Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Harold Lloyd Estate YouTube channel

Offline falsealarms

The Harold Lloyd Estate has launched a YouTube channel, and there's a growing array of goodies on there - including, most importantly, some films remastered in 1080p.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4A3IJ4FssK3b7SeXc2kMMw

Here's 2 of the several films on there. Stooge fans will recognize someone in the second video thumbnail....

Offline metaldams

Excellent.  I just subscribed and will check out the channel in depth this weekend.  They did a good job all those years ago releasing the 20’s and 30’s output in that DVD set and since released some of it on blu ray - but more restored one reelers from the teens, even if just on YouTube, will be welcomed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Excellent.  I just subscribed and will check out the channel in depth this weekend.  They did a good job all those years ago releasing the 20’s and 30’s output in that DVD set and since released some of it on blu ray - but more restored one reelers from the teens, even if just on YouTube, will be welcomed.

I just watched THE MARATHON - what a great one reeler! Energetic, fast paced, and a score that hits it right on the mark. I can totally picture being in the theatre back in the 1919 with a score like that.

Offline metaldams

I just watched THE MARATHON - what a great one reeler! Energetic, fast paced, and a score that hits it right on the mark. I can totally picture being in the theatre back in the 1919 with a score like that.

Cool.  I think I’ll be reviewing some very soon.  THE MARATHON is one I haven’t seen and will watch this weekend.  This channel is even posting the major stuff like THE KID BROTHER in best quality editions - very awesome.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I just watched a bunch of the one reelers.  This channel is a big deal and should be huge news to Harold Lloyd fans.  These films look incredible and most of the one reelers posted I either haven’t seen before or if I have, looking nowhere near as good as this.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Except for that terrible half-hour series titled "Harold Lloyd's World of Comedy" (which aired on some local PBS stations), it was virtually impossible to see Lloyd's classic films in the 1970s and '80s. I'm glad this YouTube channel exists.

Offline metaldams

Except for that terrible half-hour series titled "Harold Lloyd's World of Comedy" (which aired on some local PBS stations), it was virtually impossible to see Lloyd's classic films in the 1970s and '80s. I'm glad this YouTube channel exists.

I got into Harold Lloyd in 2002 when TCM started showing his films.  That’s when things started turning around.  It probably wasn’t impossible to see a select few of his films before that, especially when VHS started, but much harder than now.  In the 70’s and 80’s, yes, I’ve heard horror stories from fans about how hard his work was to see, you’re right about that.

This YouTube channel makes things even better.  Yes, a lot of the one reelers were around on YouTube before - but not looking like this.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Yes, a lot of the one reelers were around on YouTube before - but not looking like this.

Unlike Charlie Chaplin (who had no control over his pre-1918 work), Lloyd owned the copyright to most of his films while carefully preserving the original prints and negatives. There were a few exceptions such as "The Milky Way" (1936) and "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock" (1947), which entered the public domain years ago. Sadly, many of Lloyd's pre-1920 shorts perished in a film-vault fire on his Greenacres estate.

https://haroldlloyd.us/the-films/the-state-of-the-lloyd-films/

Offline Dr. Mabuse

NBCUniversal owns the copyright to Lloyd's penultimate film.

And here is a link to the rarely seen "Mad Wednesday" re-edit of "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock," the copyright now owned by WarnerMedia.

https://vimeo.com/467947263

Offline metaldams

Unlike Charlie Chaplin (who had no control over his pre-1918 work), Lloyd owned the copyright to most of his films while carefully preserving the original prints and negatives. There were a few exceptions such as "The Milky Way" (1936) and "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock" (1947), which entered the public domain years ago. Sadly, many of Lloyd's pre-1920 shorts perished in a film-vault fire on his Greenacres estate.

https://haroldlloyd.us/the-films/the-state-of-the-lloyd-films/

That link is a good list of the films The Trust owns that I guess we can hope to see on the YouTube channel.

Yeah, definitely aware of Harold owning his films and preserving them, a good thing for sure.  His granddaughter Suzanne has done a wonderful job with the release of the features and two and three reelers and this YouTube channel may just be the icing on the cake.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

That link is a good list of the films The Trust owns that I guess we can hope to see on the YouTube channel.

Yeah, definitely aware of Harold owning his films and preserving them, a good thing for sure.  His granddaughter Suzanne has done a wonderful job with the release of the features and two and three reelers and this YouTube channel may just be the icing on the cake.
Is a shame a fire destroyed most of the one reel comedies, because Lloyd was one of the rare people back then that actively tried to keep most of his films.

Offline metaldams

Is a shame a fire destroyed most of the one reel comedies, because Lloyd was one of the rare people back then that actively tried to keep most of his films.

It’s the early Lonesome Luke films that have suffered the most.  A small percentage of those survive.  The glasses one reelers, while there are still too many missing, have a much, much greater survival rate, fortunately.  A majority of those survive.

What is the biggest miracle is Chaplin and Keaton only have one lost silent film a piece, and it’s a Keystone and an Arbuckle collaboration.

The biggest stinger for me is Harry Langdon’s HEART TROUBLE.  An actual feature from a major comedian.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

It’s the early Lonesome Luke films that have suffered the most.  A small percentage of those survive.  The glasses one reelers, while there are still too many missing, have a much, much greater survival rate, fortunately.  A majority of those survive.

What is the biggest miracle is Chaplin and Keaton only have one lost silent film a piece, and it’s a Keystone and an Arbuckle collaboration.

The biggest stinger for me is Harry Langdon’s HEART TROUBLE.  An actual feature from a major comedian.
Hats Off and Heart Trouble are the two major ones for me.

Offline metaldams

Hats Off and Heart Trouble are the two major ones for me.

Oh yes, HATS OFF.  Definitely a major loss, agreed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

A Chaplin Keystone film no one knew existed until a 16mm print was discovered in 2010.

Offline HomokHarcos

A Chaplin Keystone film no one knew existed until a 16mm print was discovered in 2010.

I was in a virtual group with the person who discovered that A Thief Catcher. He found it at an auction. He didn't know Chaplin was in this movie until he watched it, most likely since it was early in his career and he wasn't the lead, he was not mentioned in the trade papers.

Offline metaldams

I read or heard Chaplin made a claim he was a Keystone Cop.  For years no historian believed him - until this film was discovered.
- Doug Sarnecky