Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Beatles Album Discussion Thread

metaldams · 104 · 12617

Offline metaldams

It’s not a bad song, I gave it a few listens yesterday.  I like John’s melody.  Even with the AI, you can still tell the difference between the old and new.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

My verdict: I like “Now and Then”, but don’t love it. The melody’s good, I like the string section, and overall, I think it is far better than “Free as a Bird” (which to date, I still can’t understand why they gave precedence to that one). At the same time, though, I don’t think it’s as good as “Real Love”, which sounds so much more natural; “Real Love” feels like it could have been on RUBBER SOUL or REVOLVER. It sounds like the Beatles. “Now and Then” sounds like the Beatles trying to sound like the Beatles; it actually reminds me a lot of George’s “When We Was Fab”, which I also like, but no matter how hard they try, they just don’t feel like the real thing.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Samurai

I shall begin by giving an overview of my personal Beatleness (self-sic).

My debut on this earth was the same week as the Beatles first single. I don't know for certain, but the enormity of both occurrences would take some time for the world to sort out. I honestly can't remember my first time hearing the lads. I can only assume it was on a car radio...likely with my mom. When I got my first cheap AM radio (while in grade school), I would hear them on WLS. That station played such a variety, it definitely shaped my eclectic musical tastes. (I've attached the most played songs list for the year I got my radio).

I started hearing them everywhere from high school onward, and got hooked. In college, I became a bigger fan...but mostly up to Sgt. Pepper. I don't think I really appreciated their last few albums until I was in my 30's. I'll also admit, for vocals, I was absolutely a John guy.

Finally (for now), I can prove I'm a true fan. I've only played guitar in public on one occasion...my mom's funeral 11 years ago. With my sister on piano, we played two songs. 'In My Life' and 'My Sweet Lord'.

I'll be back to opine soon.

Offline metaldams

I shall begin by giving an overview of my personal Beatleness (self-sic).

My debut on this earth was the same week as the Beatles first single. I don't know for certain, but the enormity of both occurrences would take some time for the world to sort out. I honestly can't remember my first time hearing the lads. I can only assume it was on a car radio...likely with my mom. When I got my first cheap AM radio (while in grade school), I would hear them on WLS. That station played such a variety, it definitely shaped my eclectic musical tastes. (I've attached the most played songs list for the year I got my radio).

I started hearing them everywhere from high school onward, and got hooked. In college, I became a bigger fan...but mostly up to Sgt. Pepper. I don't think I really appreciated their last few albums until I was in my 30's. I'll also admit, for vocals, I was absolutely a John guy.

Finally (for now), I can prove I'm a true fan. I've only played guitar in public on one occasion...my mom's funeral 11 years ago. With my sister on piano, we played two songs. 'In My Life' and 'My Sweet Lord'.

I'll be back to opine soon.

Looking forward to your Beatle thoughts.  We go album by album here, so pretty chronological if you want to read our thoughts and compare to your own.
- Doug Sarnecky