Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Greatest supporting actors for different comedians?

Offline HomokHarcos

I've decided to go through a bunch of classic film comedians state who I think is either their most iconic or greatest supporting actor. Feel free to disagree or discuss or any other ones you think are worthy.

Mabel Normand: Charlie Chaplin (technically Mabel was supposed to be the star in the films, they had her name in the title after all)
Roscoe Arbucke: Buster Keaton
Charlie Chaplin: Eric Campbell (honorable mention to Paulette Goddard)
W.C. Fields: Kathleen Howard
Abbott and Costello: Sidney Fields
Harry Langdon: Vernon Dent
Buster Keaton: Jimmy Durante (Probably not necessarily his best. I just don't remember his supporting casts too well, but I certainly remember Durante in his movies)
Harold Lloyd: Jobyna Ralston
Marx Brothers: Margaret Dumont (obviously)
Bob Hope: Dorothy Lamour
The Three Stooges: Emil Sitka (I probably would have stated Vernon Dent, but I put him with Harry Langdon instead. Emil was also the only actor to work with all four of the third stooges, and a definitely honorable mention to Christine McIntyre).
Charley Chase: Thelma Todd
Laurel and Hardy: James Finlayson (honorable mentions to Anita Garvin and Mae Busch)
Our Gang: June Marlowe as Miss Crabtree
Wheeler and Woolsey: Dorothy Lee

Offline metaldams

I've decided to go through a bunch of classic film comedians state who I think is either their most iconic or greatest supporting actor. Feel free to disagree or discuss or any other ones you think are worthy.

Mabel Normand: Charlie Chaplin (technically Mabel was supposed to be the star in the films, they had her name in the title after all)
Roscoe Arbucke: Buster Keaton
Charlie Chaplin: Eric Campbell (honorable mention to Paulette Goddard)
Buster Keaton: Jimmy Durante (Probably not necessarily his best. I just don't remember his supporting casts too well, but I certainly remember Durante in his movies)
Marx Brothers: Margaret Dumont (obviously)
Bob Hope: Dorothy Lamour
The Three Stooges: Emil Sitka (I probably would have stated Vernon Dent, but I put him with Harry Langdon instead. Emil was also the only actor to work with all four of the third stooges, and a definitely honorable mention to Christine McIntyre).
Charley Chase: Thelma Todd
Laurel and Hardy: James Finlayson (honorable mentions to Anita Garvin and Mae Busch)
Our Gang: June Marlowe as Miss Crabtree

Buster Keaton: Joe Roberts

Charlie Chaplin:  Eric Campbell

Roscoe Arbuckle: Buster Keaton

Laurel and Hardy: James Finlayson - though too many tough choices here

Marx Brothers: Zeppo....uh, I mean Margaret Dumont

Mabel Normand: Roscoe Arbuckle, who she had way more chemistry on screen chemistry with than Chaplin, off screen may be another story

Three Stooges: Vernon Dent - Sitka was great but also appeared with Curly for a cup of coffee.

Bob Hope - Dorothy Lamour
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Mabel Normand: Roscoe Arbuckle
Charlie Chaplin: Eric Campbell
W.C. Fields: N/A (I tried watching THE DENTIST, but, I’m sorry, I just didn’t find it funny and didn’t finish it. I’ll try giving it another chance sometime soon).
Buster Keaton: Brown Eyes the Cow Ernest Torrence
The Marx Brothers: Margaret Dumont, with Sig Ruman probably at a close second
Bob Hope: Jerry Colonna (I only really ever listen to Hope’s radio program and even then it’s mostly just to listen to Colonna)
The Three Stooges: Bud Jamison
Charley Chase: John T. Murray
Laurel and Hardy: Billy Gilbert
Our Gang: N/A (I’ve seen some OUR GANG shorts, but not enough to remember the supporting players)
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Mabel Normand: Roscoe Arbuckle
Charlie Chaplin: Eric Campbell
W.C. Fields: N/A (I tried watching THE DENTIST, but, I’m sorry, I just didn’t find it funny and didn’t finish it. I’ll try giving it another chance sometime soon).
Buster Keaton: Brown Eyes the Cow Ernest Torrence
The Marx Brothers: Margaret Dumont, with Sig Ruman probably at a close second
Bob Hope: Jerry Colonna (I only really ever listen to Hope’s radio program and even then it’s mostly just to listen to Colonna)
The Three Stooges: Bud Jamison
Charley Chase: John T. Murray
Laurel and Hardy: Billy Gilbert
Our Gang: N/A (I’ve seen some OUR GANG shorts, but not enough to remember the supporting players)

The Dentist is Fields at his most unsubtle and vulgar.  I’d try hunting down It’s A Gift.  If that film doesn’t do it for you, then I’d give up on Fields.  It’s A Gift, as rough around the edges Fields is, also has some heart and is just plain funny.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

I was sleeping with the TV on, woke up and there was Shemp, younger and friskier than I ever saw him in his 1940s roles. He was doing a bit with a very small but solid chick and man! They were physical . She must have been a Vaudville specialty act type because she was totally athletic and  I don't  remember ever seeing her before in anything. The bit I saw had this little chick running and flying through the air and hip smashing Shemp, who was called Moe in the scene, off a park bench to the ground HARD!

fell back to sleep before the closing credits. Who WAS she??? The movie or short looked to be from between 1934 - 1936 and the woman was about 40 or more. She was a full head shorter than Shemp and fair haired. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

One more thing: it struck me as maybe a Monogram or some other small studio flick as none of the other players were familiar to me.

Offline metaldams

I was sleeping with the TV on, woke up and there was Shemp, younger and friskier than I ever saw him in his 1940s roles. He was doing a bit with a very small but solid chick and man! They were physical . She must have been a Vaudville specialty act type because she was totally athletic and  I don't  remember ever seeing her before in anything. The bit I saw had this little chick running and flying through the air and hip smashing Shemp, who was called Moe in the scene, off a park bench to the ground HARD!

fell back to sleep before the closing credits. Who WAS she??? The movie or short looked to be from between 1934 - 1936 and the woman was about 40 or more. She was a full head shorter than Shemp and fair haired. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

One more thing: it struck me as maybe a Monogram or some other small studio flick as none of the other players were familiar to me.

Sounds like you’re talking about Daphne Pollard.  They made a few shorts together.  PEACH OF A PAIR is a classic.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

Sounds like you’re talking about Daphne Pollard.  They made a few shorts together.  PEACH OF A PAIR is a classic.
LOL I was rushing back here to say never mind because a search of Shemp on IMB showed he played "Smokin' Moe" with her. Then I checked out a short that may have inspired that WC Fields dentist bit  when she put Edgar Kennedy in a leg scissors...around his neck! What a little spitfire  :laugh:

Offline HomokHarcos

I somehow forgot about Jackie Coogan when I made this list earlier, his performance in the Kid might be the most memorable supporting character in a Chaplin film.