and Bernie were struggling songwriters finding their place in the world. I think this was a perfect idea because it makes the story more relatable, and keeps us rooting for our heroes until we can finally leave them on their path to glory. This is what CAPTAIN FANTASTIC does so well; it tugs at the emotions in all the same ways as a movie can.

The first song is the title track, which introduces us to our main characters. Elton himself is Captain Fantastic, a city-life boy who at the time was part of a band called Bluesology. Bernie, meanwhile, is the Brown Dirt Cowboy, a small town kid obsessed with the American West. The two meet and are destined for greatness. I love the acoustic focus on it, it really feels like it captures that humble background that they both came from, and the more uptempo chorus captures that urgency for achievement that the duo strove for. Nigel and Dee especially really kill it during the chorus; Dee really could play these very melodic parts well and Nigel really builds things up so well on his drum parts. It properly sets the nostalgic mood for the album.

Next is “Tower of Babel”, which is about the business side of the music industry, particularly the publishers. It’s no surprise that it starts with the word ”snow”, because it kind of has a winter vibe to it; kind of dark and depressing, but still part of that lifestyle. The guitar playing here is cool, especially during the little instrumental section after the first chorus.

“Bitter Fingers” refers to Elton and Bernie’s time spent trying to write commercial songs for other artists, something they really struggled at. I love the irony of the music compared to the lyrics; the music is actually quite jolly, Elton’s fast piano at the beginning of the verses emphasizing that. And the way Elton sings “la de das” with the band backing him up on that at first glance would sound jolly, but as you examine the lyrics more, it is clear that he’s criticizing that style, which was what he was supposed to write. Once again, Davey’s guitar playing is great, especially near the end, and I love that combination of voices; when I think of the classic Elton John sound, those backing voices are just as much a part of it as anything else, and it’s again impressive to think that it was literally just Dee, Davey and Nigel; they didn’t need to hire professional backing singers, because they filled that spot perfectly.

“Tell Me When the Whistle Blows” is a really interesting song. Very funky, and I always felt that orchestra sounded like something out of a disco track. This one is about Bernie mainly, who was trying to adjust to city life. The band is great, the orchestra is great, and Elton gets the chance to remind us he can play multiple keyboards, as he plays electric piano and clavinet here.

“Someone Saved My Life Tonight” was the only single from this album. I remember hearing this as a kid on GREATEST HITS 1970-2002 and finding it to be one of the most emotional things I’ve ever heard, and I loved it, even without knowing it was actually rooted in real life events. Elton had been engaged during the period referenced in this song, but found himself conflicted between his music and settling down (I would also say the fact that he was gay, though judging from his autobiography, it doesn’t seem like he’d entirely realized that yet). He made a suicide attempt by putting his head in an oven, although he had left the window open and put a pillow under his head. Finally, both Long John Baldry and Bernie talked Elton out of it and it was for the best. It’s such a well-written song. The power of Elton’s piano, the passion in his falsetto, the way it builds up to the final chorus with Elton constantly singing “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” beforehand...it all creates this very majestic and emotional piece. I still love this song; the way it fades out still gets to me. So beautiful.

Next is “(Gotta Get a) Meal Ticket”, the most rocking song on the album. This is another song I love, for the complete opposite reason of “Someone Saved My Life Tonight”. “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” tugs at your heart strings; “Meal Ticket” pumps you up with energy. Elton and Bernie were not making a ton of money in those days, and this captures those struggles. Davey’s electric guitar playing is in the forefront here, as it should be, and I love that wicked little guitar solo he does. But I also think Elton’s clavinet playing deserves to be noticed too; the fast style captures the urgency of the lyrics and it’s such a unique, fun sound you don’t hear on too many Elton songs.

“Better Off Dead” refers to the time Elton and Bernie would spend in a bar after recording sessions for REGIMENTAL SGT. ZIPPO, observing the hopelessness of some of the characters they would see. This is a very percussion heavy song; while I love the melody Elton is playing on the piano and find it very catchy, it was always the drums that stood out the most to me on this song; this is probably the closest Nigel came to recapturing that hard pounding style of his early live shows with just Elton and Dee. The vocals on this track are also worth calling out; I love the middle with just Dee, Nigel and Davey and the way Elton sings “Better Off Dead” at the end is very haunting and atmospheric.

“Writing” is about...well, writing. The more laid back atmosphere captures the feeling of just staying at home, which makes sense considering that Elton and Bernie were living at Elton’s mom’s and would often write their songs (including “Your Song”) there. Truth be told, this is my least favorite song on the album, but that’s simply just because the rest of it is so fantastic. This one’s great too, another chance for Davey to show off (according to the album credits, Davey apparently plays a little piano on this too. Elton is on electric piano).

“We All Fall in Love Sometimes” and “Curtains” are technically separate songs, but much like “Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding”, I find that, really, the two songs fit so well together that they should be considered as one. The first part, “We All Fall in Love Sometimes”, is about finding happiness, which is ironic because it does start off sounding almost kind of wistful, but as it goes along, you do realize that the memories are happy and, as Bernie wrote, “It’s all worth it”. I really love the attention to detail on this song; when Elton sings about EMPTY SKY, not only does he play harpsichord, but it even kind of sounds like the ending to “Val-Hala”. That’s a really good callback, the kind that shows they were truly dedicated to this project. And finally, “Curtains” brings everything to a satisfying close. In this song, Elton and Bernie specifically recall some of their earliest songs, such as “Scarecrow” and “A Dandelion Dies in the Wind”. Considering the title, I always considered this to be them preparing for some type of show, maybe Troubadour or maybe even a little later. As the curtains go up, we leave them as they are reminiscing on the brink of greatness. Elton’s “lum de lums” are such a perfect way to go out; that combined with the backing vocals and Ray’s bells especially creates such an uplifting, emotional atmosphere. I love it so much; the perfect ending to the perfect album.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC continued the Elton John momentum that had built the past several years. Not only did it reach number one, but it also debuted at number one, apparently the first ever album to do so. And it feels so fitting; almost as though everything on the album was building up to this, like a reward for all of the hard work and memories that the album reflects. It really is a wonderful album and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have over the years.

Before we go, there are a few singles and B-sides to discuss:

First up is “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”, a reggae-influenced cover of the Beatles classic that also features John Lennon himself on guitar. Much like Elton’s version of “Pinball Wizard”, he does a great job of making the song his own. It’s fitting that it was released in November, because despite not being a Christmas song, it does have a bit of a holiday feel to it in Ray’s bell part and the overall nostalgic tone. Its B-side is a cover of a John Lennon solo song from MIND GAMES, “One Day At a Time”. Truth be told, I’m not all that crazy about the original and this doesn’t do much for me either, but I do kind of like the little jazz-influenced piano playing in the instrumental section.

Next is “House of Cards”, the B-side to “Someone Saved My Life Tonight”. It’s nothing super special; it’s stylistically kind of similar to the title track, but missing the nostalgic charm. Thematically, it has nothing to do with the CAPTAIN FANTASTIC album, which has led some to suggest it was written during the CARIBOU sessions, but since none of the CARIBOU tracks have electric piano on them (which “House of Cards” does have), this would suggest it was indeed recorded around the time of CAPTAIN FANTASTIC.

And finally, we have “Philadelphia Freedom”, a fun little song dedicated to Elton’s friend Billie Jean King. Everyone knows it, obviously it’s a great song. Elton does some fun experimenting with his voice, Gene Page again provides great orchestrations and it has that great ‘70s charm to it that you could also hear on “Daniel”. The B-side is a live track that we will discuss real soon...just not today.

“Philadelphia Freedom” was credited to The Elton John Band. It was a great nod to the fact that they were truly a unit that knew how to work off of each other. They weren’t just a backing band, they truly were “The Elton John Band”. So, it came as a shock to all that, shortly before CAPTAIN FANTASTIC’s release, Elton announced he was splitting the band. Yes, even though Davey and Ray stayed on, Dee and Nigel were dropped from the lineup. Elton said he wanted to take a different direction. How did that work out for him? We’ll find out with the next album.

Offline metaldams

I just discovered Spotify on my TV can show lyrics while listening to songs.  This should come in handy for this album since it’s conceptual.  Hoping to get to it Thursday.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I like the album cover there, it looks like a comic book cover. Interesting that the vinyl does come with a comic. I liked this album a lot, too.

"Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" does have an Americana feel to it, something that they have delved into several times before. It's cool to see a throwback here. "Tower of Babel" does have an electric guitar in it, but it still has more of a soft rock feel than a hard rock one. Elton John's vocals and lyrics are the highlights of this song. "Bitter Fingers" is a good upbeat song that again focuses on electric guitars. I noticed the synthesizers seem like they were toned down on this album. "Tell Me When The Whistle Blows" is very disco sounding, which would have been rising into the mainstream around this same time. My favorite part of the song are the keyboards. "Somebody Saved My Life Tonight" is a ballad that shows off Elton's keyboarding skills. The story behind it is interesting; that's a really odd way to attempt suicide.

"Gotta Get A Meal Ticket" is my favorite song on the album. It's an excellent rock track in the glorious 1970s style. "Better Off Dead" almost sounds like a cool down song after the great rocker before. The piano reminds of boogie woogie and ragtime playing. "Writing" has a country feel to it. It sort of sounds like a pedal steel guitar was used, but I don't think any were. "We All Fall in Love Sometimes" and "Curtains" from the sounds of it was intended to be an epic to end the album. It reminds me of "Hey Jude" with the buildup and the climax to fade out the song. It's even got a few backing singers.

Speaking of The Beatles "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" was a song I was familiar with, but not this version. I think I've almost always heard the Beatles version, but apparently this was also a big hit. The reggae stuff was completely unexpected, I guess we can add Elton John to the list of musicians who did reggae influenced music. "One Day at a Time" does have a very good piano section at the end. "Philadelphia Freedom" sounds like a very mid 1970s song with the strings that also give the song a sort of disco feeling.

Offline metaldams

Fantastic album overall.  I don’t like to make bold statements on albums I have just been introduced to, but I can see this possibly being the best Elton album, or at least darn close.  What I do know is there are no cases where Elton sounds like The Rolling Stones or Elton sounds like Tom Jones or whoever.  Here, Elton sounds like Elton and that should be the biggest take away of this post..  Everybody sounds like a complete unit and this sounds like a complete album that gels together.  I think by 1975 bands of this generation really seemed to hit a peak before the excesses of drugs, punk, disco or whatever hit them.

This felt much more like an album experience so this is less of a case where the songs stand out early.  The two exceptions are “Tower of Babel” and “Someone Saved My Life Tonight.” I love all the biblical references with rock n roll 70’s excess.  The crazy imagery with the call girls under the table and the medication prescribed to give a heart attack (Bill Ward just had one around this time, these guys were all going through the same garbage).  The malaise with all the adoring people yet no one truly there with a shoulder to cry on when they need it.  A rocking tune and really fantastic, gives the vibe of the Elton bio pic for sure in the crazy moments.  “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” again is a song I know, so of course I have a stronger opinion of it than the others at the moment.  A really beautiful and moving song for sure.  Cinematic is the right word,  it really does paint the story well.

I’ve always enjoyed the cover of “Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds” and like the reggae twist Elton adds.  It seems like he’s one of the few who can do reggae and have me like it.  Had no clue until now Elton covered “One Day At a Time.”  I really enjoyed his version.  It should also be mentioned Elton worked with John Lennon on “Whatever Gets You Through the Night” at this time and the song hit number one.  There’s also the John Lennon appearance at Elton’s Madison Square Garden concert around this time - I believe John’s last concert.  The night John and Yoko reconciled.  So yeah, a fruitful collaboration with Elton John Lennon.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I like the album cover there, it looks like a comic book cover. Interesting that the vinyl does come with a comic. I liked this album a lot, too.

"Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" does have an Americana feel to it, something that they have delved into several times before. It's cool to see a throwback here. "Tower of Babel" does have an electric guitar in it, but it still has more of a soft rock feel than a hard rock one. Elton John's vocals and lyrics are the highlights of this song. "Bitter Fingers" is a good upbeat song that again focuses on electric guitars. I noticed the synthesizers seem like they were toned down on this album. "Tell Me When The Whistle Blows" is very disco sounding, which would have been rising into the mainstream around this same time. My favorite part of the song are the keyboards. "Somebody Saved My Life Tonight" is a ballad that shows off Elton's keyboarding skills. The story behind it is interesting; that's a really odd way to attempt suicide.

"Gotta Get A Meal Ticket" is my favorite song on the album. It's an excellent rock track in the glorious 1970s style. "Better Off Dead" almost sounds like a cool down song after the great rocker before. The piano reminds of boogie woogie and ragtime playing. "Writing" has a country feel to it. It sort of sounds like a pedal steel guitar was used, but I don't think any were. "We All Fall in Love Sometimes" and "Curtains" from the sounds of it was intended to be an epic to end the album. It reminds me of "Hey Jude" with the buildup and the climax to fade out the song. It's even got a few backing singers.

Speaking of The Beatles "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" was a song I was familiar with, but not this version. I think I've almost always heard the Beatles version, but apparently this was also a big hit. The reggae stuff was completely unexpected, I guess we can add Elton John to the list of musicians who did reggae influenced music. "One Day at a Time" does have a very good piano section at the end. "Philadelphia Freedom" sounds like a very mid 1970s song with the strings that also give the song a sort of disco feeling.

Very interesting comparison of “Curtains” to “Hey Jude”. It’s funny, because I have seen “Bite Your Lip” compared to “Hey Jude”, but “Curtains” definitely seems to fit that description more; very dramatic and the “lum de lums” are a unique type of thing to sing in the same way as the “nah-nah-nah-nahs” from “Hey Jude”.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Fantastic album overall.  I don’t like to make bold statements on albums I have just been introduced to, but I can see this possibly being the best Elton album, or at least darn close.  What I do know is there are no cases where Elton sounds like The Rolling Stones or Elton sounds like Tom Jones or whoever.  Here, Elton sounds like Elton and that should be the biggest take away of this post..  Everybody sounds like a complete unit and this sounds like a complete album that gels together.  I think by 1975 bands of this generation really seemed to hit a peak before the excesses of drugs, punk, disco or whatever hit them.

This felt much more like an album experience so this is less of a case where the songs stand out early.  The two exceptions are “Tower of Babel” and “Someone Saved My Life Tonight.” I love all the biblical references with rock n roll 70’s excess.  The crazy imagery with the call girls under the table and the medication prescribed to give a heart attack (Bill Ward just had one around this time, these guys were all going through the same garbage).  The malaise with all the adoring people yet no one truly there with a shoulder to cry on when they need it.  A rocking tune and really fantastic, gives the vibe of the Elton bio pic for sure in the crazy moments.  “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” again is a song I know, so of course I have a stronger opinion of it than the others at the moment.  A really beautiful and moving song for sure.  Cinematic is the right word,  it really does paint the story well.

I’ve always enjoyed the cover of “Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds” and like the reggae twist Elton adds.  It seems like he’s one of the few who can do reggae and have me like it.  Had no clue until now Elton covered “One Day At a Time.”  I really enjoyed his version.  It should also be mentioned Elton worked with John Lennon on “Whatever Gets You Through the Night” at this time and the song hit number one.  There’s also the John Lennon appearance at Elton’s Madison Square Garden concert around this time - I believe John’s last concert.  The night John and Yoko reconciled.  So yeah, a fruitful collaboration with Elton John Lennon.

Yes, the Madison Square Garden Show is indeed something I plan on covering, as that makes up part of the live album, HERE AND THERE.

I agree with the idea of this album really needing to be viewed as a full album experience. “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” was of course a big single, but everything else always feels like it should be played one after another, it should be viewed as a whole. One thing I forgot to mention in my initial post is the fact that this was written in chronological order. That goes to show how dedicated they were to this concept.

Offline metaldams

Yes, the Madison Square Garden Show is indeed something I plan on covering, as that makes up part of the live album, HERE AND THERE.

I agree with the idea of this album really needing to be viewed as a full album experience. “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” was of course a big single, but everything else always feels like it should be played one after another, it should be viewed as a whole. One thing I forgot to mention in my initial post is the fact that this was written in chronological order. That goes to show how dedicated they were to this concept.

I checked out the Wikipedia page and the bonus disc live from Wembley 1975 has all the songs played live sequentially, so yeah, definitely meant to be an album experience.  Interesting that they wrote it sequentially as well, very unusual. I’m going to listen to this one again on Saturday.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I'm interested in listening to some of Elton John's live performances knowing that Jeff Baxter, Steely Dan's pedal steel guitarist in their early albums, was a tour musician for Elton John.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I'm interested in listening to some of Elton John's live performances knowing that Jeff Baxter, Steely Dan's pedal steel guitarist in their early albums, was a tour musician for Elton John.

I was about to bring this up since metaldams brought up the 1975 Wembley show and I know you’re a big Steely Dan fan. Baxter only played at that show, though, and it’s infamous for being the show where The Beach Boys upstaged Elton. While I like the idea of playing CAPTAIN FANTASTIC in full, it’s generally accepted that doing that was considered a huge mistake, as the album was still so new and fans were expecting to hear him play more hits.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Aiming to get the ROCK OF THE WESTIES review up on Friday or Saturday. Also excited for this one, as I consider it to be the most underrated Elton John album.

Offline Umbrella Sam

ROCK OF THE WESTIES is kind of in a strange spot in the Elton John catalogue. I’ve mentioned before that 1970-1976 is generally considered Elton John’s classic period, and just looking at the chart numbers from that period, it seems to be supported. Heck, much like the album that preceded it, WESTIES debuted at number 1 and even had a number 1 hit single. But it doesn’t feel like time has been quite as kind to it. I have no doubt that there are a lot of fans of this album, but I have seen multiple opinions considering this the weakest of the classic albums. I disagree with this assessment; I love this album and think it very much still deserves to be considered part of the classic period.

As you might imagine, ROCK OF THE WESTIES is a rock heavy album, which was intentional. Elton decided he wanted to quickly record a new album to show off his new lineup, which promised to be heavier and funkier. The lineup was a combination of old, present, and new. The “present” was Davey Johnstone and Ray Cooper, who were retained from the previous lineup. The “old” were Hookfoot members Roger Pope on drums and Caleb Quaye as another guitarist. Then we get the two new guys. The bassist was Kenny Passarelli, who had previously played with Joe Walsh. Finally, Elton decided to add a second keyboardist to the band. James Newton Howard was a session musician who had played keyboards for artists like Melissa Manchester and Ringo Starr (playing synthesizer on the Elton- and Bernie-penned “Snookeroo”). He has since gone on to become a famous film score composer, with credits including THE HUNGER GAMES series and THE DARK KNIGHT. While it is kind of a shame that Elton chose not to continue doing the various types of keyboard parts himself as he had on the previous album, Newton Howard still proves himself to be a very impressive player and has some real shining moments throughout the album.

The album starts with “Medley: Yell Help/Wednesday Night/Ugly”, which, as you can probably guess, is a medley. Immediately the tone of the album is established here. Lyrically, the album is not capturing the conceptual feelings of CAPTAIN FANTASTIC or TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION. Instead, the focus is rock, and the minute you hear those heavy guitars and synthesizers, you know what you’re getting in to. As you could probably guess, synthesizers start becoming more prominent here than on previous albums. Later on in Elton’s career, this would start to become an issue, but on this album, the natural guitar tones play well off of them; it still feels like a full rock and roll band playing, just with the addition of synthesizers. I really love the structure of this medley. “Yell Help” is pure rock full of guitars and synths, then it cuts into a brief interlude with “Wednesday Night”; the combination of Elton and Labelle’s voices with the synthesizers creates an otherworldly sound that’s very effective. It then focuses more on the guitars with “Ugly” before coming full circle at the end. That’s what I love most about this song; how everything ties together, especially the way Elton sings “Wednesday Night” over his “Yell Helps”. I thought that was really clever. Oh, and if there’s a part near the end where Labelle sounds suspiciously like a man, no, your ears are not playing tricks on you; Gus Dudgeon found out he needed additional vocals and ended up imitating Labelle himself!

That awesome opener is followed by “Dan Dare (Pilot of the Future)”. Written about a British comic book character, this song really focuses on the “futuristic” element, starting with Davey’s hilarious low vocals through a voice bag. One huge drawback to the loss of Dee and Nigel was the loss of that distinct backing vocal combination that had helped define Elton John records and the band here never really captures a consistent voice in that aspect, but it’s still interesting to hear them experiment with different styles. Here, they actually sound a lot like Queen, which works for me since I like Queen too. This is a very catchy song, featuring some great bass work, guitars and clavinets.

Next up is “Island Girl”, the big hit on the album. I do find this song catchy, but it’s also my least favorite song here and, in my opinion, a terrible representation of the album. The tone of it sounds so much more commercial than any other Elton John single this period, and in the kind of way that makes it more dated. It really is not a heavy rock song, and I feel like it gives the whole album a bad reputation as a result. Again, I must stress that I do enjoy it despite how obviously dated and formulaic it is, but...man, why couldn’t any other song have been the big hit? Speaking of which...

Next is “Grow Some Funk of Your Own”, which is more along the lines of the overall album tone. This kind of falls in “Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting)” territory, with more of a focus on guitars and Elton intentionally making his voice sound a bit rougher. I love the little comments he makes between the choruses, and the ending is a really good showcase for both Elton on piano and Ray on the vibraphone. This was part of a double A-side with the song that followed it, and sadly, they did not do as well as “Island Girl”, despite clearly being superior songs.

“I Feel Like a Bullet (In the Gun of Robert Ford)” is the perfect companion song to “Grow Some Funk of Your Own” given their reliance on vibraphone. This is a really interesting song; it’s a ballad, but it still has a heavier tone to it. Lyrically, it compares the breakup of a relationship to Jessie James’s assassin. Might seem like an odd comparison at first, but it makes sense when you listen to the song; the narrator feels like a traitor, much as Ford himself was labeled. The tone is captured quite clearly in the music, Davey’s weeping guitar solo being a highlight. And Elton’s voice, of course is fantastic, really nailing the falsettos in the choruses. In general, I feel this is the period where Elton’s voice was at its peak; his voice sounds so smooth and clear on this and the previous two albums, which is quite impressive to think about considering Caribou Ranch is located in the Rocky Mountains at a high altitude, which makes singing incredibly difficult. Listening to these three albums, it sounds almost as though the experience helped Elton’s voice become stronger in a way.

Starting off side 2 is “Street Kids”, probably the most guitar-based song on the album. This time Caleb gets the big guitar solo; he and Roger especially do a great job of giving this song an extra punch, very Rolling Stones-like. Once again, a very catchy song with an especially awesome fade out at the end, the kind that never gets tiring despite the song being over 6 minutes. This is one of the tracks I like to cite when proving Elton does indeed deserve to be categorized as a rock-and-roll artist.

“Hard Luck Story” might seem like an odd song lyrically, being about a husband constantly complaining about his job and suddenly deciding to leave his wife as a result. Well, there’s a reason for that: it was originally written for Kiki Dee and meant to be from the wife’s perspective. When Elton recorded, it was rewritten to be from the husband’s perspective. The confusing lyrical change aside, this is another cool guitar-heavy song, with Elton again getting to show off a bit more with his piano playing near the end.

Next up is “Feed Me”, a song about drug addiction. Given its subject matter, I’d like to take this moment to say that there is absolutely no evidence of Elton himself taking drugs pre-CARIBOU; I’m not entirely sure when that started, but it’s generally accepted that it was at least after GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD. He almost certainly was taking them by the time of ROCK OF THE WESTIES. Regardless of who “Feed Me” actually was about, it’s still a very powerful song that really captures the sadness and loneliness it’s going for. Of all the songs on this album, this is where the band really find themselves as backing vocalists; their sorrowful voices during the chorus contribute to the emotional atmosphere. Such a great song; the electric piano sets the tone, and after the final chorus, the guitars make the atmosphere even heavier. It’s hard to explain, but it’s like the guitars are helping build it to a definitive climax near the end, and I find it to be a really cool effect, with Ray’s wind chimes part at the end calming things down, before transitioning into the epic closing song...

“Billy Bones and the White Bird”. I LOVE this song! This song follows what’s known as the “Bo Diddley Beat”, something readily apparent in Roger Pope’s drumming. Elton and Kiki Dee are in perfect harmony throughout. Yes, most of the singing just amounts to Elton and Kiki singing “check it out”, but you know what, that’s enough for me, because it allows the whole band to just focus on the rock angle, and rock out they do. The guitars are awesome, there’s a really cool keyboard solo; heck, even Ray’s tambourine can be made out pretty well. It all feels like it’s building to something, and the “Check It Outs” are like Elton and Kiki taking charge. Some may find it repetitive, but I adore it, and I’d even go so far as to say it’s my favorite closing track on an Elton John album.

As I hinted at previously, I think ROCK OF THE WESTIES is Elton’s most underrated album. It may not be his absolute best, and from a lyrical perspective, it doesn’t quite have as much of a cinematic quality as the other classic Elton albums (“Bullet” and “Feed Me” being major exceptions), but it does what it set out to accomplish: it’s a band playing rock and roll and having fun. And I have fun listening to it; in my eyes, this still ranks up there with the best.

Just one B-side this time, and it’s actually a cover. The B-side to “Island Girl” was the Kiki Dee composition “Sugar on the Floor”. It’s not good; there’s a decent Etta James cover of it, but it is not strong enough to support Elton’s incredibly bare arrangement here. What makes it even worse is that guitars are briefly thrown in, but they make what’s already kind of a boring song just sound flat out silly. Definitely B-side material.

Offline HomokHarcos

Another hit in the park for Elton John. It's ironic that Elton John wanted to rush out an album, usually I thought musicians wanted more time to record and prepare the release.

"Medley: Yell Help / Wednesday Night / Ugly" is so good, and might be my favorite song on the album. The Yell Help section has a guitar riff that sounds like it takes inspiration from southern rock/roots rock. The backing vocals are an extra addition to make the song even better. "Ugly" has what sounds like an attempt to do a heavy synthesizer riff, I didn't know you could make them go that quickly! "Dan Dare (Pilot Of The Future)" is a serviceable catchy song. The guitar solo is a bit unique with that effect being used throughout. "Island Girl" is very cheesy, not just the music but the lyrics. That can be fine in some cases, but here it's not to my taste. "Grow Some Funk of Your Own": When I saw the title, I assumed it was going to be a funk song, but that is not the case. We do get a good rocker, though. I also like the addition of the vibraphone, that's an instrument I usually enjoy to hear, though I associate it more with jazz music. "I Feel Like A Bullet (In The Gun Of Robert Ford)" is the ballad of the album, and a good way to end the A side after the more upbeat tracks. Nice change of pace.

"Street Kids" starts off the B side with a bang! Absolutely great rocker, oh my goodness. This might be his heaviest song so far. Also another song with great keyboards and backing vocals. "Hard Luck Story" is not so heavy, but it is also upbeat. I liked the backing vocals on the songs previously, but this might be where they are most prominent, actually taking center stage. "Feed Me" musically is more lowkey, having an AOR feel to it, that would become more mainstream staring the late 1970s. "Billy Bones And The White Bird" is one of those songs where it sounds like it's building up to a heavier climax, only to not deliver, as a result it will be one I like more on subsequent listens than the first time.

"Sugar on the Floor" is the weakest track from this period. The title makes it sound we might get at least some silly fun, but it's not up to par. I don't know what sugar on the floor is supposed to feel like.

An overall strong album that gives us some really good rock songs like the opening medley track and "Street Kids".

Offline metaldams

Haven’t had as much music time as I’d like recently between work, family,  baseball and writing my own reviews, but I did listen to the first two tracks on my drive to work this morning. That opening medley was pretty awesome and I loved the way all three parts harmonized together at the end.  I thought that was so creative.  The second track was pretty rocking as well, I loved the way they quote the guitar lick from “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting” in the song.  Should have time to give this whole album a listen tomorrow, but so far, it sounds promising.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I’ve been addicted to Yell Help the past few days, listening to it over and over again. Catchiest guitar riff for me so far in an Elton John song.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Haven’t had as much music time as I’d like recently between work, family,  baseball and writing my own reviews, but I did listen to the first two tracks on my drive to work this morning. That opening medley was pretty awesome and I loved the way all three parts harmonized together at the end.  I thought that was so creative.  The second track was pretty rocking as well, I loved the way they quote the guitar lick from “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting” in the song.  Should have time to give this whole album a listen tomorrow, but so far, it sounds promising.

I’m in a similar situation, but I’m planning on catching up on Led Zeppelin this weekend. Good catch on the “Saturday Night’s Alright” callback in the middle. I’ve noticed that too but didn’t think to mention it.

I’ve been addicted to Yell Help the past few days, listening to it over and over again. Catchiest guitar riff for me so far in an Elton John song.

Really glad you both like this album so far. I agree, the opening medley is really awesome, and I often find it stuck in my head, especially that “Yell Help/Wednesday Night” mashup at the end. In general, this is an album I often find myself recommending to first time Elton John fans. A really solid set of tracks that’s helped by its focus on the rock angle specifically.

Offline metaldams

Fantastic album, I just listened to it two times in a row.  Funny you say “Dan Dare” reminds you of Queen because I was thinking more the opening medley.  Only in the sense it’s a medley, as Queen did that on QUEEN II and SHEER HEART ATTACK.  But yeah, a really creative song and I think I like the psychedelic “Wednesday Night” part the best. 

I did dig “Island Girl.”  Yeah, not as rocking as others on the album and maybe I can understand it not being the best representation for a single, but it is a fun, catchy, and endearingly cheesy tune.  It put a smile on my face.

“Grow Some Funk On Your Own” is simply a fantastic rocker, while “I Feel Like A Bullet (In the Gun of Robben Ford) is a slice of pop perfection the way “Rocket Man” is.  Nice contrast between two very strong tracks that add character to the album.

“Street Kids,” is another strong rocker.  The guitar and piano interplay has a Lynyrd Skynyrd like feel to it yet the rhythm section is much more driving.  Love this song, excellent.

“Hard Luck Story” made the least impression because I’m at a loss of much to say, but I remember at least enjoying it on some level.  “Feed Me” is a great Elton confessional song that gives the album some depth.  To throw in a drug story in the Elton camp, it was actually Bernie Taupin who turned Alice Cooper onto cocaine - right after Alice quit alcohol for a while.  The habit almost killed Alice and this was just made public in the past ten years.  Elton was also hanging with John Lennon during his “lost weekend” so God knows the excess Elton saw.  “Bill Bones and the White Bird” I found to be a satisfying closer with a strong fade out.

Overall a really good album and definitely one of my favorites so far.  I have no idea why this is rated so low compared to his other albums of the era.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

We briefly go back in time for this next album, Elton’s second live album, HERE AND THERE. The title comes from the fact that the album is made up of two different shows, both from 1974. Side 1 is “Here”, from a charity show at the Royal Festival Hall in London; side 2 is “There” from the Thanksgiving Show at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Both shows were special and would have seemed fitting for a live album; The Royal Festival Hall show was a charity show that was dedicated to reviving old Elton songs that hadn’t been played in some time, while the New York show was famous for having some guy named John Lennon making an appearance. Looking at the original album, it doesn’t entirely capture this. To its credit, 3 of the 5 songs on side 1 do, but the New York Show makes the gigantic mistake of not including the Lennon portion of the show. This is the perfect time to note that this was essentially released for the purpose of completing Elton’s contract with DJM. In 1973, he had founded his own record company, The Rocket Record Company, and following this release, his albums would be released in the UK through Rocket. 17-11-70 felt like it had artistic ambition; HERE AND THERE is essentially a contractual obligation.

That’s not to say what’s on HERE AND THERE isn’t good. On the contrary, I think what’s on here is really good, and it demonstrates the full Elton John Band in full form with Ray Cooper included. However, it’s definitely the 1990s remastered CD that is really worth checking out, as it includes more songs and paints an overall better picture of what made each show so special. Since these are live versions of many songs we’ve discussed before, I’m not going to do a full track-by-track here, but instead, talk about the specific highlights.

The Royal Festival Hall show opens with a solo version of “Skyline Pigeon”, the song that Elton fondly remembers as the first song he and Bernie wrote that they felt was really good. Considering the theme of nostalgia, it’s fitting that they chose a song from EMPTY SKY to open with. “Border Song” follows, and is also nostalgic in the sense that it’s just Elton, Dee, and Nigel performing, just like in the Troubadour days. Both great performances, and “Border Song” shows that the undeniable chemistry they had just as a trio had not lessened in any way despite no longer performing as one regularly.

The version of “Love Song” here is pretty cool. Usually when performing this song live, it was either done as a piano only piece or an acoustic-centric piece in which Elton left the piano, went to the front of the stage and played acoustic guitar(!) This performance is unique, though. For one thing, Elton brought out Lesley Duncan to perform the song with him; Duncan was known for having stage fright, so it was rare for her to make live performances. Additionally, the performance feels very in line with the Elton John style of the time; Davey is playing electric guitar and doing some really great interplay with Elton (this time on piano) throughout, and both Elton and Lesley give strong, passionate vocal performances throughout; it’s like they knew this would be the only such arrangement and were dedicated to giving the song the respect it deserved.

“Bad Side of the Moon” is amazing! I’ve talked highly of this song before. The single version is a cool, orchestral-heavy piece and the live version from 17-11-70 takes it in a different, heavier direction. This version sounds like something that should be on classic rock stations. I love the way it starts; It starts with this beautiful electric guitar part from Davey, supported by some light taps from Nigel and Ray Cooper playing the bells. It builds up to include Elton and Dee, then...boom! They launch into it with a real drive and keep that momentum moving until they repeat that beautiful opening in the middle, and finally go out with some of Davey’s best live guitar work. It’s such a fantastic arrangement; they took a good song, perfected it, and...never played it again. Yep, as of this writing, this is the last known performance of this song by Elton. I assume they felt it didn’t really go down that well with the audience and decided it wasn’t really worth revisiting...and, man, that is really a shame, because I love this version so much and would have enjoyed getting to hear more performances of it in this style. It’s the classic Elton John live staple that sadly never was.

“Honky Cat” does go down well with the audience, as you’d expect. What makes this so interesting is Ray Cooper’s duck call solo. Yes, you read that right. Ray Cooper is so talented that he can turn a duck call into an instrument...and you know what, of all the songs to pick, this does make the most sense, given its uptempo, already slightly silly nature. I enjoy it; I can understand some people finding it annoying, but man...it’s just so fascinating to listen to that. Also cool to hear Davey playing a bit of “Camptown Races” at the end.

On to the Madison Square Garden show. This one is full of more of the hits fans would recognize, starting with the classic opener, “Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding”. What’s especially interesting about this performance is the fact that it’s just the core lineup without any sort of keyboardist. The synth opening is actually just a playback of the original album recording. This also means that it lacks the flute-like synths during the piano solo in “Love Lies Bleeding”, which does feel kind of odd, but you do notice more of Elton as a result. It’s a really great rendition of the song.

“Grey Seal” really turns into a full-on rock song here, with the ending fadeout of the album becoming a chance for a guitar and bass-driven jam. It’s funny remembering that this was once a slow, orchestral piece that was almost destined to be forgotten, and now suddenly it becomes this real powerful number in a large stadium.

A new addition to the group is introduced for “You’re So Static”: the Muscle Shoals Horns, who help bring the horn-driven atmosphere of CARIBOU to the Madison Square Garden stage. “You’re So Static” kicks things off well, and then history is made.

Elton had appeared on a couple tracks on John Lennon’s WALLS AND BRIDGES, including the single “Whatever Gets You thru the Night”. In turn, Lennon had guested on Elton’s version of “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” and the two formed a strong friendship. Elton bet Lennon that “Whatever Gets You thru the Night” would be a number 1 single, saying that Lennon would have to join him on stage if it did hit number 1. Lennon, having not had a solo number 1 hit and not thinking this would be it, agreed...and, of course, he lost. As promised, Lennon came on stage and performed three songs with the Elton John Band: “Whatever Gets You thru the Night”, “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”, and, in a surprising twist, Paul’s number, “I Saw Her Standing There”. The results are as great as you’d expect. The Muscles Shoals Horns’ saxophone player, in particular, does an excellent job on “Whatever Gets You thru the Night”. The guitars especially stand out on “I Saw Her Standing There”. But what probably stands out the most for me, is just hearing John Lennon performing “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” live. Remember, this was a song that he had never played live before and, sadly, would never get to play again. It’s just so wonderful finally getting to hear him have a chance at it; there’s something truly special about the little solo section he gets to sing in the middle as well as the final performance of the chorus where you can also make out his voice well. It’s a really solid three songs that, unfortunately, would turn out to be his last live. But man, what a performance, and we’re lucky that it has been preserved in such good quality.

The closing two songs are “Your Song” and “The Bitch is Back”. “Your Song” gets special treatment as Elton changes the lyrics to reflect his love for New York, and I can imagine people being in the audience really appreciating it; it certainly sounds like they did based on the audience reaction. “The Bitch is Back” closes things off with some classic rock. As you’ll notice, the key is changed, which actually reduces the party atmosphere and gives it more of a hard edge, which I kind of prefer.

So yeah, HERE AND THERE is still a good live album, although unlike the original 17-11-70, most of the highlights do come from the remastered version in the 1990s. The “There” side has more hits for the casual fans with the addition of Lennon, while “Here” has some of the best performances of some of his lesser-known songs (although I will admit the version of “Burn Down the Mission” here really lacks the extra punch of the 17-11-70 version). Well worth checking out.

Offline metaldams

If contractually, Elton had only one album left on his contract, I can understand this being a single.  However, a shame this wasn’t released as or close to the expanded reissue (the version I listened to) because this is quite good.  I do like the concept of the two shows and the way they are sequenced.  The first album, until the end, feels more like deep cuts at the beginning and it grows more into the hits. 

A very useful album for a guy like me.  I’ve been listening to a lot of Elton lately and it’s a lot to absorb at once, so this consolidation of an era should get a lot of play from me and make those older albums easier to digest once I’m used to this live one.  One of the curses of getting older is an inability to absorb new music as quickly as I used to.  Yet, I still have music from my teen years, even if I hadn’t heard it in decades, memorized.  It started at thirty for me, I hate it.

I thought the duet version of “Love Song” was fantastic here.  “Take Me To the Pilot” has more bite live and “Daniel” seemed a tad more driving here too.  The John Lennon stuff is of course a lot of fun and the band is really cooking on “Whatever Gets You Through the Night.”
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Elton John was great live during this period, his piano playing having a slightly different feel than the studio albums, feeling more fantastical when live. His vocals are also almost perfect live, I haven't heard any of the later concerts after this, so I'm not sure if he was able to keep this up.

I noticed the duck call in "Honky Cat" and wondered what was going on, it was very goofy sounding. Such a strange decision to use that live as an instrument. I did like the slap bass playing near the end of the song. “Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding” was probably my favorite performance on here, giving me that otherworldly feeling when hearing Elton John play on the piano. The long instrumental section is a good pick for a live audience. "Bennie and the Jets" had a the audience cheering along, and this time it was for real! That was a song I was wanting to hear live eventually for that reason.