Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

South of the Boudoir (1940) - Charley Chase

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033084/

SOUTH OF THE BOUDOIR is sad because it was the last short released before the death of Charles Parrott, better known as Charley Chase.  After this one was released, Charley, depressed over his brother's death, drank himself into a fatal heart attack at the age of 46.  Comedy lost one of its funniest men ever.

Sadly, SOUTH OF THE BOUDOIR just doesn't do it for me.  It has funny moments indeed.  It, like THE CHUMP TAKES A BUMP, has the domestic plot of Charley's morally corrupt boss wrecking the home.  But, unlike the earlier short, this one isn't as funny.

Also, this short is best known as the Elmer Fudd episode.  Yes, that's right, Charley's boss, Mr. Bailey, is played by Arthur Q. Bryan, best known as Elmer Fudd.  He does excellent in his only Columbia short and even uses the Fudd voice.

Lord Heath has a great analysis here: http://www.lordheath.com/menu1_1500.html

Like metaldams, I am not a big fan of these redundant domestic scenes.  It's a sad short knowing Charley's imminent despise, but oh you can tell he loved his job even if his personal life was horrid.

This is a top notch production from an excellent cast, excellent production, and excellent direction.  The fantastically skilled-hands made this possible.  Without them, this would be junk.  I say this even though Helen Lynd might be the worst-voiced actress in the history of acting, possibly ever.

The best moments are Charley's increasing rage at watching his wife effectively cheat on him, the bouncing angry phone, and the dish-smashing contest.  A lot of this works because Ann Doran and Charley now work so well together.  They gel well enough to lift a short by their cooperation.

8/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Prior to reviewing all of these, this was the only one of the Columbia Chase shorts I had seen, and, yes, it was because of the presence of a Looney Tunes voice actor (although it’s worth noting that A WILD HARE had not premiered yet, so Bryan’s use of the Elmer voice is probably more of a reference to his role on THE GROUCH CLUB than his role as Elmer).

As far as the short goes, it’s pretty good. From what I can recall, this is Ann Doran at her most violent in these shorts. I mean, come on, she literally shoots at her husband at the very end (though, in her defense, he did give her the gun to shoot herself with, so he’s definitely no saint). I actually quite like how violent she is here. It’s kind of like watching Mae Busch in THE BOHEMIAN GIRL; she’s just so over-the-top in how mean she is that it is actually funny.

While I agree her voice isn’t exactly the most pleasant to listen to here, I do like how obvious Helen Lynd makes it that she isn’t Mrs. Chase, even though Bailey can’t see it. I really like the scene where she gets the package and doesn’t immediately realize that she has to open it. Most of the gags here are good: Chase and Bryan falling, Chase getting his tie stuck in the meat grinder, Doran throwing the box at Chase. The only part I’m not a fan of is the dish dropping scene. It’s just not very funny and goes on for quite a while.

Not quite as good as THE CHUMP TAKES A BUMP, but SOUTH OF THE BOUDOIR still has enough good moments in it that it’s worth checking out.

8 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Yes, Arthur Q. Bryan.  I also know him from the 1940 Bela Lugosi camp classic, THE DEVIL BAT.  A film that has Suzanne Kaaren as the leading lady.  In this short and that film, there’s no escaping it, when I hear the guy talk, all I can think of is Elmer Fudd.

A pretty entertaining domestic comedy.  I do like the fact they have Chase as a working married man as opposed to being a young up and comer wooing the young girl, he just seems better suited for this kind of thing at this point in his life.  While I’ve made no secret I feel Bess Flowers would make a good on screen wife for him, Ann Doran does a fine job here.  She really does have a lot of violent energy and adds much to the film.  Her and Chase did become a good team.  Helen Lynd is also enjoyable.  Her voice is OK, it screams I’m ditzy and I’m from Brooklyn.  She looks cute, she acts cute in a comic way and it is especially funny in the end it’s revealed her on screen husband is Bud Jamison.

This domestic comedy works better for me because for once there are not multiple hiding in the closet, hiding under the bed, dressing in drag and endless chase cliches.  This is for the most part a nice vehicle for all four principal characters to shine and bring their own individual touches.  They all do a fine job and I really enjoy this short.
- Doug Sarnecky