Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Beatles Album Discussion Thread

metaldams · 104 · 12529

Offline metaldams

This next entry we’ll call the MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR era.  This will cover the post 1967 Sgt. Pepper recordings and the pre 1968 White Album recordings.  Yes, there is a MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR album which at the time was only released in the U.S. and since no songs on it appear on any proper Beatles album, has been apart of the now official canon since the first batch of Beatles CD’s were released in 1987.  That said, “Strawberry Fields Forever” and “Penny Lane” are from the Sgt. Pepper era.

Not that the Sgt. Pepper era is far apart from what was recorded after - The Beatles continued recording right away.  First release after Sgt. Pepper was the single “All You Need is Love” with the b side “Baby You’re a Rich Man.”  Both good songs, especially the a-side.  Love the melodic simplicity and optimism of the former.  It really is the height of The Beatles and the whole Summer of Love thing.  The b side is a good track too.  Pretty psychedelic sounding with some muted, galloping bass playing from Paul.  The YELLOW SUBMARINE leftovers “All Together Now” and “It’s All Too Much” were also recorded around this time.  The former is a simplistic Paul children’s song and arguably my least favorite Beatles song.  The latter is an underrated George song.  Some psychedelic instrumentation, a cool melody and a bit jammy and drawn out for The Beatles.  Interesting to hear them do such a thing.

Next single is “Hello Goodbye” followed by the b side, “I Am the Walrus.”  The former is one of my favorite Paul songs ever.  The first time I ever heard it was watching the Anthology Series on ABC in the mid 90’s.  When they played the video, I fell in love with the song instantly.  “I Am the Walrus” is classic bizarre wordplay psychedelic John.  A case where the words don’t make sense, more like a verbal exercise similar to what Dylan did in the mid 60’s - who no doubt inspired John.  I read the “egg man” line was inspired by Eric Burdon of The Animals.  I guess he used to do kinky things with eggs and groupies.  Hey, whatever get you through the night, I guess.  This song was also on the….

MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR EP.  Side A of the U.S. album, though the track order is different on the British EP.  Four of the six tracks are very good, including the already discussed “I Am the Walrus.” The title track is a pretty upbeat and joyous opener.  I love “Mystery Trip” bridge and Paul’s little bass fill.  “Fool on the Hill” is reflective Paul and “Your Mother Should Know” schmaltzy Paul - I dig them both.  The other two tracks are listenable but not my favorites.  George really seemed uninspired here with “Blue Jay Way.”  Thank God he picked up his guitar again when he went to India.  “Flying” is the very definition of pleasant filler.

Finally, now in early 1968, we get another classic Paul single in “Lady Madonna.” A pretty cool boogie woogie piano based pop song about single motherhood that’s always been another favorite of mine.  The b-side is George’s “The Inner Light,” his last Indian based Beatles tune.  I’ve always enjoyed this one, digging the light and shade nature of the high energy Indian music in the instrumental parts followed by the quiet verses.  Great lyrics too.  Then also recorded around this time was the YELLOW SUBMARINE leftover “Hey Bulldog.”  An absolute classic, one of the hardest rocking tunes The Beatles ever did.  Love that heavy opening riff especially.

So yeah, we’ll over a year between proper studio albums for The Beatles, but they kept themselves very busy releasing some pretty cool stuff in the meantime.  R.I.P. Brian Epstein, who without him, we probably wouldn’t be discussing this story.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Excellent review. The "Magical Mystery Tour" EP is certainly preferable to the Fab Four's glorified home movie — the dreary "Blue Jay Way" notwithstanding. Despite moments of surrealist whimsy, the group's lack of cinematic prowess is painfully evident. The soundtrack remains a superior investment.

Brian Epstein's passing is mentioned several times in Part One of "The Beatles: Get Back" documentary.

Paul:  "We’ve never had discipline. We had a sort of slight, symbolic discipline by Mr. Epstein. He sort of said, 'Get suits on' and we did. And so we were always fighting that discipline a bit. There really is no one there now to say, 'Do it.'  Daddy’s gone away now and we're on our own at the holiday camp."

George:  "Since Mr. Epstein passed away, it's never been the same."

Paul:  "Yes, we've all been very negative since he's gone."

Offline metaldams

When this discussion is done, thinking of doing a Led Zeppelin discussion.  Hey, maybe Diesel will get involved.  Black Sabbath discussion too when Megadeth is over, in case anyone is interested.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

When this discussion is done, thinking of doing a Led Zeppelin discussion.  Hey, maybe Diesel will get involved.  Black Sabbath discussion too when Megadeth is over, in case anyone is interested.
I'd like to listen through Led Zeppelin. My family are big fans of them, but I never went through all of their work.
I'll probably get to listening through these songs on the weekend. I've been working overtime and have had barely any free time the past few weeks.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Alright, time to catch up on this discussion.

SGT. PEPPER’S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND is...good. Yeah, I like it, and in some ways can see why it’s considered the masterpiece it is. But from my personal perspective...there are a few problems.

Let’s start from the beginning. The concept of a fictional band is a clever one. It’s not really carried through the album that much, but it does make for an effective opening. The title track is a cool rocker with horns that emphasizes how the Beatles appear on the cover, almost as though they’re some sort of marching band fused with (then) modern music. And it segues into “With a Little Help from My Friends”, in my opinion the best song that Ringo ever sang. Like “Act Naturally”, it’s a song that works so well for the personality that was established for him; lonely but still friendly.

“Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” is of course a well-known song, with a wide range of instruments and a really good vocal performance from Lennon. Of course, me being the Elton John fan I am, I do need to point out his equally excellent, somewhat reggae-influenced version that also features Lennon on guitar. “Getting Better” is, I believe, the first Beatles song I ever knew about, as a cover by Smash Mouth was featured in the 2003 adaptation of THE CAT IN THE HAT, a terrible adaptation that happens to be a guilty pleasure of mine (the kitchen scene in particular always made me laugh).

At this point, I’ll stop going in order to point out the two reasons I don’t consider this a full masterpiece. They are called “She’s Leaving Home” and “Within You Without You”. I’ll start with the latter. I get why people like it; it does follow the trend Harrison was approaching as he became more interested in Indian music and lyrically is very philosophical. My problem is that it goes on for what feels like an eternity. I do like long songs, but they have to have something to really keep your attention the entire time. “Bohemian Rhapsody” is constantly changing and feels more and more like an epic as it does so. On the other side of the spectrum, Gordon Lightfoot’s “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” is definitely more repetitive than “Bohemian Rhapsody”, but it also tells a story that’s easy to follow and keeps my attention as a result. “Within You Without You” seems like it’s too complex for it’s own good; I appreciate what George is trying to do, but when combined with a super repetitive sitar part that really doesn’t change that much, it just doesn’t keep my interest for very long. It’s strange; every time I listen to it, I listen to the beginning and think it does sound kind of cool when it starts, but by the end, I’m just really tired. That’s why I blame the length.

Don’t worry, though, because “Within You Without You” is not my least favorite song here. Nope, that actually would be “She’s Leaving Home”. Unlike “Within You Without You”, though, I find it difficult to describe why I dislike this so much. I think it just comes down to the fact that I don’t like the way it’s arranged. I usually do like songs that have classical influences, but for some reason this one just bothers me. I don’t like to use the word pretentious much, but this is one example where I feel it applies; the strings feel like they’re trying too hard to be classical rather than just doing it naturally. Even the vocals bother me; it’s almost as though they’ve sweetened their voices to some point that annoys me constantly when listening to this song.

Alright, let’s take things back to a positive note. What are my two favorite songs? Ironically, they’re songs that are as different as you can imagine. One is Lennon’s “Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!”  I really love how it’s arranged; it really sounds like it’s coming out of a circus. All of the organ sounds are really cool and I especially love how the ending kind of transitions to sounding like you’re leaving a Disney ride. The other is “Lovely Rita”. The piano kind of reminds me a bit of “For No One”, but more upbeat, and I especially love Lennon’s background vocals. Ironically enough, the vocals here sound a bit sweetened as well, but unlike “She’s Leaving Home”, it feels like they’re having fun doing it and aren’t forcing it to fit the theme. “Good Morning Good Morning” is also a song I often find myself humming. It’s probably the most out of place, as it’s not really psychedelic or classical influenced at all, which is probably why Lennon was so harsh on it years later. However, it’s far from the throwaway he described it as. It’s catchy, has a nice guitar solo and good vocals. What more could you ask for? I can’t really say more about “A Day in the Life” that other people haven’t; it’s a great song that makes great use of the orchestra and ends the album with a bang.

So, yeah, I don’t personally consider it to be perfect, but the quality of the songs that are good is still really high and as a whole, SGT. PEPPER’S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND is a hugely influential album that deserves it’s spot in music history.

OK...now for the other songs:

“Only a Northern Song”: Never liked it. Unlike “Within You Without You”, which I find super repetitive and too complex, this one I’m not fond of for the same reason I don’t like “Tomorrow Never Knows”: to me, it just sounds like a bunch of noise that’s just not pleasant to listen to.

“Strawberry Fields Forever”: An excellent song that really shows why psychedelic music works. It’s weird and something you’d never expect to hear...but it’s also so interesting that it holds your attention to the end, and it sticks with you.

“Penny Lane”: Another great Paul song. Once again, this is a case where Paul’s fascination with classical music really works to his advantage, thanks to the inclusion of the piccolo trumpet, a really fascinating sound that you don’t hear in too many non-classical songs.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Umbrella Sam

Might try to get involved in the Black Sabbath discussion. I’ve been trying to broaden my musical tastes a bit and that might be an interesting one to try. Led Zeppelin might be a pass, though. Maybe I’ll change my mind, but I’ve never been able to get into them.

Offline metaldams

A couple of thoughts on “She’s Leaving Home.”  The classical arrangement is a bit different in feel than other Beatle tunes and it’s because for once, somebody else did the arranging besides George Martin.  Sam, just curious, have you heard both the mono and stereo versions of the song?  The reason why I ask is because the song is pitched a half step apart between the both versions, so it’s possible you may like one version and not the other.  The same thing applies to “Don’t Pass Me By” on The White Album.

Commenting on Dr. Mabuse’s MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR film comments - haven’t seen it in years.  I had that, as well as Paul’s GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROAD STREET film on VHS and no longer have a VCR.  The latter I know it’s been about twenty five years since I’ve seen it.  Would love a fresh viewing of both.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

A couple of thoughts on “She’s Leaving Home.”  The classical arrangement is a bit different in feel than other Beatle tunes and it’s because for once, somebody else did the arranging besides George Martin.  Sam, just curious, have you heard both the mono and stereo versions of the song?  The reason why I ask is because the song is pitched a half step apart between the both versions, so it’s possible you may like one version and not the other.  The same thing applies to “Don’t Pass Me By” on The White Album.

Commenting on Dr. Mabuse’s MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR film comments - haven’t seen it in years.  I had that, as well as Paul’s GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROAD STREET film on VHS and no longer have a VCR.  The latter I know it’s been about twenty five years since I’ve seen it.  Would love a fresh viewing of both.

Thanks for pointing this out metaldams, as I was actually not aware of this. The one I’ve been used to is the stereo version. I just listened to the Giles Martin mix, which seems to use the mono mix’s pitch and it certainly makes the strings sound better in that pitch. However, I still hate how the vocals sound and, now that I think about it, I also hate the way the harp sounds overused in both versions as well.

I haven’t really explored the Beatles’ mono mixes that well, as for the longest time I didn’t think the differences were that large. It wasn’t until recently I found out that even some early Elton John mono mixes had significant differences (“Lady Samantha”’s guitar part near the end is noticeably different, for example). That’s another thing I would like to explore when I get a chance, as it would be interesting to spot the differences between what I’m used to hearing and how it actually appeared in the mono mixes.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Alright, MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR. I saw the film once about 9 years ago when it aired on PBS to celebrate its DVD/Blu-ray release. At the time I was excited because I had seen the “I Am the Walrus” video and loved it so much that I really wanted to see the film it was associated with. So I saw it, and...well, at least it’s not HELP!

OK, so here’s the issue with MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR: it’s very directionless, which on paper kind of makes sense considering A HARD DAY’S NIGHT didn’t really have a strong plot either and in many ways this was the opposite of the over complicated HELP! However, A HARD DAY’S NIGHT, while light on plot, did put a lot of emphasis on the characters; we got certain moments where we got to connect with each character, whether it be the Beatles, their managers, heck, even the guy running the TV show. We got to see characters with believable personalities, and that stuck. MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR basically just shoves a bunch of people on a bus...and that’s it. They do try to have a small subplot with Ringo’s aunt, but it’s not really executed that well and just seems like another distraction in a film full of distractions. Every now and then there’s a funny moment; I particularly liked where they start a race and Ringo basically just takes the bus while most of the others have to run. And, of course, I still love that “I Am the Walrus” scene. However, as a whole, the film is not that entertaining. Still better than HELP! though.

OK, now for the music. Let’s start with the original EP:

“Magical Mystery Tour”: A nice opening that immediately feels like “Sgt. Pepper” 2.0. It’s pretty much the same idea; introduce the audience to a fantasy concept with strong emphasis on brass. One big difference is here there’s a really cool part where the song feels like it’s over, only to segue into an awesome piano fade out with additional effects. I like it.

“Your Mother Should Know”: A decent song that again echoes Paul’s interest in vaudevillian style songs. Not his best attempt at the genre, but it’s still hummable.

“I Am the Walrus”: Amazing. I really don’t know how to describe why I like this song so much. Everything just blends so well. The electric piano and Mellotron, the cool backing vocals, the strings...oh my gosh, I love the strings here. The Beatles have obviously used orchestras well on other songs, but to me, this is the song that shows you can do so much more with them than just echo what most orchestras do. I love the way they keep going for higher and higher notes in the closing fade out and also whenever they match up with the backing vocals while John is singing “I am the eggman!” I cannot do this song enough justice; it’s such a well-made song!

“The Fool on the Hill”: A quieter Paul song. The melody’s nice and I especially love how much focus is put on the flutes, as that’s not something that’s focused on too much in Beatles songs; the only other instance I can think of at the top of my head is “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away”.

“Flying”: I really wish I could like this one more than I do. I really like the idea of the Beatles being able to do some great instrumentals together, but outside of “Cry For a Shadow”, they just never found the right melody for it. Metaldams’s assessment is right on the point: pleasant filler.

“Blue Jay Way”: I think it’s OK. I like Harrison’s vocals here and how the double tracking kind of creates an odd effect in a song full of odd effects. It’s not great, but I find it OK.

Now, for the remaining songs to cover in this era:

“All You Need Is Love”: It’s strange. With a title like that, you’d think this would be one of the most generic love songs you could get, but it’s far from that. It’s the kind of song that I can’t see anyone hating; the vocals are fantastic, the harpsichord is cool, there’s a lot of energy, especially at the end. Such a wonderful song.

“Baby, You’re a Rich Man”: It’s fine; the chorus is kind of catchy, but it doesn’t have nearly the same emotional impact as its A-side.

“All Together Now”: Also not great, but it serves its purpose: it’s meant to be a children’s adventure song for an animated movie and as far as that goes, it works fine.

“It’s All Too Much”: A pretty cool song. I really like the feedback at the beginning; it sounds like something Jimi Hendrix would have done. It does go on a bit too long, but I still like it.

“Hello, Goodbye”: Another catchy Paul song. One moment I’ve always liked in particular is that little part in the middle where Paul sings “Do you sing Goodbye?!” I love his energy there. Not much else to say; this is another song that gets stuck in my head very easily.

“Lady Madonna”: Another great Paul song, and one that shows off Paul’s versatility with his voice. He occasionally used this more rough vocal style in other songs like “Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey”, but this was the first real hit to show this off. The saxophones were also a nice touch; overall, another really catchy song.

“The Inner Light”: George’s last Beatles song to have a heavy Indian influence. This one works, with its quiet verses playing really well off of the cool little instrumental moments in the middle. Much better than “Within You Without You”.

“Hey Bulldog”: A fantastic rocker that finds John, Paul, George and Ringo returning to their roots and having fun. This is one of their most underrated songs and is in my opinion an ideal choice to introduce people to the Beatles.

(Deep breath) Well, that was a lot to take in. Even though there were some occasional weaker spots, the Beatles still showed they were capable of creating great music at a time where they really weren’t that focused on making a proper studio album. Still, that’s a long time to go without releasing a studio album. Maybe they could make up for it with a double album. Oh wait...

Offline HomokHarcos

I kind of group in this album with Magical Mystery Tour with Sgt. Pepper as being in a similar psychedelic era that would end with their next album. It also gives some great tracks. "Your Mother Should Know" funnily enough is something that can describe my actual situation with the Beatles and my mom. These came out before she was born, but she would definitely know about the music and songs the Beatles made. I love the vaudeville show tune influence of it. "I Am the Walrus" is a very cool song, even if I don't know what John Lennon is talking about he sounds like he's doing an awesome boast. "Flying" is a song that makes for good background noise in a movie, which may have been the intention for the song.

"All You Need is Love" is a good, cheery upbeat song. "All Together Now" sounds like a medieval song that villagers would chant and dance to. "Hello Goodbye" is one of those great Paul McCartney songs that make you feel good. "Lady Madonna" is my favorite song from this period. I love boogie woogie style piano, and the Beatles did fine here tapping into their early style rock and roll, R&B influence. "The Inner Light" I find to be not as great as the other sitar songs. "Hey Bulldog" is a song that fit well in an action movie, that's what the opening sounds like.

By the way, I'd like to thank you for giving a historical background on the Beatles (and the same with Megadeth) in your reviews. As somebody who's not as well versed in music history, I learn quite a bit. Probably the only band I give a more detailed explanation is Steely Dan if there's ever any interest for that, but that would be a long time from now if we listen to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath (and possibly Elton John if Umbrella Sam is still on board with that).

Offline Umbrella Sam

I kind of group in this album with Magical Mystery Tour with Sgt. Pepper as being in a similar psychedelic era that would end with their next album. It also gives some great tracks. "Your Mother Should Know" funnily enough is something that can describe my actual situation with the Beatles and my mom. These came out before she was born, but she would definitely know about the music and songs the Beatles made. I love the vaudeville show tune influence of it. "I Am the Walrus" is a very cool song, even if I don't know what John Lennon is talking about he sounds like he's doing an awesome boast. "Flying" is a song that makes for good background noise in a movie, which may have been the intention for the song.

"All You Need is Love" is a good, cheery upbeat song. "All Together Now" sounds like a medieval song that villagers would chant and dance to. "Hello Goodbye" is one of those great Paul McCartney songs that make you feel good. "Lady Madonna" is my favorite song from this period. I love boogie woogie style piano, and the Beatles did fine here tapping into their early style rock and roll, R&B influence. "The Inner Light" I find to be not as great as the other sitar songs. "Hey Bulldog" is a song that fit well in an action movie, that's what the opening sounds like.

By the way, I'd like to thank you for giving a historical background on the Beatles (and the same with Megadeth) in your reviews. As somebody who's not as well versed in music history, I learn quite a bit. Probably the only band I give a more detailed explanation is Steely Dan if there's ever any interest for that, but that would be a long time from now if we listen to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath (and possibly Elton John if Umbrella Sam is still on board with that).

Yeah, I’d still be up for leading an Elton John discussion, maybe once the Beatles discussion is over. I agree, it’s interesting to talk about the history of these things as we dive deep into them, especially as it leads us to things we may not have known about (case in point for me, I had no idea about the higher pitched version of “She’s Leaving Home”). It would be interesting to dive into more discographies this way.

Offline metaldams

After The Beatles I’m going to do Zeppelin (only nine albums and I know Diesel will pitch in, maybe we should do Rush at some point too), but if Sam wants to start an Elton thread, I’d be up for that.  I did give that a thought because I know he’s a big fan.  I only own physical copies of the two 70’s greatest hits albums and GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD, so that would be a lot of exploring for me.  Now that we live in the steaming age, this stuff is accessible.   Should be a fun ride.

Speaking of history, only a small handful have a crazier one than Black Sabbath.  Tons of line up changes, Tony Iommi being the only constant.

The White Album review coming in the next few days,  I’m chomping at the bit to do that one!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Will get to The White Album no later than Sunday, possibly sooner.  Spoiler:  My favorite Beatles album.  In the mean time, here’s an interesting video.  Literally every song on this list is pre Rubber Soul or Yellow Submarine soundtrack with the exception of number 1.  When you see what number one is, it will make sense.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

An excerpt from John Lennon's 1980 Playboy interview:  "I heard some Beatles stuff on the radio the other day and I heard 'Green Onion' . . . no, 'Glass Onion.' I don't even know my own songs! I listened to it because it was a rare track. It's a song they don't usually play. When a radio station has a Beatles weekend, they usually play the same ten songs — 'A Hard Day's Night,' 'Help,' 'Yesterday,' 'Something,' 'Let It Be.' There's all that wealth of material, but we hear only ten songs."

Offline Umbrella Sam

Will get to The White Album no later than Sunday, possibly sooner.  Spoiler:  My favorite Beatles album.  In the mean time, here’s an interesting video.  Literally every song on this list is pre Rubber Soul or Yellow Submarine soundtrack with the exception of number 1.  When you see what number one is, it will make sense.

Funny because I literally just discovered this video yesterday. Not going to lie, Words of Love and Baby’s in Black being on there really hurt.

Offline metaldams

THE BEATLES (1968), a.k.a. “The White Album” is my favorite Beatles album and one of my favorite albums of all-time, period.  I know so many people say x song doesn’t belong on the album and that the album would be stronger if the best songs were paired down to a single LP and yadda yadda yadda.  Hey, if that’s your opinion, fine.  I get it.  I feel that way about certain ventures from Guns n’ Roses and Metallica in the 90’s, but I digress.  However, in the case of “The White Album,” the diversity and the pacing just works for me.  It’s all a very satisfying listen.  Truly a case where the whole is stronger than the sum of its parts.

The best example of the previous sentence is the infamous “Revolution 9.”  Yes, it’s basically just a long sound collage that on its own, would never make a playlist of favorite tunes.  Heck, John and Yoko made three albums of this type of stuff which I’ve never heard and have no interest in hearing.  But in the context of the album?  It works.  Hearing this bizarre sound pastiche, especially in headphones, especially after hearing all this diverse and wonderful music preceding it, makes the trip that much more fascinating to me.  Then after all this chaos it segues into a beautiful Disney like lullaby sung by Ringo called “Good Night” to end the album - I never fail to be moved.

As far as favorite songs?  Oh man, there’s 30 songs and I love so many of them.  I will say George gets four songs and I feel he really steps up his game.  I think going to India and getting back in touch with himself as a guitar player really helped.  Obviously “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” is a masterpiece.  Lyrically, musically, the Clapton guitar solo - it all works.  I also want to give props to the highly underrated “Long, Long, Long.” I love the melody, the bridge and the real extreme dynamic shifts throughout the song.

As an unapologetic heavy metal fan, it should be of no surprise I have to single out “Helter Skelter.”  It is one of two moments where I feel The Beatles ventured into metal.  Now there was recently an article on Blabbermouth where the comment section poo pooed the idea of this being metal and the idea of anything before Black Sabbath approaching metal is blasphemy.  No musical genre appears out of thin air and there are usually blips before it’s fully formed.  “Helter Skelter” is such a blip.  That machine gun riff that opens the song, the hard hitting rhythm section, Paul’s vocals, and the diatonic, not blues based, but diatonic descending riffs in the chorus definitely have shades of early metal.  OK, this ain’t Morbid Angel, but for 1968?  As heavy as anything from Hendrix, Cream and Blue Cheer.  The Who as well.  Paul was inspired to out heavy Pete Townsend after hearing “I Can See For Miles.”  He succeeded.

There are other hard rock songs on the album with a more distorted tone than previous works such as “Yer Blues,” “Everybody’s Got Something Except For Me and My Monkey,” “Birthday” and “Back in the U.S.S.R.”  In addition to pioneering hard rock, we get wonderful acoustic finger picking stuff (a technique learned in India from Donovan) like “Blackbird,” “Dear Prudence” and “Julia.”  We get old fashioned Paul stuff like “Honey Pie” and “Martha My Dear.”  Moody heroin influenced John songs like “I’m So Tired” and “Happiness is Warm Gun.”  Put it all together?  You get a really nice homemade meal.

The single from this era is some little ditty called “Hey Jude” and the b-side “Revolution.”  Both classics.  The former is such a beautiful song that I feel I can’t add to what’s already been said.  I will say I saw Paul live in 2010 and singing along to the end part with Paul and 20,000 other people was a highlight of my life.  “Revolution” again continues the hard rock heavy guitar tones, a political song written like 50’s rock.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

My favorite of your Beatle album reviews so far. John Lennon considered "The White Album" the group's best recording:  "I thought the music was better. The 'Pepper' myth is bigger, but the music on 'The White Album' is far superior."

"The White Album" marks the beginning of their solo careers — evidenced by tracks such as Lennon's "Julia," McCartney's "Blackbird," Harrison's "Long, Long, Long" and Starr's countrified "Don't Pass Me By." Nevertheless, the group rocks harder than ever on "Birthday," "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey" and the heavy-metal precursor "Helter Skelter." The throwaways are relatively few ("Wild Honey Pie") and the experimental "Revolution 9" had more Beatle involvement than previously realized — with several minutes derived from a lengthy alternate take of "Revolution."

It's a shame there wasn't room for George's "Not Guilty" and his acoustic version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Nevertheless, "The White Album" is a remarkably diverse collection. A special nod to Paul's unlisted (and unpublished) "Can You Take Me Back?"

Offline metaldams

My favorite of your Beatle album reviews so far. John Lennon considered "The White Album" the group's best recording:  "I thought the music was better. The 'Pepper' myth is bigger, but the music on 'The White Album' is far superior."

"The White Album" marks the beginning of their solo careers — evidenced by tracks such as Lennon's "Julia," McCartney's "Blackbird," Harrison's "Long, Long, Long" and Starr's countrified "Don't Pass Me By." Nevertheless, the group rocks harder than ever on "Birthday," "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey" and the heavy-metal precursor "Helter Skelter." The throwaways are relatively few ("Wild Honey Pie") and the experimental "Revolution 9" had more Beatle involvement than previously realized — with several minutes derived from a lengthy alternate take of "Revolution."

It's a shame there wasn't room for George's "Not Guilty" and his acoustic version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Nevertheless, "The White Album" is a remarkably diverse collection. A special nod to Paul's unlisted (and unpublished) "Can You Take Me Back?"

I too am a big fan of the acoustic “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.”  As far as “Not Guilty,” I was listening to George’s self titled album a few weeks back, released eleven years after “The White Album.”  “Not Guilty” finally got an official release there and it indeed is a cool song.  Love the way that riff serves as a hook and another great melody and lyrics.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Another excellent album, although I can see why people would think it is too long. Especially for the time period it came out.
"Back in the USSR" is a rock and roll song that almost feels like it has a boogie-woogie influence. "Dear Prudence" is even better, with a sound that sounds like many tracks The Doobie Brothers would later record (I'm a fan of them). "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" is a song I've heard a lot before and didn't realize it came out this late in their career. "Wild Honey Pie" is a track I don't care for at all. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Why Don't We Do it in the Road", "Everybody's Got Someting to Hide Except Me and My Monkey" and "Yer Blues" are blues inspired hard rock songs. This is the kind of music I usually associate with classic rock. "Helter Skelter" has got to be the heaviest song The Beatles recorded, and think it can be classified as heavy metal.

"Martha My Dear" and especially" Honey Pie" are vaudeville/music hall inspired songs. I actually really like 'Honey Pie" it's a feel good song that sounds like a showtune. "Rocky Raccoon" is a mixture of two different styles, and I love them both: acoustic guitar music and ragtime.

"Revolution" and "Revolution 1" are same song, different genres, both are good. "Revolution 9" on the other hand seems like an attempt to make something creepy and freak out the listener who was not expecting it. "Hey Jude" is the song I associate the most with The Beatles. It feels like the climax of a great, but short career.

The one issue I have with the length is that there are so many good songs that can be overlooked when you listen to it together. When I listened to the songs individually there are songs I noticed were actually really good that I didn’t pick up the first time when I listened to the album together.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Author Tim Riley's observations in his excellent book Tell Me Why (1988):  "The double album signifies a major artistic accomplishment and comes to represent much of what a given artist is all about. . . . The Beatles toy with the double-album form in different ways:  the individuality of the songs overwhelms the sense of the four sides as a whole. George Martin still holds that he preferred paring the material down to compose one strong two-sided record, and yet the options for making a satisfying single record from this compilation seem limited.  . . . There is no sequence that would satisfy the strictures of the 40-minute record without discarding not a few but many great tracks."

"[T]he chief criticism this album lays itself open to:  it sounds as though the Beatles have become mere accompanists for one another. But even this flaw has its merits:  the varied stereo mixes make them sound like a different band on each track.  . . . The disparity between songs is linked only by the musical currents that still flow between them."

Offline Umbrella Sam

A few years ago, I presented a challenge here to try making THE WHITE ALBUM a single album and I have to admit that it was a lot harder than I thought. Heck, there are still choices there that I’ve debated changing. It just goes to show that there actually are a lot of really good songs on there, more than I think people give it credit for.

Which is not to say there aren’t some stinkers. There are three in particular I’ve always taken issue with. “Why Don’t We Do it in the Road?” is absolutely terrible. Yes, I’m serious. Out of all the Beatles songs out there, I consider this the worst. I’m fine with repetition, but with a long phrase like that, it just comes off as Paul awkwardly scream singing the title for the most part. “Wild Honey Pie”...not good, but I kind of appreciate what Paul was trying to do here. It feels like there was some ambition to make something fresh, but mixing bizarre guitar sounds with Sesame Street monster type voices isn’t something I think people were begging for. “Revolution 9?” What “Revolution 9?” I don’t know a song called...

OK, fine. Yes, “Revolution 9” is a thing that exists and something I skip every time I listen to this album. In fact, when I tried to listen to it again for this review, I found out my CD copy was scratched and when I tried to stream it, my Internet froze for a while. It was like a sign not to listen to it again. Obviously, considering my previous statement about “Why Don’t We Do it in the Road?”, I don’t consider this the worst Beatles song, but part of that is because it’s debatable if it’s really a song at all. Yes, the base track of it is from the ending of “Revolution 1”, but you can barely tell based off of what’s going on. To be fair, it’s not really that bad at first; I think if they had cut it off after about a minute, it would have been acceptable, but at the length it ended up at, it just feels like such a waste of space. Literally, you could cut it out and put “Hey Jude” in it’s place. Or, they could have also replaced it with George’s “Not Guilty” and saved “Hey Bulldog” from its fate of being banished to an album many Beatle fans didn’t really like.

OK, so now that that’s out of the way, what about the rest of the album? Some songs are better than others, but outside of the aforementioned ones, I do like each one in some way. “Back in the USSR” and “Dear Prudence” are both great opening songs. McCartney is usually an acceptable drummer, but I really do have to give credit for his drumming on “Dear Prudence”, especially near the end as it’s speeding up; it really feels like he felt the weight of the situation and was giving his all. “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da” is the source of much debate for all Beatles fans, but I’ve always enjoyed it for the silly song it is; if I didn’t know better from all accounts, I’d say that it did sound like fun recording based off of all the laughing sounds near the end. The three-way sequence of “Bungalow Bill”, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” and “Happiness is a Warm Gun” is fantastic. I know some people like to make fun of “Bungalow Bill”, but the Mellotron and organ in the verses actually do create this kind of dark, eery effect that really work in the song’s favor. “Guitar Gently Weeps” is easily my favorite George Harrison song, and one of my favorite Beatles songs in general. Everything from the production to the deep lyrics is just so fantastic; it’s the kind of song that I like to show people just to show how cool they really were. And “Happiness’s” constantly changing sections makes it a really effective side closer; when I did my one album version of THE WHITE ALBUM, I made this the last track, and that’s one decision I still stand behind, as it really does have that effect of pulling the listener back in to listen again.

That three-way sequence is so fantastic, in fact, that the songs immediately following it and starting the next side kind of feel underwhelming as a result. I love “Martha My Dear” and think “I’m So Tired” is OK, but after that three-way sequence, anything was going to be underwhelming. It’s as though those three songs took you to a different world and now the Beatles are bringing you back to Earth, as most of the songs on here are lighter in instrumentation, mostly ballads. There are still great songs here; “Blackbird”, “I Will”, “Julia”, and there are a few uptempo songs too (“Don’t Pass Me By” and the song that I refuse to mention again), but I do think it was kind of a mistake to sequence these songs in the way that they did. To be fair, I myself have trouble figuring out how to sequence the rest of this album better; the only thing I can think of that might work would be switching “Glass Onion” with “Martha My Dear”.

Side 3 picks things up from a rock perspective again. “Birthday” and “Yer Blues” have the same effect as “Back in the USSR” and “Dear Prudence” in kicking things off well. I’m not the hugest fan of “Mother Nature’s Son”, but otherwise the rest of the side is pretty effective. “Sexy Sadie” has some of the best vocals on the album, “Everybody’s Got Something to Hide” is another explosive rocker, “Helter Skelter” is one of the most unique songs Paul ever made. It all works pretty well.

Side 4 starts off with the memorable “Revolution 1”. I know lots of Beatles fans hate “Honey Pie”, but as someone who is fascinated by all that old vaudeville-type stuff, I do find it quite entertaining and memorable. Outside of that avant-garde time waster, the rest of this side is great. “Savoy Truffle” is a fun rock number from George, “Cry Baby Cry” has a haunting feel to it, and “Good Night” ends things with a nice, 40s-style ballad.

And, finally, there’s the single: “Hey Jude”/“Revolution”. And, really, what can I say? They’re both fantastic songs. So, yeah, overall a really creative period for the Beatles. Not everything’s perfect, but you still have to admire all the creativity that was coming out of them around this time. Heck, there were other songs that were demoed around this time too that were also of great quality and would show upon later albums. Even if it was a period of turmoil for the band personally, the work that came out of it still remains a great piece of music history.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" is the source of much debate for all Beatles fans, but I’ve always enjoyed it for the silly song it is.

I always preferred the early version that McCartney rejected (Take 5), which was slightly faster and had more of a reggae sound. 

Offline Umbrella Sam

I always preferred the early version that McCartney rejected (Take 5), which was slightly faster and had more of a reggae sound. 

Fair point. That take certainly makes better use of the “la la la” backing vocals than the one on the album, although I suppose like most Beatles songs, I do tend to prefer the ones I’m more used to (“Two of Us” is an exception; more on that later). What’s good about the Beatles is just how much they kept; there are so many different alternate recordings of Beatles songs that there’s always something new to discover.

Offline metaldams

I decided we’re going to do LET IT BE before ABBEY ROAD, sometime next week.  I am finally going to watch the documentary this weekend.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I decided we’re going to do LET IT BE before ABBEY ROAD, sometime next week.  I am finally going to watch the documentary this weekend.

Enjoy the long and winding (yet rewarding) documentary.