Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Spider Baby (1967) - Lon Chaney, Jr.

Offline metaldams

Gotta thank Shemp_Diesel for suggesting this one because until now SPIDER BABY is a movie I have never seen.  Fortunately there’s a really nice print of this one on YouTube so I’m able to watch and review it.  As somebody who has reviewed a ton of older movies, you will hear me mention the term “pre-code” a lot when there is racy material for the time in a movie from the early thirties.  I will also mention how said material would not be allowed in a film a few years later.  SPIDER BABY, being released in December of 1967, has about the opposite effect.  The code 100% loosened later in 1968, and SPIDER BABY is no doubt an exploitation of its time.  This shows almost as much sex and gore as one can show in a 1967 film, but if released one year later, you gotta think there’d be some nudity and more blood.  As it stands, we get lingerie and a fake looking ear being lobbed off.  Anyway you slice it, SPIDER BABY is a really fun exploitation film that pays tribute to a few other old horror films and serves as a great late in life vehicle for Lon Chaney, Jr.

The basic premise of SPIDER BABY is Lon Chaney, Jr. plays caretaker to a family of young kids (I guess they’re supposed to be teens, the real life actors were in their twenties), two of them young girls and the other a tall, bald awkward looking guy who suffer from “Merrye Syndrome,” a disease where in late childhood the brain starts to regress to early childhood and beyond to an even more primitive state.  “Merrye Syndrome” is exclusive to this family and causes one of the daughters to eat spiders and kill others as if she’s a spider herself.  The tall guy looks like one of the pinheads from FREAKS and is a mute who kills animals and is a basic sexual miscreant.  He’s also played by the recently deceased Sid Haig, who I got a total kick seeing when so young.  I’m really used to seeing him in Rob Zombie movies much later in life.  Anyway, the kids are being threatened to be put in a home and there’s an Aunt and Uncle trying to get the fortune of the family in the process, so they stay over the haunted house. 

The house itself is very isolated and spooky, like something straight out of PSYCHO.  Heck, the dead father even shows up at one point as a character the family converses with in skeletal form, leading more credence to a PSYCHO influence.  You guys will find with me, atmosphere is very important to a good horror movie and this deserted spooky house has atmosphere in spades.  Spider webs, darkness with just the right amount of subtle lightning, basements where bodies can be dragged into and mauled, a dumbwaiter to transport bodies - just a really cool looking place.  Can’t stress enough, the shots of the demented daughters hands grabbing ankles of victims from the floor below is really awesome.  Being barely a code film, any violence had to be more subtle than it could be say six months later.  Stuff like the hands reaching under is great, but with the exception of one Mantan Moreland ear on the ground, not much is shown in a slasher sense.  Compare this to NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, released not much later and notice how much gorier the latter is.  Still, I think SPIDER BABY works well with the limits of its time and as someone who likes older horror films anyway, gore is not a necessity for me.  Still, I can’t help but notice, for the time the film was made, they were so close to being able to do more in that department.

The sexual exploitation also rears its head in SPIDER BABY.  This is very important because it really is an example of where horror films were headed.  By the 70’s, so many horror films had either some sex or nudity in them to the point where it became cliche.  SPIDER BABY again just missed the point where they could have shown more.  One of the young daughters ties up Quinn Redeker (THE THREE STOOGES MEETS HERCULES) as if in a spider web in a kinky almost S&M like scenario.  She at times wanted to kill him and at times seemed to want to do something else - she couldn’t make up her mind, very demented.  Then there’s forty year old Carol Ohmart (HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL).  She plays an in law trying to get that money.  Being an exploitation film, being in a creepy house where the family eats spiders and cats and has a mute imbecile ogling her doesn’t stop her from feeling it’s safe to be alone in her room at night, parading around in a bra, silky robe, garter belt and black stockings just for the heck of it.  I mean ladies, wouldn’t you do the same thing?  Just an excuse to show the audience she’s quite attractive.  Sid Haig crawls from the top of the house down into the window of her room like a spider, a very cool scene and this leads to him and the daughters chasing her around in a field outdoors, still in lingerie, of course.  Sid gets her before the daughters and rapes her - again done much more subtlety than would have been done a few years later.  Later in the film, she comes back possessed with passion as if she likes what just happened to her and claws and scratches people in the process.  Really doesn’t make too much sense, but anybody who watches a movie like this expecting Shakespeare is watching the wrong genre anyway.

Then of course, there’s Lon Chaney, Jr.  At Universal, while not bad, I think in a lot of films he was either too restrained or not given enough to do.  The latter roles of his I have seen seem to have an edge his earlier roles don’t and SPIDER BABY is no exception.  I don’t know if it’s the weight gain, the sideburns, the gleam in his eyes or what, but Chaney is really on fire here and other later roles I rarely see at Universal.  He toes the line of caring for these demented children, making excuses for them, lecturing how hate is bad while putting up with their murderous actions all while giving the impression all is not right with him either.  The scene where he’s tearing up telling the children he has to go for a few minutes to get them a toy is really a great bit of acting.  I won’t give too much more away other than to say towards the end, creatures crawl out of the basement that look straight out of ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, very cool.

There is also an extra plot twist that ends this film I won’t give away other than to say it’s very satisfying.  A different era than what I normally review, I will review some other latter horror films in addition to the classic era stuff.  SPIDER BABY is a very entertaining late code era horror film on the cusp of a new era just ahead.  A great late life role for Lon Chaney, Jr.; perhaps this is his TARGETS, if not thematically, then at least quality wise?  Well, they do get a few WOLF MAN references in, so maybe the analogy is not that far off.  Anyway, if you like this era of horror and are a Lon Chaney, Jr. fan, I highly suggest SPIDER BABY.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I usually get selective about some of Lon's later roles in the 60s & totally avoid his last movie Dracula vs Frankenstein--too sad and depressing for me to watch. But in the 60s--in amongst some of his International Pictures like La Casa Del Terror--there's quite a few gems to be found & Spider-Baby definitely is the best one I've viewed the handful of times I've watched it. Maybe in my top 10 for Lon Chaney Jr., putting it up there with the well-remembered Universal classics.

The sets, the cast, all superb & I already thought Quinn Redeker was one of the more likeable leads in "Hercules," and he plays another easy to root for guy here.

I also had to check the imdb credentials to make sure I wouldn't feel bad about Virginia and Elizabeth, but both were over 18 when this movie dropped (Ralph, Ralph, Ralph, Ralph, Ralph)...   ;)

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I usually get selective about some of Lon's later roles in the 60s & totally avoid his last movie Dracula vs Frankenstein--too sad and depressing for me to watch. But in the 60s--in amongst some of his International Pictures like La Casa Del Terror--there's quite a few gems to be found & Spider-Baby definitely is the best one I've viewed the handful of times I've watched it. Maybe in my top 10 for Lon Chaney Jr., putting it up there with the well-remembered Universal classics.

The sets, the cast, all superb & I already thought Quinn Redeker was one of the more likeable leads in "Hercules," and he plays another easy to root for guy here.

I also had to check the imdb credentials to make sure I wouldn't feel bad about Virginia and Elizabeth, but both were over 18 when this movie dropped (Ralph, Ralph, Ralph, Ralph, Ralph)...   ;)

LOL, I hear you.  Those girls were in their twenties and young enough to be my daughters.  [pie]  At this point, Carol Ohmart in this film is way more age appropriate for me.  Not a bad thing.

Yeah, I gotta check out more later Chaney for sure.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Doing some research on this one.  The thoughts I had about this being just before the code ended can be thrown out.  Even though released in December 1967, it was filmed August - September 1964.  Not quite on the cusp on the code’s end as I thought, making this a tad racier for its time.

Oh and Diesel, Jill Banner was born November 1946.  So she was 17 after all.  Beverly Washburn was 20.

Good article about this film.

https://www.fandor.com/posts/have-a-freudian-field-day-with-spider-baby
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

This movie also reminds me I need to take time to find some of Mantan Moreland's comedies online. I know he's somewhat serious here as the mailman, but he seems like a comic I might enjoy & I think most of his stuff is PD....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

This movie also reminds me I need to take time to find some of Mantan Moreland's comedies online. I know he's somewhat serious here as the mailman, but he seems like a comic I might enjoy & I think most of his stuff is PD....

He steals the show in KING OF THE ZOMBIES.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I tried... I really did... I ended up fast forwarding through most of it.  But, that strange way Lon Chaney smiles and winks before blowing up the house is just something else...

I guess I just like sci-fi campy more.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I tried... I really did... I ended up fast forwarding through most of it.  But, that strange way Lon Chaney smiles and winks before blowing up the house is just somebody else...

I guess I just like sci-fi campy more.

You mean like PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE type stuff?  I definitely plan on getting to that one.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I actually just saw this for the first time a few months ago and...yeah, it’s not my type of movie. Generally, the types of horror films I tend to prefer are the ones where even as messed up they get, you can see some of the humanity in the “monstrous” characters. Think BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN or Lon Chaney Sr. in THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. The main villains do bad things, but you can tell either from the writing or the performances that society has made them that way by treating them so bad, and it does make you question sometimes who the real villain is in all of this. My big issue here is that the movie is dealing with children. I hate films where the main focus is on creepy children (I also hated that one film where that one kid was the devil; I can’t remember the name). They’re so hard to watch because they’re children, and the films make it seem as though they were the way they were from the beginning, rather than developing those traits because of the way people treat them. The film does explain why they are the way they are, but, again, it seems as though they were like this from the very beginning. I don’t recall any explanation of what they were like when they were younger, and society can’t really be blamed for what happened because...well, Chaney, Jr’s character almost never takes them anywhere. I know I’m probably overthinking all of this, but it’s hard for me to really like something when I just find everything about it disturbing.

Speaking of disturbing, there’s also that opening with one of the girls killing Mantan Moreland. On its own, it’s disturbing enough, but the fact that it’s Mantan Moreland, a comedian who I enjoy so much, just makes it sad. I almost considered quitting watching the movie altogether after seeing that, but I only kept watching because I did want to see Lon Chaney, Jr.’s performance. And...it was OK. I guess it worked for what they needed. A lot of the time Chaney seemed weary, which does make sense in that kind of situation. But at the same time, I didn’t want to see Lon Chaney, Jr. being weary. I wanted to see him dealing more with emotional conflicts, as he and his father did so well. And, yeah, I guess you could argue that he does that here, too, with the conflict between his devotion to the children’s parents and the fact that people’s lives are at stake, but he’s missing for so much of it that he never truly gets to show off that emotional turmoil.

Again, I know I’m probably overthinking this too much, but...man, I just don’t like these types of horror films where it just seems creepy and not much else. Not helping is the predictable side story with the distant relatives coming in with the lawyer that just bores me the few moments I’m not creeped out watching this movie. I know a lot of people like these kinds of horror films, but it’s just not my style. Universal, Hammer, or campy sci-fi films are more my style.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

I actually just saw this for the first time a few months ago and...yeah, it’s not my type of movie. Generally, the types of horror films I tend to prefer are the ones where even as messed up they get, you can see some of the humanity in the “monstrous” characters. Think BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN or Lon Chaney Sr. in THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. The main villains do bad things, but you can tell either from the writing or the performances that society has made them that way by treating them so bad, and it does make you question sometimes who the real villain is in all of this. My big issue here is that the movie is dealing with children. I hate films where the main focus is on creepy children (I also hated that one film where that one kid was the devil; I can’t remember the name). They’re so hard to watch because they’re children, and the films make it seem as though they were the way they were from the beginning, rather than developing those traits because of the way people treat them. The film does explain why they are the way they are, but, again, it seems as though they were like this from the very beginning. I don’t recall any explanation of what they were like when they were younger, and society can’t really be blamed for what happened because...well, Chaney, Jr’s character almost never takes them anywhere. I know I’m probably overthinking all of this, but it’s hard for me to really like something when I just find everything about it disturbing.

Speaking of disturbing, there’s also that opening with one of the girls killing Mantan Moreland. On its own, it’s disturbing enough, but the fact that it’s Mantan Moreland, a comedian who I enjoy so much, just makes it sad. I almost considered quitting watching the movie altogether after seeing that, but I only kept watching because I did want to see Lon Chaney, Jr.’s performance. And...it was OK. I guess it worked for what they needed. A lot of the time Chaney seemed weary, which does make sense in that kind of situation. But at the same time, I didn’t want to see Lon Chaney, Jr. being weary. I wanted to see him dealing more with emotional conflicts, as he and his father did so well. And, yeah, I guess you could argue that he does that here, too, with the conflict between his devotion to the children’s parents and the fact that people’s lives are at stake, but he’s missing for so much of it that he never truly gets to show off that emotional turmoil.

Again, I know I’m probably overthinking this too much, but...man, I just don’t like these types of horror films where it just seems creepy and not much else. Not helping is the predictable side story with the distant relatives coming in with the lawyer that just bores me the few moments I’m not creeped out watching this movie. I know a lot of people like these kinds of horror films, but it’s just not my style. Universal, Hammer, or campy sci-fi films are more my style.

Well, you’re right in this case from the beginning the children were messed up in this film.  If you want to look for how society screwed them up, the situation that did it was their conception.  There’s a point in the film where Lon admits they were a product of incest (which in real life causes all kinds of genetic problems) and that’s where this “Merrye Syndrome” came from.  Those kids basically never had a chance from the moment they were conceived.  If anyone is to be blamed, it’s the parents for merely getting together and conceiving them and that’s incredibly tragic.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Well, you’re right in this case from the beginning the children were messed up in this film.  If you want to look for how society screwed them up, the situation that did it was their conception.  There’s a point in the film where Lon admits they were a product of incest (which in real life causes all kinds of genetic problems) and that’s where this “Merrye Syndrome” came from.  Those kids basically never had a chance from the moment they were conceived.  If anyone is to be blamed, it’s the parents for merely getting together and conceiving them and that’s incredibly tragic.

Well, by society, I was meaning more the outside world besides their family, but yes, the incest thing was the reason for all these problems.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
You mean like PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE type stuff?  I definitely plan on getting to that one.

Yes, the type of sci-fi where the cheesy effects/makeup and/or bad acting just makes it impossible to take seriously, like Star Trek: TOS, most Ed Wood movies, or even bad episodes of The Twilight Zone.  Those I wish I could explore more.  I sometimes laugh aloud during those supposedly straight dramas.
#1 fire kibitzer