Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (1935) - Blu coming on 9/28

Offline falsealarms

Good news for Marx Brothers fans.

Warner Archive is bringing A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (1935) to Blu-ray on September 28!

Details: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29123

Offline falsealarms

High Def Digest review: https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/98141/anightattheoperamarxbrothers.html

A Night at the Opera isn’t just one of the best Marx Brothers movies, it’s also one of the finest comedies ever made. The laughs come hard and fast and the lovely musical numbers with a terrific supporting cast make this a true gem in the Marx Brothers’ catalog. Their films were never the same or quite as good as they were here. Warner Archive Collection upgrades this classic to Blu-ray with excellent results. The film has never looked or sounded better and all of the previous bonus features have been carried over along with a new vintage MGM short. If you’re a Marx Brothers fan, this is an essential Must Own addition to the collection

Offline NoahYoung

Just curious, but hasn't this been shown for years in HD on TCM?
Any word on restoring the "lost" footage. The whole opening was cut out a long time ago during WWII because of references to Italy. The contract scene has some jump-cuts, too, since either Chico or Groucho mentions Italy. Offhand, I don't know if the original camera negative or fine grain exists, but in any case, you think they would haven't made the cuts to an low generation neg/print, but I guess they did. Since they finally restored ANIMAL CRACKERS to 100% complete, there is still hope for OPERA.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline metaldams

Just curious, but hasn't this been shown for years in HD on TCM?
Any word on restoring the "lost" footage. The whole opening was cut out a long time ago during WWII because of references to Italy. The contract scene has some jump-cuts, too, since either Chico or Groucho mentions Italy. Offhand, I don't know if the original camera negative or fine grain exists, but in any case, you think they would haven't made the cuts to an low generation neg/print, but I guess they did. Since they finally restored ANIMAL CRACKERS to 100% complete, there is still hope for OPERA.

If this new footage did show up, I would definitely re-buy A NIGHT AT THE OPERA.  As far I know, no on any cut footage being restored, but I hope somebody tells me I’m wrong.
- Doug Sarnecky