Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

KENTUCKY KERNELS (1934) - Coming to Blu-Ray!

Offline falsealarms

In a very unexpected development, Warner Archive is bringing Wheeler and Woolsey's KENTUCKY KERNELS to Blu-Ray.

No exact release date yet.

https://www.facebook.com/warnerarchive/photos/a.275238161562/10158852936816563/?type=3&theater

NEW 2020 1080p master from 4K scan of original nitrate camera negative!
KENTUCKY KERNELS (1934)
Run Time 75:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 25

BONUS CONTENT: Vintage 1934 cartoons BUDDY’S CIRCUS (HD), Popeye in THE DANCE CONTEST (HD), Popeye in SOCK-A-BYE BABY (HD)

Bert Wheeler and Robert Woolsey team up with Our Gang star “Spanky” McFarland in this riotous slapstick comedy, from director George Stevens. Out-of-work vaudevillians Willie (Wheeler) and Elmer (Woolsey) somehow become Spanky’s guardians and think they’ve come into a fortune when Spanky inherits a farm in Kentucky. What they don’t know is that the farm sits directly in the line of fire in a feud between the Milfords and the Wakefields. Now, as Willie falls in love with the beautiful Gloria Wakefield (Mary Carlisle) and the pair manage to arrange a truce, young Spanky reignites the war between the two families. It all adds up to “a good vehicle for the team with a great slapstick finale” (Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide).

Offline metaldams

Saw this on TCM years ago.  I can’t think of any reason why they’d release this one versus other films other than the Spanky factor.  Not a bad film but there are others I like better.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Saw this on TCM years ago.  I can’t think of any reason why they’d release this one versus other films other than the Spanky factor.  Not a bad film but there are others I like better.

While any W&W in Blu is great, I'd much rather see another title like PEACH O RENO or HIP, HIPS HOORAY.

Offline falsealarms

A glowing review from It Came From the Bottom Shelf, especially in terms of the pristine video quality.

https://bottomshelfmovies.com/kentucky-kernels-1934/

I'm still stunned that a Wheeler and Woolsey film got a 4K restoration and Blu-Ray release but keep them coming!

Kentucky Kernels is not one of the W&W films that I've seen but eager to check it out.