Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

It Always Happens (1935) - Andy Clyde

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163013/

This has to be one of the worst original Columbia shorts I have ever seen.  The plot is unoriginal and unfunny.  Most of what's supposed to be funny no matter where you put it isn't funny.  The situations aren't funny.  The characters aren't funny.  I laughed exactly two times in this short.  First time I laughed was when Andy climbed into the back seat to kiss his wife; second time was when I saw Andy in the stroller with the baby thumbing for a ride.  That was it.

IT ALWAYS HAPPENS is yet another lame domestic situation, and this one really stretches beyond what is acceptable in "suspension of disbelief."  The battle with the drunkard was one of the slowest and most frustrating things I have ever watched in any comedy at all.  It's astounding to think that this is a Del Lord directed short. 

This short can... BURN IN HELLTM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/10 [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

I disagree, this was actually one of my favorite domestic marriage mix-ups I've seen, I enjoyed it almost the whole way through. I liked the part with the drunk and them going around the entrance. The part in the car was also very funny for me when Andy was getting stabbed and then pretending to be drunk driving. I thought the supporting cast was excellent. Also, it was more risque than the later ones, including a late scene where the woman is in a barrel.

Offline metaldams

I agree with Homok on this one, not bad at all.  Actually pretty good.  True, it’s a domestic mix up again, but it also has a fast paced slapstick Sennett feel mixed in with it.  It’s Del Lord directing, there’s a bunch of scenery changes and different scenarios to keep things visually interesting and this was all because it was made early enough when these Columbia shorts had something resembling a budget.  Even the intros of this era, better music than “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” unique intro backgrounds to the films and in this case - something I’ve never even seen in a Stooge short, a classy supporting cast list.

Speaking of the supporting cast, very good here.  This is classic exploding Bud Jamison and Arthur Houseman gets his drunk act here like he does so many other films.  I think he works quite well with Clyde in his scene.  I’m starting to notice Clyde as more of a straight man who is good when he has strong characters to work off of, like here.  He does take some good falls earlier in the short, so he’s still got it for an old guy in his forties  [pie].  Geneva Mitchell too is fantastic and I really dug the car scene with her in the back and husband Jamison in the front. 

A fine fast paced Del Lord short in the Columbia shorts salad days.
- Doug Sarnecky