Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Woke Revolution and What Its Done to Cinema

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Since I was a child, my parents would say, "We're going to watch a movie. Its titled 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks', or 'Song of the South', or 'Mary Poppins', or 'Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang' and not think twice about the political, ethical, moral, or socioeconomic values the movie either displayed, or seemed to display. These movies were seen by us as family members as "entertainment" and NOT to be viewed as "FACT". Even the movie "Flubber" in its original creation with Fred McMurray was "suspending our beliefs" to even think that someone could invent a rubber that was "superbouncy". But THAT was the magic of movies. We can lay aside REAL sense and take on the crazy sense the movie gives us and enjoy it for the length of the movie. I was taught this in my creative writing class to make a "Tall Tale" in which the writer is told to suspend the readers disbelief in order to give the main character a superhuman quality. I wrote a story about a rat that thwarted the homeowners best attempts at ridding the rat, that they actually became fast friends in the end. I learned storytelling from this college course I took.

But this "Woke" aspect of storytelling is killing the creative mind of ALOT of young aspiring writers who are afraid to make the main character an apparent victim of hatred (my rat) or a main character the victim of teenage mockery (my own thought) or the victim of being a nobody and of no consequence at all (Star Wars).
Humans MUST allow US to tell our stories, or else there is no HUMAN reasoning anymore.

Please give your thoughts and  perspectives, because WE NEED IT to preserve our humanisticness.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I wonder if this why the 2012 remake of The Three Stooges Movie did not do as well .... is the WOKE folks that old, that they would berate Slapstick Comedy? They MUST know that this is off the wall, in your face, stupid, please DON'T DO THIS AT HOME. The producers even put a warning at the end of the movie saying "Please do NOT DO THIS at Home" in order to placate the woke people at that time .... lets hope it worked.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Personally, I LOVE being "UNWOKE" going into any movie. Tell me a lie, give me fiction as fact, I don't care, JUST ENTERTAIN ME. That's what I paid for! Sell me popcorn for 10 dollars a pop, I'm already in La La Land. How about 7 dollars for a soda, or 5 dollars for a candy bar, .... (we'll talk about what to charge you for movie meals later)

Offline metaldams

I’ve tapped out of modern culture, for the most part, decades ago.  Even in the 90’s.  Thing is, the 90’s look like a Golden Age compared to today.

When I was a kid, it was post Jim Crow, but pre woke.  A good balance.  Were things perfect?  No and they never will be.  By virtue of us being human that’s impossible. 

I like Archie Bunker and George Jefferson.  Both very flawed individuals, but they were honest and human and funny just the same.  Would never be allowed to happen today.
- Doug Sarnecky

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I’ve tapped out of modern culture, for the most part, decades ago.  Even in the 90’s.  Thing is, the 90’s look like a Golden Age compared to today.

When I was a kid, it was post Jim Crow, but pre woke.  A good balance.  Were things perfect?  No and they never will be.  By virtue of us being human that’s impossible. 

I like Archie Bunker and George Jefferson.  Both very flawed individuals, but they were honest and human and funny just the same.  Would never be allowed to happen today.
Okay, maybe I was a little TOO honest about how I watched movies. The point is I wanted to be entertained, NOT educated. I am so far unfamiliar with the "woke" bullshit that the youtube sites are spouting, but they are saying that movies are no longer movies, but platforms for portraying a "real" life which, to me, has NEVER been the purpose of movies.

Offline metaldams

https://www.avpress.com/opinion/just-call-them-the-woke-awards/article_2105d038-89f0-11eb-81dd-43c670a355a1.html

First is a humorous video about woke culture reacting to old movies.  Second is an article about woke culture’s treatment of current film and awards show.  This is a political topic which you may or may not agree with.  Research the term woke a little more and make up your own mind.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I wonder if this why the 2012 remake of The Three Stooges Movie did not do as well .... is the WOKE folks that old, that they would berate Slapstick Comedy? They MUST know that this is off the wall, in your face, stupid, please DON'T DO THIS AT HOME. The producers even put a warning at the end of the movie saying "Please do NOT DO THIS at Home" in order to placate the woke people at that time .... lets hope it worked.

Out of curiosity, I looked up The Three Stooges movie on Wikipedia,  if accurate, it actually did make a profit of over 24 million, so I guess that would qualify as a success.  I wasn’t aware of that until now.  But yeah, the woke thing is a different beast altogether, not much to do with The Three Stooges movie.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

….and more thing to add, agreed about wanting to be entertained.  Certain old movies are about the only haven I have in this world right now where I don’t feel like I’m being preached to about something and I’ve been watching tons of them as late - more so than normal times.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Yeah, Hollywood has just because a giant indoctrination center for things ranging from stupid to downright perverted.  Not to get political or such, but enough stats show that people who watch certain TV programs (e.g. sitcoms, etc.) are more likely to hold certain political views.  No, I just want to laugh my ass off, plain and simple; cut the politicrap and entertain me.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

https://weirdgeometry.com/blog/the-general

An article about white supremacy in The General.  The level of stretching it over a five second shot is incredible.

For the record, the scene in SEVEN CHANCES where Keaton legitimately balks at the idea of marrying  a black woman when he’ll marry anyone else to get that fortune I do find personally offensive and unnecessary in an otherwise fine film.  It’s not that there aren’t things that bother me.  It’s more so how far things are being stretched, like in the article above.
- Doug Sarnecky