Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Megadeth albums

Offline metaldams

Definitely a classic.  If you look at best thrash albums lists online these days, it’s usually either this, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning or Reign in Blood taking the number one spot.  I will nitpick the negative first because of this, but believe me, it’s nitpicking because this is mostly a stellar album.

I always thought “Poison Was the Cure,” while not bad, sounds like a sped up NWOBHM song and seems a little behind the times compared to the forward thinking thrash of the other proper tracks.  “Dawn Patrol” is filler in the literal sense.  A few months before his (clears throat) recent incident, David Ellefson appeared on a panel YouTube video comparing this album to Metallica’s …And Justice For All.  He flat out admitted producer Max Norman thought the album was too short and needed something to fill up a few minutes.  Hence the birth of “Dawn Patrol.”

The rest of this album?  Flat out genius.  The debut album of the classic line up with lead guitarist Marty Friedman and the late Nick Menza on drums.  This line up lasted about  8 or 9 years - a long time by Megadeth standards.  The level of musicianship on this album is of the highest standard.  If any non metal head is reading this, you don’t have to like this music, but the level of technical skill these four men display here is undeniable.  The great thing is, unlike a lot of tech heavy bands, they combine what they’re doing with both heaviness and great songwriting, a very difficult combination to pull off.

“Holy Wars….The Punishment Due” and “Hangar 18” is simply one of the greatest one two punches to open an album of any era or any genre.  Interesting thinking the former is about Ireland and I can see the interpretation. I always thought Israel and Palestine.  The video shows middle eastern footage (timely as this was released during the first Gulf War), there’s that cool Middle Eastern sounding guitar motif Friedman plays in the middle of the song, showing the musical color and diversity he brought to the band.  Finally, there’s the line, “Don’t look now to Israel, it might be your home land.”  Yes definitely apropos to Ireland, but the Middle East as well. 

“Five Magics” is lyrically the last black magic Megadeth song as the lyrics get more personal and political over the years, but man what a classic.  That opening bass riff combined with those harmonized guitar parts on time is very atmospheric and gives me chills every time.  “Tornado of Souls” is another masterpiece and Marty Friedman’s guitar solo is the stuff of legend.  The song constantly peaks higher and higher on an emotional level too, just amazing playing and songwriting as well.  After the guitar solo when Mustaine is singing, pay attention to Ellefson’s bass and the way it gets higher and higher in key, really effective emotionally.

Pretty much a must own album if you’re a Megadeth fan or a metal head.  Essential listening.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Definitely a classic.  If you look at best thrash albums lists online these days, it’s usually either this, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning or Reign in Blood taking the number one spot.  I will nitpick the negative first because of this, but believe me, it’s nitpicking because this is mostly a stellar album.

I always thought “Poison Was the Cure,” while not bad, sounds like a sped up NWOBHM song and seems a little behind the times compared to the forward thinking thrash of the other proper tracks.  “Dawn Patrol” is filler in the literal sense.  A few months before his (clears throat) recent incident, David Ellefson appeared on a panel YouTube video comparing this album to Metallica’s …And Justice For All.  He flat out admitted producer Max Norman thought the album was too short and needed something to fill up a few minutes.  Hence the birth of “Dawn Patrol.”

The rest of this album?  Flat out genius.  The debut album of the classic line up with lead guitarist Marty Friedman and the late Nick Menza on drums.  This line up lasted about  8 or 9 years - a long time by Megadeth standards.  The level of musicianship on this album is of the highest standard.  If any non metal head is reading this, you don’t have to like this music, but the level of technical skill these four men display here is undeniable.  The great thing is, unlike a lot of tech heavy bands, they combine what they’re doing with both heaviness and great songwriting, a very difficult combination to pull off.

“Holy Wars….The Punishment Due” and “Hangar 18” is simply one of the greatest one two punches to open an album of any era or any genre.  Interesting thinking the former is about Ireland and I can see the interpretation. I always thought Israel and Palestine.  The video shows middle eastern footage (timely as this was released during the first Gulf War), there’s that cool Middle Eastern sounding guitar motif Friedman plays in the middle of the song, showing the musical color and diversity he brought to the band.  Finally, there’s the line, “Don’t look now to Israel, it might be your home land.”  Yes definitely apropos to Ireland, but the Middle East as well. 

“Five Magics” is lyrically the last black magic Megadeth song as the lyrics get more personal and political over the years, but man what a classic.  That opening bass riff combined with those harmonized guitar parts on time is very atmospheric and gives me chills every time.  “Tornado of Souls” is another masterpiece and Marty Friedman’s guitar solo is the stuff of legend.  The song constantly peaks higher and higher on an emotional level too, just amazing playing and songwriting as well.  After the guitar solo when Mustaine is singing, pay attention to Ellefson’s bass and the way it gets higher and higher in key, really effective emotionally.

Pretty much a must own album if you’re a Megadeth fan or a metal head.  Essential listening.

Dawn Patrol is an odd song compared to the rest, so I assumed it was a cover even if I didn’t recognize it. The story behind the song makes sense. Holy Wars is could be about Israel and Palestine. That itself is depressing because the conflict is still going on 30+ years later. A few years ago (2018 or 2019) my mom was collecting vinyls again so I bought her this album for Christmas.

I was wondering what happened with Ellefson and searched it up, and I definitely was not expecting it to be that serious, yikes.

Offline metaldams

I was wondering what happened with Ellefson and searched it up, and I definitely was not expecting it to be that serious, yikes.

It’s all over the Metal news sites and is relevant because Ellefson is no longer in the band as a result.  I fortunately have not seen the footage, but I understand it’s out there.  Yeah, a pretty weird part of the story, but that’s much later.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

This album has songs that I call action movie types, which are tunes that when I hear it I imagine it being used in a action scene). The songs on here that fill the bill are "Skin o' My Teeth" and "Architecture of Aggression".  "Foreclosure of a Dream" is a really good song with the guitar style that I am a big fan of. "Sweating Bullets" and "Captive Honour" are fun, almost comedic-like songs. "Symphony of Destruction" is probably the first Megadeth song I knew, and I would think it is also their most popular song.

Offline metaldams

COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION was the first time I ever heard Megadeth.  I was 13 years old and this album came out two weeks after I moved from Connecticut to Delaware.  Kind of an overwhelming summer and this album, along with a few others, got me through it.  I remember sitting in the basement watching MTV when they actually played videos.  Saw the video for “Symphony of Destruction” just before the album came out and that was my first time hearing this band.  Bought the album shortly after on cassette.  I’ve been a fan ever since.

The album is more streamlined and less thrash than previous efforts, though the thrash elements are still there in parts.  Two reasons, one being the emergence of grunge and more prominently, the success of Metallica’s “Black Album” in 1991.  Metallica also streamlined their sound and had massive success.  One of the best selling albums of all time, any genre.  While Megadeth never got that big, this album did go double platinum and hit number two on the charts.  They got beat out by Billy Ray Cyrus - Miley’s Dad.

Truly love every track on this album, not a weak song in the bunch.  Of course “Symphony of Destruction” rules - fantastic political power corrupts lyrics and a riff so simple it’s genius.  A lot of times the simple riffs are the most memorable.  “Sweating Bullets” is the other famous one, love the attitude in Dave’s vocals and come to think of it, more simplicity come verse time in the guitar.  Megadeth really using breathing space in the rhythm playing, a stark contrast to anything on RUST IN PEACE.

Many great dark horse tracks abound.  Yes, “Captive Honour” has some humor and voice acting from the band.  “Skin o’ My Teeth,” “This Was My Life” and the criminally underrated “Ashes in Your Mouth” are my other favorites, the latter having some interesting time signature shifts, a catchy as Hell chorus and that really cool Iron Maiden like gallop instrumental section in the middle.  But really, every song is fine here, the band finding a good balance of song craft, tight playing and heaviness for changing musical times.  Another winner.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION was the first time I ever heard Megadeth.  I was 13 years old and this album came out two weeks after I moved from Connecticut to Delaware.  Kind of an overwhelming summer and this album, along with a few others, got me through it.  I remember sitting in the basement watching MTV when they actually played videos.  Saw the video for “Symphony of Destruction” just before the album came out and that was my first time hearing this band.  Bought the album shortly after on cassette.  I’ve been a fan ever since.

The album is more streamlined and less thrash than previous efforts, though the thrash elements are still there in parts.  Two reasons, one being the emergence of grunge and more prominently, the success of Metallica’s “Black Album” in 1991.  Metallica also streamlined their sound and had massive success.  One of the best selling albums of all time, any genre.  While Megadeth never got that big, this album did go double platinum and hit number two on the charts.  They got beat out by Billy Ray Cyrus - Miley’s Dad.

Truly love every track on this album, not a weak song in the bunch.  Of course “Symphony of Destruction” rules - fantastic political power corrupts lyrics and a riff so simple it’s genius.  A lot of times the simple riffs are the most memorable.  “Sweating Bullets” is the other famous one, love the attitude in Dave’s vocals and come to think of it, more simplicity come verse time in the guitar.  Megadeth really using breathing space in the rhythm playing, a stark contrast to anything on RUST IN PEACE.

Many great dark horse tracks abound.  Yes, “Captive Honour” has some humor and voice acting from the band.  “Skin o’ My Teeth,” “This Was My Life” and the criminally underrated “Ashes in Your Mouth” are my other favorites, the latter having some interesting time signature shifts, a catchy as Hell chorus and that really cool Iron Maiden like gallop instrumental section in the middle.  But really, every song is fine here, the band finding a good balance of song craft, tight playing and heaviness for changing musical times.  Another winner.

Nice to hear stories about when these albums came out. My uncle also tells me fond memories of biking to the store to get metal albums on release date, something people my age didn't grow up doing. He also said he had to buy metal magazines to find out when new albums were coming out. (By the way, this will make you seem old, but I noticed you are closer to my parents in age than you are to me). I admit this album did have a more accessible sound, but I still liked the style of it. Changing up can be good sometimes.

Offline metaldams

Nice to hear stories about when these albums came out. My uncle also tells me fond memories of biking to the store to get metal albums on release date, something people my age didn't grow up doing. He also said he had to buy metal magazines to find out when new albums were coming out. (By the way, this will make you seem old, but I noticed you are closer to my parents in age than you are to me). I admit this album did have a more accessible sound, but I still liked the style of it. Changing up can be good sometimes.

I’m old enough to be your Dad - but a young Dad.  LOL. I’ll be 43 in December.

As far as metal magazines, correct.  There was Circus, Hit Parader, Metal Edge for the glam metal, Metal Maniacs for the harder metal and others.  Albums were released on Tuesdays and you went to the local CD store to buy them.  I went to Wonderland Records and made friends with the people who worked there.  Truth be told, if record stores were still a thing, I’d probably own  or work in one.  Album release dates were an event and a person went to the store.  These days, you just wait until midnight, go on your streaming service day of release and your new album is at your fingertips.  If you do buy physical product, you wait for the mail man.

I like the convenience of today in a sense, but miss the culture of the old days.  New music is no longer a special event and things are more isolated.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

This was the world when Guns ‘n Roses released the Use Your Illusion albums in 1991.  This is what I mean in the culture changing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

This was the world when Guns ‘n Roses released the Use Your Illusion albums in 1991.  This is what I mean in the culture changing.
Thanks for sharing that, it was pretty interesting. The landscape was a lot different now. I liked seeing the price: CDs for $12.88 and cassettes for $8.88.

Offline HomokHarcos

I've heard complaints about Megadeth's albums after their thrash phase and was expecting them to be worse, but I liked this album. The songs are easy to follow along, and are great for a more casual metal fan like me. The songs I am familiar with were "Train of Consequences" and "A Tout le Monde", both songs I happen to like very much. "A Tout le Monde" was one of the first Megadeth songs I knew, and is a great example of a less heavy song they did. The other songs are also catchy, I liked "Black Curtains" and think it would be good for a video game soundtrack or wrestling theme. This is an album I would recommend to somebody wanting to get into hard rock.

Offline metaldams

There’s a YouTube channel called “The Contrarians” that I subscribe to.  The concept is they pick an album of a band that is a favorite that is not the usual choice.  If I were on that channel, I would do an episode on YOUTHANASIA.  Yeah, it’s my favorite Megadeth album even though making that statement probably pisses off a lot of metal purists.  Oh well.

I have a ton of personal history, so I’ll admit this colors my perception.  I was 15 when this came out.  I was buying cassettes previous and this was only the second CD I bought.  I bought the special edition box that came with a t shirt of Vic Rattlehead in grim reaper gear holding a baby.  Used to freak the Hell out of my Mom.  The back of the shirt said, “Where the Hell is Megadeth, Arizona?”  Had no clue what that meant at the time, but now I know it was a reference to their website.  This was October, 1994.  Most people did not know about The Internet at the time - Megadeth is the first band ever to have a website.

I remember listening to this CD for the first time in my backyard with my brother and friend and being blown away by every song.  That feeling has not left me.  Every song here is a highlight, no weak tracks in the bunch.  “A Toute Le Monde” gets me every time I hear it.  By the time we get to the final track, “Victory,” with those career spanning lyrics and that killer guitar solo, it really does feel like a victory lap.  This album has hook after hook.  Guitar harmonies all over the place.  Strong lyrics, great riffs, a great, groovier rhythm section.  As far as a riff class, check out the intros to “Train of Consequences” and “The Killing Road.”  Mustaine rhythm guitar playing 101.  Hell, this album is great songwriting 101.

I guess this album just hit me at the right time of my life and it has aged well.  There’s some good stuff ahead and I look forward to revisiting some of the albums after this, but in my opinion, Megadeth peaked here.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

There’s a YouTube channel called “The Contrarians” that I subscribe to.  The concept is they pick an album of a band that is a favorite that is not the usual choice.  If I were on that channel, I would do an episode on YOUTHANASIA.  Yeah, it’s my favorite Megadeth album even though making that statement probably pisses off a lot of metal purists.  Oh well.

I have a ton of personal history, so I’ll admit this colors my perception.  I was 15 when this came out.  I was buying cassettes previous and this was only the second CD I bought.  I bought the special edition box that came with a t shirt of Vic Rattlehead in grim reaper gear holding a baby.  Used to freak the Hell out of my Mom.  The back of the shirt said, “Where the Hell is Megadeth, Arizona?”  Had no clue what that meant at the time, but now I know it was a reference to their website.  This was October, 1994.  Most people did not know about The Internet at the time - Megadeth is the first band ever to have a website.

I remember listening to this CD for the first time in my backyard with my brother and friend and being blown away by every song.  That feeling has not left me.  Every song here is a highlight, no weak tracks in the bunch.  “A Toute Le Monde” gets me every time I hear it.  By the time we get to the final track, “Victory,” with those career spanning lyrics and that killer guitar solo, it really does feel like a victory lap.  This album has hook after hook.  Guitar harmonies all over the place.  Strong lyrics, great riffs, a great, groovier rhythm section.  As far as a riff class, check out the intros to “Train of Consequences” and “The Killing Road.”  Mustaine rhythm guitar playing 101.  Hell, this album is great songwriting 101.

I guess this album just hit me at the right time of my life and it has aged well.  There’s some good stuff ahead and I look forward to revisiting some of the albums after this, but in my opinion, Megadeth peaked here.

I’m so used to reviewing works in the past (usually decades old) that it sometimes is hard for me to grasp that there was a time when it was new. That’s a great story there, it sounds like a nice summer day. I’m curious, what was your first CD purchase? That was some interesting trivia about Megadeth being the first band with a website. I’m not sure if bands use their websites as often anymore; they’d be more likely to share news on Facebook or Twitter.

Offline metaldams

To answer question, my first album on the CD format was Misfits - WALK AMONG US.

Since we’re about to talk CRYPTIC WRITINGS, here is the Philadelphia show from that tour.  A cold as Hell January night and my first Megadeth concert.  Bootleg quality, but glad it still exists.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

"Trust" is one of those songs where I can remember the first time I heard it. It was a snowy night during the late 2000s (so over a decade after the album came out). My mom played the Greatest Hits album on a speaker upstairs and I instantly loved this song. Later during the day it was dark out (because it was winter) and I played on snow banks with my friends, and still had that song stuck in my head.

Most of the songs after that sound like they would fit right in Hardcore 4x4. That is a dirt racing video game I used to play with my brother on the original PlayStation, the music sounds like this and I could think of when hearing this album most of the time is playing that game with these songs. I feel like the album ended strong, though: "She-Wolf", "Vortex" and "FFF" were all pretty good.

Offline metaldams

First off, while technically not a proper album, there was a compilation CD released in 1995 called HIDDEN TRESURES that is a must.  Collects a few movie soundtrack songs and puts them all in one place.  “Angry Again,” “99 Ways to Die” and “Go to Hell” are classics, plus we get some pretty cool Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper covers.  Worth checking out.

CRYTIC WRITINGS is the era where I saw two of my three Megadeth concerts.  1/17/98 in Philadelphia as headliners (see show a couple of posts above) and 7/11/98 in Camden, NJ at Ozzfest 1998 - where Motörhead stole the show.  Both pretty enjoyable experiences and I’m glad I got to see Megadeth with their Mustaine/Ellefson/Friedman/Menza line up.  After this tour, Menza left the band and sadly passed away five years ago on stage of a heart attack playing in a jazz fusion trio with Chris Poland - another former Megadeth member who he was never in the band with.

CRYPTIC WRITINGS is a cool album but my least favorite Megadeth album up to this point.  I think there was a bit of an identity crisis going on.  The first few songs, while good, are clearly being tailored to 90’s radio.  Especially “Use the Man,” which if memory serves me well, was played acoustic at Ozzfest.  I guess you had to be there in the 90’s, but every band seemed to be latching onto the unplugged thing at the time and I guess Megadeth were no exception.  After these radio rock songs, we get a few thrash numbers, some traditional metal, a few more mid paced numbers with the occasional 90’s production touches thrown in.

Identity crisis or not, Mustaine is a great songwriter and there are a lot of cool songs on here.  “I’ll Get Even,” “Disintegrators,” “A Secret Place,” “FFF,” and especially “She Wolf” are all killer.  Those first three tracks are fine as well, but sound very tailored for radio.  A few less memorable songs and I think “Mastermind” is the weakest Megadeth song to this point.  Weak chorus, the vocals seem like Mustaine is phoning it in at certain parts and the rhythm section doesn’t catch fire.

Next album should be really interesting to discuss.  Can’t wait to hear your take on it.  Some history linked to that album concerning another interest if yours.  I wonder if you’re aware.  If you don’t mention it, I will.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

This album is definitely going for a mainstream late 1990s sound, and most of the songs I feel are forgettable. Not terrible, but don't make a lasting impression. Aside from "Breadline", I thought the chorus was unbelievably bland. I did enjoy some of the songs, notably the Middle Eastern influenced opening track "Insomnia",  and my favorite songs on the album: "I'll Be There" and "Wanderlust". Both pretty good songs in a more melodic Megadeth style.

Metaldams made a hint about Megadeth doing something this period, and my guess was WCW, and it turns my hunch was right! I watched a documentary about WCW and the talked about Megadeth performing on Nitro (I assume that is what you were referring to). They played "Crush Em" on the show.

Offline metaldams

I like this album better now than I did at the time of it’s release.  When watching Megadeth on Monday Nitro ( I did see as it happened on TV), I remember thinking both Megadeth and WCW were jumping the shark.  Megadeth playing a faux sports anthem for Goldberg trying to pander to an audience where probably 80% of them don’t get Megadeth, especially in the non metal year of 1999.  In WCW’s case, they were throwing away money - no wonder why they folded a couple of years later.  For the record, I hate “Crush ‘Em,” easily one of my least favorite Megadeth songs.

As a metal album, this thing is a dud which is why so many metal fans hate it.  More straight forward songwriting with experimental sounds thrown in than blazing riffs and guitar solos. But you know what?  Just like the Metallica Load albums, there are really good songs sprinkled throughout.  Mustaine, like James Hetfield, is an incredible songwriter no matter the genre and it shines through on some tracks.  “Breadline” may be radio rock, but I think it’s a great song.  “Time: The Beginning” is one of the most poignant songs Mustaine ever wrote, criminally underrated.  I do enjoy “Insomnia” and “Prince of Darkness” as well.  The middle of the album is just OK, nothing great but nothing offensive.

Dave made this album because Lars Ulrich said in an interview Dave Mustaine doesn’t take musical risks.  This was Dave’s response.  From this point forward, I didn’t get incredibly deep into the albums until DYSTOPIA came out.  I certainly have some familiarity with all of them, but they’re not part of my DNA like the albums we’ve discussed up to this point.  So yeah, I will actually have to give future albums a fresh listen to get a perspective before writing about them.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I like this album better now than I did at the time of it’s release.  When watching Megadeth on Monday Nitro ( I did see as it happened on TV), I remember thinking both Megadeth and WCW were jumping the shark.  Megadeth playing a faux sports anthem for Goldberg trying to pander to an audience where probably 80% of them don’t get Megadeth, especially in the non metal year of 1999.  In WCW’s case, they were throwing away money - no wonder why they folded a couple of years later.  For the record, I hate “Crush ‘Em,” easily one of my least favorite Megadeth songs.

As a metal album, this thing is a dud which is why so many metal fans hate it.  More straight forward songwriting with experimental sounds thrown in than blazing riffs and guitar solos. But you know what?  Just like the Metallica Load albums, there are really good songs sprinkled throughout.  Mustaine, like James Hatfield, is an incredible songwriter no matter the genre and it shines through on some tracks.  “Breadline” may be radio rock, but I think it’s a great song.  “Time: The Beginning” is one of the most poignant songs Mustaine ever wrote, criminally underrated.  I do enjoy “Insomnia” and “Prince of Darkness” as well.  The middle of the album is just OK, nothing great but nothing offensive.

Dave made this album because Lars Ulrich said in an interview Dave Mustaine doesn’t take musical risks.  This was Dave’s response.  From this point forward, I didn’t get incredibly deep into the albums until DYSTOPIA came out.  I certainly have some familiarity with all of them, but they’re not part of my DNA like the albums we’ve discussed up to this point.  So yeah, I will actually have to give future albums a fresh listen to get a perspective before writing about them.
Strange it was considered risky, because the album sounds like late mainstream rock from the period.

Offline HomokHarcos

I felt like this album was a general improvement, even if there were some songs that were just OK. The title track "The World Needs a Hero" I liked a lot, and seemed like a throwback to their earlier music. "1000 Times Goodbye" was a very catchy song, and the final track "When" was a good, long song that didn't feel as long as it was (over 9 minutes). I didn't care too much for 'Promises", which seemed like an attempt to make a more commercial song, but the strings felt out of place. Overall it has a few good songs, but I don't think I'll listen to the whole album over again.

Offline metaldams

I felt like this album was a general improvement, even if there were some songs that were just OK. The title track "The World Needs a Hero" I liked a lot, and seemed like a throwback to their earlier music. "1000 Times Goodbye" was a very catchy song, and the final track "When" was a good, long song that didn't feel as long as it was (over 9 minutes). I didn't care too much for 'Promises", which seemed like an attempt to make a more commercial song, but the strings felt out of place. Overall it has a few good songs, but I don't think I'll listen to the whole album over again.

An OK album, I really don’t think Dave Mustaine had it in him at the time.  After the commercial and critical failure of RISK and losing his record deal with Capitol Records, he half attempts to make a metal album in an environment not suited to such a thing.

Let’s discuss “Disconnect” and especially “When.”  Both are blatant rip offs of the Diamond Head songs “Sucking My Love” and “Am I Evil?,” respectively.  Diamond Head we’re a band that influenced Dave and the guys in Metallica back in the day, Metallica even covering four of their songs for b sides and GARAGE, INC. and they also played these songs live and in rehearsals when Dave was in the band as well.  The latter song is a bit more famous and every metal fan figured it out at the time.  The former only the total nerds on my level were able to figure out, but it’s obvious if you know the song.

Other signs of phoning it in?  We get a direct sequel to “Hangar 18” in “Return to Hangar.”  There’s also “Dread and the Fugitive Mind.”  Kick ass song, but it was released as one of the two new songs on the greatest hits album released shortly before, so this is just a re-recording.

My two favorite songs on the album are definitely “Moto Psycho” and “1,000 Times Goodbye.”  Love both those tracks.  I agree with you about “Promises,” Homok and it was this album where on occasion the prevalence of radio sounding dialogue was thrown into the middle of tracks.  A lot of metal bands would do this and it’s something I can’t stand.  It completely disrupts the flow of the music for me.

So yeah, an interesting release for Megadeth fans, but not for the newbie.  Homok, I would read up on the history of what happened between this album and the next as it’s pretty fascinating.  One thing that happened, albeit briefly - Megadeth broke up.

I did see Megadeth on this tour and it was my last time seeing them.  It was bizarre because they were opening for Motley Crue, of all bands - who were also at their low point.  It was a good show nonetheless,  Mustaine and the boys were great.  I had tickets to see them years later with Slayer and Testament but the tour had to be postponed because Tom Araya of Slayer had to have neck surgery.  I wasn’t able to attend the make up date.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Researching the concert I mentioned, this was well before the album was released.  TWNAH is a 2001 album - I thought it was 2000, which is the concert I saw.  Turns out when I saw them, they were in the middle of recording this album and it was the same album line up.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

An OK album, I really don’t think Dave Mustaine had it in him at the time.  After the commercial and critical failure of RISK and losing his record deal with Capitol Records, he half attempts to make a metal album in an environment not suited to such a thing.

Let’s discuss “Disconnect” and especially “When.”  Both are blatant rip offs of the Diamond Head songs “Sucking My Love” and “Am I Evil?,” respectively.  Diamond Head we’re a band that influenced Dave and the guys in Metallica back in the day, Metallica even covering four of their songs for b sides and GARAGE, INC. and they also played these songs live and in rehearsals when Dave was in the band as well.  The latter song is a bit more famous and every metal fan figured it out at the time.  The former only the total nerds on my level were able to figure out, but it’s obvious if you know the song.

Other signs of phoning it in?  We get a direct sequel to “Hangar 18” in “Return to Hangar.”  There’s also “Dread and the Fugitive Mind.”  Kick ass song, but it was released as one of the two new songs on the greatest hits album released shortly before, so this is just a re-recording.

My two favorite songs on the album are definitely “Moto Psycho” and “1,000 Times Goodbye.”  Love both those tracks.  I agree with you about “Promises,” Homok and it was this album where on occasion the prevalence of radio sounding dialogue was thrown into the middle of tracks.  A lot of metal bands would do this and it’s something I can’t stand.  It completely disrupts the flow of the music for me.

So yeah, an interesting release for Megadeth fans, but not for the newbie.  Homok, I would read up on the history of what happened between this album and the next as it’s pretty fascinating.  One thing that happened, albeit briefly - Megadeth broke up.

I did see Megadeth on this tour and it was my last time seeing them.  It was bizarre because they were opening for Motley Crue, of all bands - who were also at their low point.  It was a good show nonetheless,  Mustaine and the boys were great.  I had tickets to see them years later with Slayer and Testament but the tour had to be postponed because Tom Araya of Slayer had to have neck surgery.  I wasn’t able to attend the make up date.

I'll admit I don't think I've heard of the band Diamond Head, so I wouldn't have noticed the similarities in the music (my brother, who is a much bigger metal fan than I am might know them). I'll read about about their breakup. I'm surprised they did because there's not too big of a gap between this album and their next.

Offline HomokHarcos

A definite improvement over their previous album, the opening track "Blackmail the Universe" is already better than any songs on The World Needs a Hero. "Kick the Chair" is another song I liked a lot from this album. "Of Mice and Men" had a good verse and I loved the instrumentation in the chorus, but Dave Mustaine does a strange vocal style that sounds like to me he's using an effect on. "Something I'm Not" is a simple, but catchy song. "Kick the Chair" was one song I didn't like. It was especially disappointing coming right after the opening track. "Shadow of Death" was more of a filler song.

I actually think this album's standouts were the best in some time for Megadeth, especially "Blackmail the Universe" and "Kick the Chair".

Offline metaldams

A lot has happened between this album and the last one and I remember my head spinning as a result at the time.  If I got it right - Dave gets kidney stones.  Upon treatment, he gets a relapse with his drug addiction so goes to rehab.  In rehab, he sleeps on his arm in some way that causes severe nerve damage where he can’t play guitar anymore.  He breaks Megadeth up, only to get his arm in good health to relearn the guitar,  he records THE SYSTEM HAS FAILED, which is supposed to be a solo album.  Since he owes EMI one more Megadeth album in Europe, this gets labeled a Megadeth album and Mustaine says this is Megadeth’s farewell as after this he will embark on a solo career.  Megadeth continues on to this day.  Oh yeah, throw in the fact Dave Mustaine gets sued by now ex bassist David Ellefson for 18 million dollars (the lawsuit gets thrown out) and Dave converts to Christianity and we have an interesting few years.

This is a pretty good album.  Since Megadeth were not really a band at this point, Dave was working with a bunch of hired hands.  One of them was ex Megadeth guitarist Chris Poland!  Pretty cool!

I’d say this is the most consistent album since YOUTHANASIA.  Dave didn’t seem to be trying for radio hits anymore and just stuck to what he does best - write catchy harder metal songs with great guitar.

As far as the “strange vocal style,” I agree Homok.  I noticed it at the time of release and it was the one thing that stopped me from getting into this album as much as I should’ve.  I just gave this a fresh listen today and the songs are really good for the most part, but my guess, and this is only a guess, is auto tune is being used.  It’s 2004, the technology was a few years old, so it wouldn’t shock me.

The songs though are really good for the most part.  “Die Dead Enough,” “Kick the Chair,” “The Scorpion” and “Of Mice and Men” are fantastic, but my absolute favorite is “Back in the Day.”  An ode to the old guard metal militia which felt so refreshing back in 2004.  That galloping middle section is unbelievably catchy.

From here on out, Megadeth are pretty much an established legendary band.  The youthful hunger is gone but the maturity and chops are present, like most classic metal bands the past twenty years.  Yeah, we’ll get the occasional hiccup, but Dave mostly seems to know who he is and writes good material appropriate to his unique talent.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

A lot has happened between this album and the last one and I remember my head spinning as a result at the time.  If I got it right - Dave gets kidney stones.  Upon treatment, he gets a relapse with his drug addiction so goes to rehab.  In rehab, he sleeps on his arm in some way that causes severe nerve damage where he can’t play guitar anymore.  He breaks Megadeth up, only to get his arm in good health to relearn the guitar,  he records THE SYSTEM HAS FAILED, which is supposed to be a solo album.  Since he owes EMI one more Megadeth album in Europe, this gets labeled a Megadeth album and Mustaine says this is Megadeth’s farewell as after this he will embark on a solo career.  Megadeth continues on to this day.  Oh yeah, throw in the fact Dave Mustaine gets sued by now ex bassist David Ellefson for 18 million dollars (the lawsuit gets thrown out) and Dave converts to Christianity and we have an interesting few years.

This is a pretty good album.  Since Megadeth were not really a band at this point, Dave was working with a bunch of hired hands.  One of them was ex Megadeth guitarist Chris Poland!  Pretty cool!

I’d say this is the most consistent album since YOUTHANASIA.  Dave didn’t seem to be trying for radio hits anymore and just stuck to what he does best - write catchy harder metal songs with great guitar.

As far as the “strange vocal style,” I agree Homok.  I noticed it at the time of release and it was the one thing that stopped me from getting into this album as much as I should’ve.  I just gave this a fresh listen today and the songs are really good for the most part, but my guess, and this is only a guess, is auto tune is being used.  It’s 2004, the technology was a few years old, so it wouldn’t shock me.

The songs though are really good for the most part.  “Die Dead Enough,” “Kick the Chair,” “The Scorpion” and “Of Mice and Men” are fantastic, but my absolute favorite is “Back in the Day.”  An ode to the old guard metal militia which felt so refreshing back in 2004.  That galloping middle section is unbelievably catchy.

From here on out, Megadeth are pretty much an established legendary band.  The youthful hunger is gone but the maturity and chops are present, like most classic metal bands the past twenty years.  Yeah, we’ll get the occasional hiccup, but Dave mostly seems to know who he is and writes good material appropriate to his unique talent.
I know how it feels to sleep on your arm and hurt it, I didn't know the pain could last that long though. By this point they were probably trying to do crowd pleasers, so I wonder if their albums after will be similar.