Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Jerks of All Trades (1949) - Three Stooges TV Pilot

Offline metaldams

It feels like I’m reviewing a Three Stooges short again.  While about five or six minutes longer than the average short and filmed in front of a live audience in one day (10/12/1949), material wise and in spirit, this is as close as we’re getting to a short without actually being one.  JERKS OF ALL TRADES is an excellent and highly entertaining TV Pilot that never got off the ground because sadly, Columbia deemed it competition to the two reelers and threatened legal action.  Between watching this and some of those Edward Bernds directed Bowery Boys films, I am convinced now more than ever The Three Stooges should have left Columbia in either the late forties or early fifties on an artistic level.  I can’t speak financially, but artistically, it is clear the boys had other avenues where they could have performed and probably to more satisfying results.

A lot of this material feels very much like it belongs in a Columbia short.  We have the boys as wall paper hangers and painters providing services to snobby people, we have the old warhorse of file cabinet routine, we have the Texas gag, we have Larry trying to escape in his “black banana” outfit similar to the filmed before but released after THREE HAMS ON RYE.  We also get a few gags that do not show up in Columbia shorts.  The gag where they do a striptease of the painting on the wall of the young girl, peeling off the layers of the painting, revealing less clothing each time until when you think she’s going to be naked a witches faces and boxing gloves pop out is quite funny and a bit risqué for the Columbia shorts.  Maybe that gag would have fit in in the early sixties Derita features, where the occasional dirty old man gag shows up.  Then there’s the great salesman bit where the poor guy, obviously bound by a sales script, has to start over from scratch because The Three Stooges keep interrupting him.  A gag that works very well, is milked brilliantly and has a nice twist ending.  Pretty much everything here is funny stuff.

As far as the performances, everybody does well here.  This is live in front of an audience and as far as I can tell, I do not detect a line flub of any kind, showing how well rehearsed and professional The Three Stooges and the rest of the cast are.  There is a different kind of energy involved hearing live audience laughter.  As far as the slaps go, there are no sound effects so there is a tad more realism involved.  I notice Emil Sitka’s slaps seem just a tad harder than when Moe slaps the other Stooges, but all in all, there is a good balance overall between making it look real and protecting who is being slapped, kind of like professional wrestling in that sense.

Oh yes, there’s the supporting cast.  Speaks well of The Three Stooges relationship with Emil Sitka and Symona Boniface that they would join the boys for a production outside of Columbia.  Both are excellent here, Sitka in ill tempered mode and Symona as the snooty housewife - SURELY you know who Whistler is!  A pleasure watching both and this is definitely Symona’s last Stooge performance and almost last ever.  She did appear in one Columbia serial released shortly after her death which I have no idea what the production dates are, but JERKS OF ALL TRADES was filmed eleven months before she passed, so a farewell to one of the greats of Stoogedom.  Dink Trout, a man who never appeared with the boys at Columbia, plays the salesman and does a fine job here - he’d pass away from cancer a mere five months later.

So yes, JERKS OF ALL TRADES is a very entertaining piece of Stooge history that makes one wonder what might of been.  If you look at the door at the end of the pilot, they had several different occupations listed so I imagine there were no shortage of ideas.  Also, to show we’re in TV land, Shemp gets the sponsor’s name plastered on his backside.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
JERKS OF ALL TRADES was a fantastic effort that really shows what the trio could do.  Sadly, indeed, Columbia blocked it.  You would think the smart thing to do would have been for Columbia to make the boys do the show for them instead of ABC, but alas that's history.  But it's amazing to consider that this is 1949.

Metaldams covered the most significant parts.  It was indeed strange having no sound effects, and Emil Sitka and Symona Boniface are beyond superb.  It's fun seeing many of their gags done with their own personal interpretations (or perhaps those of ABC's director).  No complaints here.

"Babysitters (Over Age 18)"... my kind of baby!  Woo woo!

10/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

JERKS OF ALL TRADES was a fantastic effort that really shows what the trio could do.  Sadly, indeed, Columbia blocked it.  You would think the smart thing to do would have been for Columbia to make the boys do the show for them instead of ABC, but alas that's history.  But it's amazing to consider that this is 1949.

Metaldams covered the most significant parts.  It was indeed strange having no sound effects, and Emil Sitka and Symona Boniface are beyond superb.  It's fun seeing many of their gags done with their own personal interpretations (or perhaps those of ABC's director).  No complaints here.

"Babysitters (Over Age 18)"... my kind of baby!  Woo woo!

10/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]

Yes, the “Babysitters (Over Age 18)” on the door really does make me wonder what direction this show would have went.  Makes me wonder more what they were like on stage as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

The whole idea for this series, in which the Stooges try doing a different job each week, really was a good idea for them and was probably a pretty unique idea at the time given the limited amount of TV programs available. It’s a shame it never went on to become a full series, because the pilot is extremely funny.

It really is interesting seeing the Stooges actually do this live without sound effects. In a way, the laughter of the audience actually replaces the sound effects, as they’re basically laughing every time Moe gives a slap to one of the other Stooges. I doubt that it’s really a representation of the Stooges’ stage act in the same way that PLANE NUTS was a representation of their stage act with Healy, but it still does have that unique, live feeling to it that you really couldn’t get when the Stooges did films or their actual TV series, THE NEW THREE STOOGES.

Emil Sitka and Symona Boniface are just as good here as they were in anything else they did with the Stooges at the time. I especially like whenever Emil Sitka references (clap, clap, clap, clap) Texas. The Stooges made him so crazy that they’re getting him to talk about Texas in the way that only they ever do.

Basically all of the gags work here: Larry and Shemp throwing food at the walls, Shemp hitting Moe with the typewriter, failing to paint the table. My favorite scene is definitely the pressure cooker gag. I don’t believe the Stooges ever did this routine in one of their shorts (although Mel Blanc did do a similar gag on the TV series, ANGEL). Regardless, it totally feels like a routine they would have had experience with. The timing is perfect on their end and they also have the benefit of having Dink Trout playing the pressure cooker. Trout specialized in wimpy characters, usually on radio shows like THE DENNIS DAY SHOW and LIFE OF RILEY, and also occasionally appeared in Disney cartoons (he voiced the King of Hearts in ALICE IN WONDERLAND). He was really funny in these types of roles and it’s a shame that he only got to work with the Stooges one time before his much too early death.

This turned up just about any time I bought a public domain Three Stooges DVD, and it was never a disappointment. It’s a pilot that maintains some of their Columbia gags and supporting players, while also adding in some fresh gags and an outside supporting player, all of which feel like they could have fit in the Columbia shorts as well. This is definitely worth watching if you’re a fan of the Stooges.

10 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

The whole idea for this series, in which the Stooges try doing a different job each week, really was a good idea for them and was probably a pretty unique idea at the time given the limited amount of TV programs available. It’s a shame it never went on to become a full series, because the pilot is extremely funny.

It really is interesting seeing the Stooges actually do this live without sound effects. In a way, the laughter of the audience actually replaces the sound effects, as they’re basically laughing every time Moe gives a slap to one of the other Stooges. I doubt that it’s really a representation of the Stooges’ stage act in the same way that PLANE NUTS was a representation of their stage act with Healy, but it still does have that unique, live feeling to it that you really couldn’t get when the Stooges did films or their actual TV series, THE NEW THREE STOOGES.

Emil Sitka and Symona Boniface are just as good here as they were in anything else they did with the Stooges at the time. I especially like whenever Emil Sitka references (clap, clap, clap, clap) Texas. The Stooges made him so crazy that they’re getting him to talk about Texas in the way that only they ever do.

Basically all of the gags work here: Larry and Shemp throwing food at the walls, Shemp hitting Moe with the typewriter, failing to paint the table. My favorite scene is definitely the pressure cooker gag. I don’t believe the Stooges ever did this routine in one of their shorts (although Mel Blanc did do a similar gag on the TV series, ANGEL). Regardless, it totally feels like a routine they would have had experience with. The timing is perfect on their end and they also have the benefit of having Dink Trout playing the pressure cooker. Trout specialized in wimpy characters, usually on radio shows like THE DENNIS DAY SHOW and LIFE OF RILEY, and also occasionally appeared in Disney cartoons (he voiced the King of Hearts in ALICE IN WONDERLAND). He was really funny in these types of roles and it’s a shame that he only got to work with the Stooges one time before his much too early death.

This turned up just about any time I bought a public domain Three Stooges DVD, and it was never a disappointment. It’s a pilot that maintains some of their Columbia gags and supporting players, while also adding in some fresh gags and an outside supporting player, all of which feel like they could have fit in the Columbia shorts as well. This is definitely worth watching if you’re a fan of the Stooges.

10 out of 10

Good info on Dink Trout, you’re definitely the go to Disney guy on the board.  It is a shame he didn’t appear with The Three Stooges more.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Toast5884

I really love watching this because it's the closest thing you really have to seeing the Stooges live, at least to my knowledge. And hearing how much the audience is laughing feels like a vindication of how funny the Stooges really were. The only thing that feels dated is the voice over. Aside from that, everything great has been covered by metaldams.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I remember the first time watching this, the first few minutes in, I think I missed some of the Columbia sound effects--but it's such a good episode that I quickly get over it. For a film that was lost for so many years & probably not well taken care of, I would say the picture quality is better than average. As for the material, it could be a mix of well known stooge standards & perhaps some more risque vaudeville & it all works well.

I loved in no particular order, the insane California traffic, My name is Fink, and the redone painting the table gags from Tassels in the Air. I was going to cite the excellent A snitch in Time, but the nerd in me remembered that "Jerks" probably preceded that short by a few months (if that).

A good farewell for the great Symona Boniface, who wasn't as prevalent in the Shemp era as she was with Curly; but an outstanding supporting player, nonetheless. And Emil Sitka is once again playing a "rickety, old codger," always a good time....

9/10...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I remember the first time watching this, the first few minutes in, I think I missed some of the Columbia sound effects--but it's such a good episode that I quickly get over it. For a film that was lost for so many years & probably not well taken care of, I would say the picture quality is better than average. As for the material, it could be a mix of well known stooge standards & perhaps some more risque vaudeville & it all works well.

I loved in no particular order, the insane California traffic, My name is Fink, and the redone painting the table gags from Tassels in the Air. I was going to cite the excellent A snitch in Time, but the nerd in me remembered that "Jerks" probably preceded that short by a few months (if that).

A good farewell for the great Symona Boniface, who wasn't as prevalent in the Shemp era as she was with Curly; but an outstanding supporting player, nonetheless. And Emil Sitka is once again playing a "rickety, old codger," always a good time....

9/10...

Shot two months before A SNITCH IN TIME.  You win a free shirt pocket pencil pouch.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
I wonder how this one would have fared as a proper Columbia two-reeler. I don't know why, I'm almost kind of picturing an alternate ending not unlike the ending of ALL THE WORLD'S A STOOGE or LISTEN, JUDGE, where the homeowner grabs a weapon or projectile and the Stooges leap out a window and run down the street.

I always liked the pressure cooker scene with Dink Trout, especially the brief moment when the dialogue gets all mixed up between the four.

The "quaint/quisn't" dialogue (which re-appears in a Joe short) was my old signature here. That exchange gets frequently quoted by my stepbrother and I.

"'Dear Sir...'"
*lengthy clacking*
"What do you got so far?"
"How do you spell 'Sir?'"
"In your case, C-U-R."
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Count Jerome “Curley” von Gehrol

• Generalissimo of the Televania Republican Armed Forces
  • Grapehead
  • I am the dimwitted brother of Count Alfred Gherol.
I remember owning a DVD that had this, some of the live action wraparounds from the Three New Stooges (it had the safari one, the wallpaper one, and the dentist one), capped off with The Swing Parade of 1946. After recently rewatching this, I have come to believe that the Three Stooges should have switched to TV since short subjects were all but dead (I remember metaladams mentioning that Columbia was one of the last of the major studios still producing them). I say this because there was easily enough material to fill the time, there were no shortages of ideas for future episodes (heck, some of the shorts from the early 50s could easily have been worked into episodes), the budget likely would have been a lot more generous if it had become a smash hit as television started to become a more and more popular medium (or at least more steady), last minute cast changes might have been less of a problem, and since this was in the early days of television, competition would not have been too stiff.

Moe, Larry, and Shemp would have been further aided by the fact that they were already widely known as the Three Stooges which would have given them a major head start. This is just my opinion of course as I am pretty sure there are obstacles that I have missed (moral guardians would likely have still come after them) and I know nothing about show business. [3stooges]
Miss Arvin, may I present to you Admiral Taylor, Commander Button, and Captain Presser.

Offline metaldams

If they would have left Columbia at this time and did television, we would have missed a few years of mostly good shorts, but probably have gained some good TV episodes.  If they started television after Hugh McCollum and Edward Bernds left Columbia - no brainer.  Either that or make features like The Bowery Boys were.  Even the live stage gigs dried up shortly after and comedy shorts were indeed a dead medium by that time.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Count Jerome “Curley” von Gehrol

• Generalissimo of the Televania Republican Armed Forces
  • Grapehead
  • I am the dimwitted brother of Count Alfred Gherol.
I forgot to mention that the DVD that I had also had the WWI wraparound with Harold Brauer (I believe it was the second or third one in the compilation).
Miss Arvin, may I present to you Admiral Taylor, Commander Button, and Captain Presser.