Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ants in the Pantry (1936)

metaldams · 29 · 13635

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Paul Pain finally reviews this short after 7 years of polluting this forum. 

ANTS IN THE PANTRY is an extremely clever short even if some of the gags are done better in other shorts or by other comedians.  It is 7 years late, but I would guess that A. Mouser was supposed to sit on the bear trap and that the scene was cut from final production.  If they had included this, the short could have ended with the fox-hunt dance line and used the stock footage of the fox hunt as the closing transition to the credits.

The piano scene is an almost comic legend.  Genius went into this one... sheer genius.  As a pianist, I was laughing and crying at the same time.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline I. Cheatam

The last shot when the horse faints after smelling the skunks always cracks me up, as Curly just stands there baffled.

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Another "average Curly" effort.  I just never found the whole premise (planting pests in the house) that funny - seems more cruel than humorous to me.

#121. Ants In The Pantry

Offline metaldams

Fox hunting gag, comedian picks up a skunk thinking it’s a fox and puts it in a bag.  People smell the bag and faint.  In addition to ANTS IN THE PANTRY, also in the 1919 Lloyd Hamilton short HIS MUSICAL SNEEZE.  Both directed by Jack White.
- Doug Sarnecky