Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Jack and the Beanstalk (1952) - Abbott and Costello

Offline metaldams

JACK AND THE BEANSTALK is one of those independently produced films Bud and Lou were allowed to make outside of Universal Studios and in this case, was distributed by Warner Brothers.  It also falls into the tradition of established film comedians working with a well known children’s tale like the latter SNOW WHITE AND THE THREE STOOGES, the earlier Laurel and Hardy film BABES IN TOYLAND and the even earlier and recently discussed WIZARD OF OZ from Larry Semon.  Minus Stan and Ollie’s opus, I prefer Bud and Lou’s film best of these and even in the case of BABES IN TOYLAND, it may only be because I had more familiarity there as a child where JACK AND THE BEANSTALK I didn’t see until my early twenties.  Yes, when we see films in life definitely shapes our impressions.  But yeah, JACK AND THE BEANSTALK properly features the comedians, unlike The Stooge film and is respectful to the source material, unlike the Semon film.

Speaking of THE WIZARD OF OZ, I think it’s safe to say the 1939 version had an influence on JACK AND THE BEANSTALK.  Both films start with a modern day story in sepia toned film and enters a world of technicolor once we get into the fantasy element.  Yes, for the first time ever, an Abbott and Costello feature is in technicolor and with all the fairy tale elements, looks quite beautiful, a total feast for the eye.  Another similarity to THE WIZARD OF OZ is that the adult actors who play a big role in the modern day sequence all play a corresponding character in the fantasy sequence.  The cop, played by Buddy Baer, is also The Giant.  The receptionist, played by Dorothy Ford, is also The Giant’s servant.  The young couple, played by Shaye Cohan and James Alexander, are The Princess and The Prince and Bud and Lou are Mr. Dinklepuss and Jack.

The story of JACK AND THE BEANSTALK is very familiar to most people and like mentioned earlier, this film is respectful of the source material.  Lou Costello’s on screen character is always very child like and it serves him well playing Jack.  His interactions with his on screen mother are quite funny - the poor mother sees a son who can’t grow up and Lou plays the blissfully innocent.  The perfect character type to be ripped off by Bud’s Mr. Dinklepuss, easily being convinced that magic beans are more valuable than gold.  Hey, at least magic beans can’t be printed out of thin air - but I digress.  Speaking of greedy Bud, we get that in JACK AND THE BEANSTALK and that’s always good Bud.  While not quite reaching the diamond hungry heights in AFRICA SCREAMS, Bud is still great wanting that chicken who lays the golden egg. 

As far as the comedy goes, some good slapstick type stuff towards the end when Lou encounters The Giant.  I like the fact gunpowder makes for explosive eggs in the middle of the film and the gag gets revisited towards the climatic chase - some good writing there.  As already mentioned, Bud is in greedy mode throughout and it’s a riot when he is honest about his dishonesty to The Giant.  Let that sentence sink in.  Lou’s dance with Dorothy Ford is a definite highlight.  Ms. Ford was a statuesque beauty for sure.  She was billed as 6’2”, though she may have been 5’11” according to Wikipedia - tall either way.  Add the fact she wore heels and Lou Costello was 5’5” and it makes it so there was a big height difference between the two.  This height difference gets played to great comic effect.  Lou tries to lift her to no avail, but she easily lifts him.  Whenever he tries to get touchy, she smacks him.  At the beginning of the number, she doesn’t even see him briefly because he’s much shorter.  Lots of falling and clumsiness all around, a really funny sequence overall.  The shadow scene with The Giant is also very funny, kind of like a mini mirror sequence.

For the second film in a row, we get musical numbers just like in the old days, four of them to be exact.  Three of them I actually like.  Again, like WIZARD OF OZ, there’s a fantasy/fairy tale element here where music is actually appropriate, so I’m fine with it here.  The one exception in the middle of the film is the straight sappy romance number, not my style but your mileage may vary.  On the plus side, though, Lou Costello gets a solo musical number, comic and light in nature, and does a fine job.  He got to do a little number in HERE COME THE CO-EDS, but other than that, we usually don’t get to see him do this kind of thing, so a refreshing change of pace.

So JACK AND THE BEANSTALK is a good kids film and one I wish I saw when I was younger.  Like most of these second half Bud and Lou features, the old burlesque routines are gone, but we do get a simple and fun film that looks great, tells a familiar story and features familiar and enjoyable on screen comedians.  Nothing wrong with any of that.  Definitely in the better half of Bud and Lou films if not for being representative of their comedy, then at least for seeing them stretch out and making something that’s timeless and entertaining.  Public domain, easy to see on YouTube or in the dollar bin at any convenience store.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

Offline stooge_o_phile

I like the fact gunpowder makes for explosive eggs...

Giant: Fix me a small omelette.

Lou: Two eggs?

Giant: TWENTY TWO!

:laugh: