Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

King Kong (1933) - Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong, Bruce Cabot

Offline metaldams

It’s the 1933 original version of KING KONG.  This movie rules.  Review over.  Well...I could leave it at that and most of you would probably agree.  Besides, what more can I add that hasn’t already been said?  This movie has been talked about a ton over the decades.  I’ll say what I’m gonna say anyway because I love this movie and I need to work on developing my carpal tunnel syndrome a little more.  But yeah, this movie has got everything you can ask for in a monster movie.  An awesome monster who gets to fight other monsters as well as humans - who I guess are monsters too.  Art direction, scenery and atmosphere up the wazoo.  Two leading men who are interesting - one a fascinating go getter (Carl Denham as played by Robert Armstrong) and the other who balances action believably and romance in a pleasantly comic “aw shucks” type manner (Bruce Cabot as Jack Driscoll).  Finally, there’s the leading lady herself, Fay Wray as Ann Darrow.  Disclaimer - this reviewer has a hopelessly geeky monster kid crush on her, so this review of Ms. Wray, plus any future review I do of a film she appears in, will be bias.

The first half of this film is story and character building and the second half is action.  I think this build up works perfectly.  First half we learn that Carl Denham is a film maker who shoots exotic jungle films that involve real life danger in filming them.  Sort of a precursor to dangerous reality TV and very much inspired by one of KING KONG’s actual producers, Merian C. Cooper, who filmed silent era films of that exact type like GRASS and CHANG.  After learning of his risky nature to make a movie, we also learn he needs to find a female lead to give the public what they want.  After a theatrical agent refuses to find a lady for Denham and put her at such risk, he goes on the streets of New York himself and runs into Ann Darrow as she’s trying to steal fruit, establishing she is desperate.  We learn she has no family and has a sense of adventure in her but also shows just a hint of caution.  Denham then assures her of his strictly business intentions, a way of giving both characters some dignity and letting the audience know there are no Harvey Weinstein shenanigans in this relationship.  They go on the ship and Darrow meets first mate Jack Driscoll to establish the love interest of the film.  Just the right combination of believability and comedy in their courtship to entertain the audience.  Also never overtakes the fact we’re here to watch a giant ape film, but there’s enough romance to add flavor and depth to the story.  Well done.

The ship then gets to Skull Island where we get the first real spectacle of the film - the giant sacrificial gathering of native islanders in front of the wall that separates them from Kong.  Dramatic music, drums, torches, chants and wonderful art direction.  The wall itself looks really cool (and later used in the Bela Lugosi serial, THE RETURN OF CHANDU), giant with a huge wooden door containing a giant piece of wood in the middle bolting the door so Kong won’t break free.  The king of the natives is played by Noble Johnson, a man who appears in so many old horror films, but never with a bigger role than here.  He never gets a line of English and makes quite a memorable presence.  After the crew realizes the natives want to trade six of their women for Ann so she can be sacrificed to Kong, the crew gets away back on the ship.  Later that night, a few natives sneak on board and capture Ann.  Once the crew realizes where Ann is, they go back to the island, but not before the natives take her to the sacrificial alter of Kong.  The rest of the film, from this point forward, is mostly glorious action in wonderful jungle or city settings.  Truly classic stuff that any old school monster fan has loved for decades.

Kong himself is awesome.  He, and all the other creatures, were done by stop motion animation using miniature creatures.  It’s a technique that was able to give Kong not only a cool look, but a wide array of real emotions and actions, giving the character depth instead of just some one dimensional killer like in so many other films of this type.  There are so many great examples.  There’s the way he meticulously toys with the T-Rex’s jaw after he kills it then picks up Ann, a close up revealing a big toothy smile on his face.  He similarly toys with the head of the snake as well to make sure it’s dead.  Whenever he’s being attacked, like the gas bomb or being shot at on top of the Empire State Building, he grasps his wounds and his movements become slower.  He tends to treat human being like toys.  It reminds me of a cat playing with his favorite stuffed animal.  Examples of this are the way he toys with those men hanging on the log before they one by one, fall to their death below.  Most famously, there’s the way he undresses Ann.  He peels off enough clothing to make it sexy but not so much to annoy the 1933 censors.  The post 1934 censors thought it too much, as this scene was censored during the code era.  He also sticks his finger on her stomach like he’s “coochie-coochie cooing” a baby and even....sniffs his fingers.  I guess he liked her perfume.  So yes, a few comical touches, but overall, Kong seems as fleshed out as a giant ape can be.

The Ann Darrow character is well done.  Unlike the 2005 version, she does not become infatuated with Kong and have an ice skating scene with him, thank God.  Ann Darrow is being carried around by a giant ape and is rightfully scared.  Fay Wray has appeared in other horror movies before KING KONG (and always with darker hair instead of the blonde she portrays here), and at this point it was established she had the best scream in the business.  She puts it to great use here and like I stated, she plays the perfect blend of being frightened when called for and being adventurous when appropriate.  Another very fleshed out character in what could easily be a one dimensional role.  Fay Wray always added her beauty, personality and acting chops to any film I’ve seen her in and is my favorite 30’s horror leading lady.

The action scenes themselves, all awesome.  The battle with the T-Rex and the snake, all great stuff.  Riveting action scenes where my eyes never leave the screen.  Love the man eating brontosaurus in the water and just the screams of all the victims throughout the film are very effective, adding to the horror.  Love the random close ups of Kong chewing on his screaming victims and I’m so glad that native kid got saved.  Leave children and kitty cats alone.  Anybody else is fair game in a horror film, Metaldams rule number 42.  Once on the streets of New York, trains with passengers get wrecked, a woman falls from Kong’s hand to the ground below, Kong climbs buildings with gusto and takes poor Ms. Darrow with him.  She really is his favorite toy, as any other human gets crushed.  Then there’s the infamous shots of him climbing the Empire State Building.  One of those iconic pop culture moments that speaks for itself, I have nothing to add. 

How any fan of 30’s monster movies can dislike KING KONG is beyond me.  Awesome foggy and atmospheric jungle settings.  A great story with a beauty and the beast theme, and the beauty is the easily likable Fay Wray.  Kong and a variety of other monsters battling each other, what’s not to like?  I also think KING KONG was about twenty years ahead of its time.  Films with giant monsters and insects wouldn’t really follow KING KONG until the fifties and are still being made to this day.  One of those perfect films, it’s KING KONG, the original and most entertaining of them all.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"The Eighth Wonder of the World!"

More than 87 years since its initial release, "King Kong" (1933) remains the monster epic by which all other films are measured. Often remade yet never surpassed, it represents a one-of-a-kind landmark in cinema history, with remarkable visual effects by Willis O'Brien and Max Steiner's classic score. Accept no substitutes.

10/10